Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does it ever get cold in Oz?

With everyone 'discussing' the current insufferable heat in Oz, I would like to know if it ever gets too cold where you are in Oz - even now, in summer?

I know it is summer now, but please put things into perspective.

Maybe ABCDiamond could come up with the lowest summer temps or something for each major city.

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
With everyone 'discussing' the current insufferable heat in Oz, I would like to know if it ever gets too cold where you are in Oz - even now, in summer?

Maybe ABCDiamond could come up with the lowest summer temps or something for each major city.

Thanks.
-6 a couple of years back ... scraped ice off the car daily and lagged the outdoor pipes (or the shower doesn't work).

Regularly below freezing in the winter here ... this is out in the sticks a bit but still less than an hour's drive from Brisbane.

And with the houses built for the summer then, yes, you do feel it.

Nice once it warms up though, doesn't take long ... bloody sublime winter days here.

Hence the reason we have a huge pile of logs ready to go for this year.

I do like owning and using a chainsaw.

Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Temperature dropped to -5°C at one stage when I lived in Tassie. Admittedly, that was in winter...

I have never known it to be too cold in summer!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeez yes, were into our 2nd summer, winter was f&cking freezing through the night!!!.......and that is in Brisbane!, god help those further South than we are in May-August!!.......central heating and double glazing is as rare as tits on a bull here!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:13 am
Living in the mountains

earlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to allearlybird is a name known to all

Coldest it has been here (Armidale NSW) in summer is around 12c in the day. In winter it regularly gets down to minus 5 and colder overnight. Has been down to minus 11. I have heard it did snow here one Christmas in the 50s.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

It can get pretty cold in Perth too. Usually can be quite nice during the day but it drops like a stone around 4pm in winter.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks.
You'll be fine in summer, but beware the winter. You'll be freezing your nuts off Don't forget to pack your willy warmer.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:21 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You'll be fine in summer, but beware the winter. You'll be freezing your nuts off Don't forget to pack your willy warmer.
I married her.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I married her.
You married who?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:26 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You married who?
My willy warmer.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Over 40 years in Canada and I've never been so cold as I am during a Perth winter.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:45 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Does it ever get cold in Oz?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Over 40 years in Canada and I've never been so cold as I am during a Perth winter.
That's not an issue of temperature though, is it? I mean, Perth doesn't exactly hit -30°C every year.

That's just a case of you being cold in a house that's not designed for the cold.

Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's not an issue of temperature though, is it? I mean, Perth doesn't exactly hit -30°C every year.

That's just a case of you being cold in a house that's not designed for the cold.

Yeah we used to freeze in Africa too as the houses are only designed for summer.

Had thick duvets and heaters in winter.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you mean really. Parts of Australia get snow and ice, parts just get frost. I've been in Hobart in April when its snowed, I've also been in Brisbane when temps have got down to 2 degrees.
Plus you do aclimatise, so what seems warm in the UK can seem a lot colder once you are used to the "normal" temp being higher.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:55 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends where you mean really. Parts of Australia get snow and ice, parts just get frost. I've been in Hobart in April when its snowed, I've also been in Brisbane when temps have got down to 2 degrees.
Used to make me laugh to see the 'skiing shop' down by the Gabba ... older and wiser now though.

Older, anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.