British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Does it ever get cold in Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/does-ever-get-cold-oz-648955/)

Alfresco Jan 13th 2010 9:48 am

Does it ever get cold in Oz?

With everyone 'discussing' the current insufferable heat in Oz, I would like to know if it ever gets too cold where you are in Oz - even now, in summer?

I know it is summer now, but please put things into perspective.

Maybe ABCDiamond could come up with the lowest summer temps or something for each major city.

Thanks. :thumbup:

DeadVim Jan 13th 2010 9:52 am

Re: Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8244128)
With everyone 'discussing' the current insufferable heat in Oz, I would like to know if it ever gets too cold where you are in Oz - even now, in summer?

Maybe ABCDiamond could come up with the lowest summer temps or something for each major city.

-6 a couple of years back ... scraped ice off the car daily and lagged the outdoor pipes (or the shower doesn't work).

Regularly below freezing in the winter here ... this is out in the sticks a bit but still less than an hour's drive from Brisbane.

And with the houses built for the summer then, yes, you do feel it.

Nice once it warms up though, doesn't take long ... bloody sublime winter days here.

Hence the reason we have a huge pile of logs ready to go for this year.

I do like owning and using a chainsaw.

:thumbup:

Vash the Stampede Jan 13th 2010 9:55 am

Temperature dropped to -5°C at one stage when I lived in Tassie. Admittedly, that was in winter... :zzz:

I have never known it to be too cold in summer! :blink:

ianbrown Jan 13th 2010 10:10 am

Jeez yes, were into our 2nd summer, winter was f&cking freezing through the night!!!.......and that is in Brisbane!, god help those further South than we are in May-August!!.......central heating and double glazing is as rare as tits on a bull here!

earlybird Jan 13th 2010 10:13 am

Coldest it has been here (Armidale NSW) in summer is around 12c in the day. In winter it regularly gets down to minus 5 and colder overnight. Has been down to minus 11. I have heard it did snow here one Christmas in the 50s.

Kingseat Jan 13th 2010 10:16 am

It can get pretty cold in Perth too. Usually can be quite nice during the day but it drops like a stone around 4pm in winter.

Nu-Shooz Jan 13th 2010 10:20 am

You'll be fine in summer, but beware the winter. You'll be freezing your nuts off:lol: Don't forget to pack your willy warmer.

DeadVim Jan 13th 2010 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8244233)
You'll be fine in summer, but beware the winter. You'll be freezing your nuts off:lol: Don't forget to pack your willy warmer.

I married her.

Nu-Shooz Jan 13th 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8244237)
I married her.

You married who?

DeadVim Jan 13th 2010 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 8244245)
You married who?

My willy warmer.

Dorothy Jan 13th 2010 10:27 am

Over 40 years in Canada and I've never been so cold as I am during a Perth winter.

Vash the Stampede Jan 13th 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8244255)
Over 40 years in Canada and I've never been so cold as I am during a Perth winter.

That's not an issue of temperature though, is it? I mean, Perth doesn't exactly hit -30°C every year.

That's just a case of you being cold in a house that's not designed for the cold.

;)

Alfresco Jan 13th 2010 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 8244299)
That's not an issue of temperature though, is it? I mean, Perth doesn't exactly hit -30°C every year.

That's just a case of you being cold in a house that's not designed for the cold.

;)

Yeah we used to freeze in Africa too as the houses are only designed for summer.

Had thick duvets and heaters in winter.

Pollyana Jan 13th 2010 10:53 am

Depends where you mean really. Parts of Australia get snow and ice, parts just get frost. I've been in Hobart in April when its snowed, I've also been in Brisbane when temps have got down to 2 degrees.
Plus you do aclimatise, so what seems warm in the UK can seem a lot colder once you are used to the "normal" temp being higher.

DeadVim Jan 13th 2010 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8244334)
Depends where you mean really. Parts of Australia get snow and ice, parts just get frost. I've been in Hobart in April when its snowed, I've also been in Brisbane when temps have got down to 2 degrees.

Used to make me laugh to see the 'skiing shop' down by the Gabba ... older and wiser now though.

Older, anyway. ;)