British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Does pregnancy affect visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/does-pregnancy-affect-visa-502047/)

jayne3411 Dec 28th 2007 1:23 pm

Does pregnancy affect visa?

Hello everyone

We are in process of going through visa which has only recently gone to the perth government. The visa is in my husbands name and myself and two kids going with him. I,ve just found out i'm pregnant, not planned, early days, but need to consider now. Will this have an effect on us getting the visa?:confused:
Thanks jane

Timber Floor Au Dec 28th 2007 1:26 pm

Re: Does pregnancy affect visa?

Originally Posted by jayne3411 (Post 5712281)
Hello everyone

We are in process of going through visa which has only recently gone to the perth government. The visa is in my husbands name and myself and two kids going with him. I,ve just found out i'm pregnant, not planned, early days, but need to consider now. Will this have an effect on us getting the visa?:confused:
Thanks jane

when you say its gone to perth government, what stage are you at...??

I wouldnt have thought pregnancy was a burden to affect your visa... perhaps your flight tho

Fly Away Dec 28th 2007 1:33 pm

Have you had your medical for the visa? That is the important question.

Timber Floor Au Dec 28th 2007 1:46 pm

Why would pregnancy be a deal at a medical?

I was aware that the medical only covered general well being and non explosive diseases that would burden the well respected Aussie Health System, surely being pregnant wouldnt be an issue at a medical, unless of course xrays are reqd.

JAJ Dec 28th 2007 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5712347)
Why would pregnancy be a deal at a medical?

I was aware that the medical only covered general well being and non explosive diseases that would burden the well respected Aussie Health System, surely being pregnant wouldnt be an issue at a medical, unless of course xrays are reqd.

It's not except that some doctors (not all) do not advise carrying out an X-ray. If that's the case then everything needs to go on hold until baby arrives.

Timber Floor Au Dec 28th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5712348)
It's not except that some doctors (not all) do not advise carrying out an X-ray. If that's the case then everything needs to go on hold until baby arrives.

Yep, its pretty obvious that xrays cannot be done, during certain terms of the pregnancy.
Irrespective of whether the Dr wants to or not, I was sure it was a total no no, past say .. so many weeks lol

But if her ( presume its a her ) without looking.. has sent visas off to Perth , then they may have fast tracked Meds.

Mind you... if thats the case and visa is granted how do you explain a spare kid on application !!!

JAJ Dec 28th 2007 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5712354)
Yep, its pretty obvious that xrays cannot be done, during certain terms of the pregnancy.
Irrespective of whether the Dr wants to or not, I was sure it was a total no no, past say .. so many weeks lol

It's not a "total no-no" as it is possible to use lead shielding. There are differences of professional opinion between medical practitioners on this.

movin'on Dec 28th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jayne3411 (Post 5712281)
Hello everyone

Thanks jane

Hi Jane
We are in almost exactly the same boat - except haven't sent anything off yet. We'll be going to Perth on a 457 - only accepted the job on xmas eve so need to look into all the visa stuff. However I wanted to say hi - we have 2 kids and I'm 12 weeks pregnant with surprise number 3!
Good luck and maybe see you in Perth!
Jane

Ozzidoc Dec 28th 2007 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5712456)
It's not a "total no-no" as it is possible to use lead shielding. There are differences of professional opinion between medical practitioners on this.

Thank you :)

jayne3411 Dec 29th 2007 5:26 pm

thank you for you replies, the visa is about six months away from really being approved i'm lead to believe. The x rays I hadn't considered! Lets say we were granted a visa pending meds and police checks, how long after you,ve had the nod for the visa do your med have to follow?:confused:

The visa is valid for four years when does this start? another matter to consider?:confused:My oh said yest the other passengers are going to love us with a baby, i'll let you know the flight so you can avoid it:p

Thanks jane

JAJ Dec 29th 2007 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by jayne3411 (Post 5716453)
thank you for you replies, the visa is about six months away from really being approved i'm lead to believe. The x rays I hadn't considered! Lets say we were granted a visa pending meds and police checks, how long after you,ve had the nod for the visa do your med have to follow?:confused:

The visa is valid for four years when does this start?

What kind of visa is it?

Timber Floor Au Dec 29th 2007 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by jayne3411 (Post 5716453)

The visa is valid for four years when does this start? another matter to consider?:confused:My oh said yest the other passengers are going to love us with a baby, i'll let you know the flight so you can avoid it:p

Thanks jane

Regarding NOD for the visa...

you send in your main application, get given a case officer ( generally this is ) and say 4-6 months later ( varies ) get asked to get meds and pc done..

If my recollection is correct, then after the meds etc are sent.. our visa took about 4 - 6 months to come thru, may have been shorter...

jayne3411 Dec 30th 2007 4:15 pm

Hi thanks again for the replies it's a state sponsored business visa, we have already been given state sponsorship just sent off to the perth government. hope this dosen't delay it too much. Well i'll keep you updated. :thumbsup:

Hapy new year everyone
jane:rofl:

Baby75 Jan 4th 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 5713028)
Thank you :)

What is the general opinion on x rays in pregnancy Ive been told you need to be 3 months and the risk is very small .

comet555 Jan 4th 2008 11:00 am

If a medical is required for the visa then you'd have to cross that hurdle before it was granted.

So these are your questions...

Do you need a medical with x-rays for your visa application? I don't know about your visa type so I can't answer.

If you need x-rays then you might be able to find a doctor who will do it (if you're willing to). If you can't find a doctor then you'd have to wait until the baby is born and has a passport in order to do the medicals.

If you do have the medicals and your visa is granted then you would either have to move to Oz before the baby is born and have baby here. Or you'd have to stay in the UK and apply for a child visa once the baby is born. Then you could move over.