Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's not an issue of temperature though, is it? I mean, Perth doesn't exactly hit -30°C every year.

That's just a case of you being cold in a house that's not designed for the cold.

A little of both I think. The part of Canada I'm from generally doesn't get as cold as -30. It's middle of winter right now and -6. I've had to scrape my car here, so it does get pretty cold in the middle of July.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not cold temperature wise but it's freezing in my world, after dark in winter. If the gauge drops below 20 I'm in jeans and a jumper and if it goes below 16 I expect the wood burner to be going and the thick, double tog rating duvet is on the bed. However even after a chilly/cold night, the days are gorgeous. That's how it is in Penny's world on the GC. Others would disagree but they're not reptiles like me
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A little of both I think. The part of Canada I'm from generally doesn't get as cold as -30. It's middle of winter right now and -6. I've had to scrape my car here, so it does get pretty cold in the middle of July.
Fair enough; makes sense.

Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Others would disagree but they're not reptiles like me
Snake?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Snake?
Don't know. Just do know that him outdoors calls me a reptile because of cold blood. I do make bloody good pastry though because my hands never get hot
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it does get cold but where I am from in Adelaide it doesn't get anywhere near the freezing temperatures I experienced whilst in the UK last year. Another difference is the Sun! We might get a few grey days but a lot of the time even when it is cool the sun is still out. I couldn't believe how dark and gloomy the UK was in Winter, it was so depressing!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I've been here almost 3 years and the coldest day I've experienced so far is 9 degrees in the day and around 1 at night but then we are on the Peninsula which is a bit warmer. I think it gets colder if you go out to the Dandenongs etc.

The good thing about winter is that the days are a couple of hours longer than Britain which helps with the old SAD. Also we very rarely get what we call a British day where it is grey all day, most days we do get sun. It can be yuk in the morning but clears up by the afternoon.

The hardest thing I find is not the cold outside but the cold INSIDE! You know you don't mind getting cold if you go home to a nice warm house, well unless you've got a wood burner then forget it here! If you have the warm air heating it's not worth leaving it on whilst you are out because as soon as it turns off it's cold again within 15 mins, it does heat the place up pretty quickly when it's on but the houses are so badly insulated and built and no double glazing everything you do just disappears.

Having said that I have been into houses where it is nice and warm and then I find out what their gas bill is each month I'm hoping our new house being new and facing the right way to catch the sun will be better..a nice warm centrally heated house is something I really miss!

I think it is also because we have now got used to the hot summers that 20 seems cold now. I look at the weather and think...early 20's...oo not nice enough for the beach and yet if we were in the UK we'd all be down there stirpping off!

But I've not yet worn my big coats I shipped over, I've worn scarf and gloves (that's because I get cold hands) and boots occasionally. I should add that I have managed to escape the worst of winter here by going back to the UK, although some summers there hasn't been a lot of difference

Although winter is better here I still don't like it and need a beach pad in QLD as well!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Maybe ABCDiamond could come up with the lowest summer temps or something for each major city.
These are the record lowest maximums for January:

Melbourne: 14.6C
Sydney: 17.2C
Brisbane: 21.1C
Perth: 19.7C
Adelaide: 17.6C
Canberra: 12.2C
Hobart: 11.1C
Darwin: 25.7C

...and record minimums for July:

Melbourne: -2.8C
Sydney: 2.2C
Brisbane: -2.5C
Perth: 0.0C
Adelaide: 0.4C
Canberra: -10.0C
Hobart: -2.8C
Darwin: 10.4C

...mostly figures for the CBD...you could get quite big variations just a few km's out.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie30
Yes it does get cold but where I am from in Adelaide it doesn't get anywhere near the freezing temperatures I experienced whilst in the UK last year. Another difference is the Sun! We might get a few grey days but a lot of the time even when it is cool the sun is still out. I couldn't believe how dark and gloomy the UK was in Winter, it was so depressing!

Sheeeeeesh. The darkness is most depressing! Sunset at 4 pm in winter.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:36 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sheeeeeesh. The darkness is most depressing! Sunset at 4 pm in winter.
Sunset is at 5pm in Brisbane and Melbourne in winter...not a great deal of difference. Sunset is also at 7pm in Brisbane in the height of summer....no long nights to look forward to....southern capitals much better in that respect.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends where you mean really. Parts of Australia get snow and ice, parts just get frost. I've been in Hobart in April when its snowed, I've also been in Brisbane when temps have got down to 2 degrees.
Plus you do aclimatise, so what seems warm in the UK can seem a lot colder once you are used to the "normal" temp being higher.
This is true when its 15C here its chilly, 15C in UK is shorts weather!!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
These are the record lowest maximums for January:

Melbourne: 14.6C
Sydney: 17.2C
Brisbane: 21.1C
Perth: 19.7C
Adelaide: 17.6C
Canberra: 12.2C
Hobart: 11.1C
Darwin: 25.7C

...and record minimums for July:

Melbourne: -2.8C
Sydney: 2.2C
Brisbane: -2.5C
Perth: 0.0C
Adelaide: 0.4C
Canberra: -10.0C
Hobart: -2.8C
Darwin: 10.4C

...mostly figures for the CBD...you could get quite big variations just a few km's out.
Excellent! Thank you.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sunset is at 5pm in Brisbane and Melbourne in winter...not a great deal of difference. Sunset is also at 7pm in Brisbane in the height of summer....no long nights to look forward to....southern capitals much better in that respect.
There is a HUGE difference when you include the fact that in the UK you might not have even seen the sun for the entire day and then it goes down at 4pm! It is sooooo depressing!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aussie30
There is a HUGE difference when you include the fact that in the UK you might not have even seen the sun for the entire day and then it goes down at 4pm! It is sooooo depressing!
I wouldn't let the sunset bother you too much. There is more to life than that.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:53 pm
ABCDiamond

With everyone 'discussing' the current insufferable heat in Oz, I would like to know if it ever gets too cold where you are in Oz - even now, in summer?

I know it is summer now, but please put things into perspective.

Maybe ABCDiamond could come up with the lowest summer temps or something for each major city.

Thanks.
I'll check to see what I have.....

The weather in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Winter
In mid winter, July 2008, the temperature in Brisbane, QLD, Australia varied between 6.2°C and 25.8°C.

There were 4 days in July 2008 that the temperature went below 8°C, mainly overnight.

Comparing the temperatures at 9am, they ranged between 12.4°C and 19.8°C, with 3 days being below 13°C.

At 3pm, the range was between 15.9°C and 25.2°C, with 14 days being below 20°C at 3pm, but only 1 day below 16°C.
Note that the extreme temperatures in a day may only last for 10, 20 or 30 minutes. What is important is the longer lasting periods of a certain temperature range.

What does COLD mean ?

20.0°C in Australia, is that Warm or Cold ?

27th March 2009
I used to think that 20.0°C was warm, but sitting here now at 20.0°C, it feels much cooler than I remember it being in the UK. I must have acclimatised to the Australian Temperatures.
When I think about it, a drop of 10°C, from 20°C to 10°C in the UK would feel cold, I wonder if it feels just as cold when it goes down from 30°C to 20°C here in QLD ?

Our local weather Station gives Indoor temps aswell as Outdoor temps.
Today it shows:
25.3°C outside and 30.7°C inside.
But in winter, it is sometimes like:
23°C outside and 18°C inside.

I often sit outside during winter, to stay warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.