Reload this Page >

Don't Come to Australia

Don't Come to Australia

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't Come to Australia

Originally Posted by kporte
Ah Martin, It's all the see ya! and don't let the door hit yer bum comments!
Plus I'm in a bad mood!
Come on. Cheer up. That's just the natural response to a flounce. And as flounces go the last line is a beaut.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Come on. Cheer up. That's just the natural response to a flounce. And as flounces go the last line is a beaut.
I'm due a flounce as I was meant to be going back to work this morning but the "new" car wouldn't start. The last one is still waiting to be collected by the wreckers!!
Anyway, fixed now, the dodgy dealer replaced a stuffed fuel line!
This wouldn't have happened in good old Blighty!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:44 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
But I don't pay the tax man, I don't pay the police. I didn't pay the librarian.

With things like driving licences or even citizenship you're paying for the product not the person to his/her job.

GPs are about the only "government" thing I can think of that I pay for personally that I didn't pay for in the UK (and there's obviously the choice of bulk billing). On the other hand I don't have to pay the "government" to watch TV.

So what is the OP saying? It's the same as elsewhere but somehow it's horrid when the Aussies do it?
Without clarification it's only supposition, IMO the OP was referring to those first few weeks when everywhere you go your handing over cash to people.
In my own case:
Drivers licence $70
DET $300 to look at my City & Guilds quals for 2 mins
Trade Assessor $115 looked at one job
Three day business course $415
Licence application $405
Every tradie has to do the same it's just that as a new arrival it seems like it's all pay pay pay for more red tape lol
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:34 am
Just Joined

ingridhart is an unknown quantity at this point

There are alot of points you have made I would agree with, Australia is not what you think it is, once you get past the initial set up of living here reality sets in and you really begin to miss home, I applaud your'e honesty and I think more should be aware of the cost of living here. I have been here a year and am still settling in. The annoying thing is that Australians don't know they are being ripped off, Telstra is the most incompetent company I have ever had to deal with, the duopoly of Coles and Woolworths is a disgrace, bring in Tesco and shoot them down.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ingridhart
the duopoly of Coles and Woolworths is a disgrace, bring in Tesco and shoot them down.
Do you really believe that Tesco are an ethical business or any better than those two ? You do not become the worlds number 4 retailer by being nice I'm afraid.

Australia should be proud of the fact that it still have the majority of retailers who are independent. Something that cannot be said of the UK for a great many years since the coming of the superstore and the demise of the small family business.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cresta57
Without clarification it's only supposition, IMO the OP was referring to those first few weeks when everywhere you go your handing over cash to people.
In my own case:
Drivers licence $70
DET $300 to look at my City & Guilds quals for 2 mins
Trade Assessor $115 looked at one job
Three day business course $415
Licence application $405
Every tradie has to do the same it's just that as a new arrival it seems like it's all pay pay pay for more red tape lol
That's not really paying people to do their job.

I appreciate that some people feel the red tape as they cram 20 years of form filling into 2 weeks but I find it odd that people think this is an Aussie thing rather than a moving to another country thing.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ingridhart
The annoying thing is that Australians don't know they are being ripped off,
Ripped Off ?

Are you trying to say that Australians don't check the price and availability of an Australian product or service before deciding to purchase.

Or are you just making a 'comparison' between Australian prices and UK prices ?

ie. Baked beans in Tesco's Bradford are only 10p a tin, but I have to pay $1 here in Australia, therefore I'm being ripped off.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Tesco hasn't been able to manage the market penetration of Coles and Woolies so not quite sure how they're going to shake things up.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does nearly every thread end up talking about Tescos? Why??????? It's only a ghastly supermarket, not superman.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:54 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why does nearly every thread end up talking about Tescos? Why??????? It's only a ghastly supermarket, not superman.
Have you seen the price of lettuce in this country!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Have you seen the price of lettuce in this country!
Yes. I had to buy six large Cos lettuces for work the other day - $3.67 each in Woolies. Normally go to the fruit and veg place but as it was for work, it was easier to go to Woolies. Complete outrage. I was tempted to write and complain to someone but then realised that shit happens, I couldn't really care less and got on with life.

Maybe I need counselling.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I had to buy six large Cos lettuces for work the other day - $3.67 each in Woolies. Normally go to the fruit and veg place but as it was for work, it was easier to go to Woolies. Complete outrage. I was tempted to write and complain to someone but then realised that shit happens, I couldn't really care less and got on with life.

Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:42 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh God... not the "its cheaper at the fruit and veg man" line again. !!

There are two fruit and veg shops near me... one sits directly facing a Coles, the other directly facing a Woolworths... and neither of them is cheaper than their supermarket rival if you start comparing like for like. I hear the line that its cheaper at the fruit and veg man all the time... and cheaper at the local butcher... and from my own personal experience... no it bloody isn't.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:45 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive often heard the saying on here that when people have ponged back to the UK, they have 'literally kissed the tarmac on landing'.

I wonder if anyone has actually done that, fallen to their knees and kissed the tarmac. I would pay to see that.

I dont give a shit about Tesco or any other supermarket in the UK because I dont live there. Neither do I give a hoot about how much fruit and veg is here because I live here and have the choice - buy it or dont buy it.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Oh God... not the "its cheaper at the fruit and veg man" line again. !!

There are two fruit and veg shops near me... one sits directly facing a Coles, the other directly facing a Woolworths... and neither of them is cheaper than their supermarket rival if you start comparing like for like. I hear the line that its cheaper at the fruit and veg man all the time... and cheaper at the local butcher... and from my own personal experience... no it bloody isn't.
Well it is at mine so yah boo sucks to you It's not near a Woolies or Coles either but that's kind of irrelevant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.