Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does pregnancy affect visa?

Does pregnancy affect visa?

Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does pregnancy affect visa?

Originally Posted by jayne3411
Hi thanks again for the replies it's a state sponsored business visa, we have already been given state sponsorship just sent off to the perth government. hope this dosen't delay it too much. Well i'll keep you updated.
As far as I am aware visa will not be granted until all applicants have done medicals.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
If a medical is required for the visa then you'd have to cross that hurdle before it was granted.

So these are your questions...

Do you need a medical with x-rays for your visa application? I don't know about your visa type so I can't answer.

If you need x-rays then you might be able to find a doctor who will do it (if you're willing to). If you can't find a doctor then you'd have to wait until the baby is born and has a passport in order to do the medicals.

If you do have the medicals and your visa is granted then you would either have to move to Oz before the baby is born and have baby here. Or you'd have to stay in the UK and apply for a child visa once the baby is born. Then you could move over.
Except that they are applying (it seems) for a temporary state sponsored business visa, so if they have a child born in the U.K. then they can't sponsor for a child visa.

I reall don't know what the pathway to get a visa for the child would be in those circumstances (ask a good agent dealing in this area).

If child is born in Australia it's different because child would automatically get the same visa as the parents. (where parents are temporary residents).
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
What is the general opinion on x rays in pregnancy Ive been told you need to be 3 months and the risk is very small .
Opinion is divided.

The main concern is not to the fetus, but to the fetus's gametes. (ie their eggs). That is that baby might be perfect, but baby's babies (ie your grandkids) MAY be affected. There is also a smaller chance that the xray might increase the risk of cancer in the fetus.

Pelvic shielding is strongly recommend

All this said, if I were in your shoes, I'd get the chest xray while pregnant (between 12 weeks and 18 or so) wearing a shield. But, each to their own

(Later weeks, fetus is bigger so squishes things up inside mummy's abdomen)

Batty x-ray could give better, up-to-date advice
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:07 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Ozzidoc;5738282]Opinion is divided.

The main concern is not to the fetus, but to the fetus's gametes. (ie their eggs). That is that baby might be perfect, but baby's babies (ie your grandkids) MAY be affected. There is also a smaller chance that the xray might increase the risk of cancer in the fetus.

Pelvic shielding is strongly recommend

All this said, if I were in your shoes, I'd get the chest xray while pregnant (between 12 weeks and 18 or so) wearing a shield. But, each to their own

(Later weeks, fetus is bigger so squishes things up inside mummy's abdomen)

Batty x-ray could give better, up-to-date advice [/QUOTE

Ah i see but still better than i thought the lead shield is good enough to protect the baby. Thanks im going to look for batty x-ray now
feel a bit better about it all now
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:03 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that they are applying (it seems) for a temporary state sponsored business visa, so if they have a child born in the U.K. then they can't sponsor for a child visa.

I reall don't know what the pathway to get a visa for the child would be in those circumstances (ask a good agent dealing in this area).

If child is born in Australia it's different because child would automatically get the same visa as the parents. (where parents are temporary residents).
Thanks JAJ. I didn't know that you couldn't apply for a child visa like that.

So I guess in this circumstance they really need to do the x-ray and get the visa so they can get over in time. Unless there's an agent on here who knows the answer....
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by comet555
Thanks JAJ. I didn't know that you couldn't apply for a child visa like that.
You normally can - but but if you're not a permanent visa holder. There are special provisions for holders of temporary spouse visas, but I just don't know what the arrangements are (if any) for temporary business visa holders in this situation.

So I guess in this circumstance they really need to do the x-ray and get the visa so they can get over in time. Unless there's an agent on here who knows the answer....
Or put the whole thing on hold until the baby arrives, and then include the child in the application.

If the original poster had wanted agents to look at the question it may have been better to put it in the immigration forum. But I would have thought most business skill migrants would use an agent anyway.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

roottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jayne3411
Hello everyone

We are in process of going through visa which has only recently gone to the perth government. The visa is in my husbands name and myself and two kids going with him. I,ve just found out i'm pregnant, not planned, early days, but need to consider now. Will this have an effect on us getting the visa?
Thanks jane
hi jayne

I just got my 457 visa through and we are heading out to perth at the end of the month it all could have been sorted out by october but my partner was pregnant with our second child, Its due to the medicals and xrays also there was something to do with flying while in the later stages, You can get all the other stuff sorted out though in the meantime, My son was born on the 15th of nov and its been a mad rush getting passports and medicals etc sorted out but time flys when your busy, I just took the advice of my sponsors migration agent but you never know there might be a way round this problem good luck with the future anyway. Mike