Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Wikiposts

Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Actually, I feel that this is part of an Australian superiority complex.

I feel that a lot of Australians know that they are largely a popular country to visit and like to revel in it a bit.
Surely you jest.

I think it is more of a case of Australians wanting to believe that they are largely a popular country and need external validation. Like a lot of expats really.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

lol
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Controversial as always, I know:

Actually, I feel that this is part of an Australian superiority complex.

I feel that a lot of Australians know that they are largely a popular country to visit and like to revel in it a bit. It's a bit of a joke. Remember - they are the ones who have to listen to the likes of British expats gushing about how 'lovely' it all is. They are the ones who have to constantly listen to people tell them how laid-back it all seems.

When I get visitors I ask the same question - this is because I know that there is every chance they will LOVE the same old things that I loved in turn when I first got off the boat....

...the pace of life...weather...etc the effing penguins down on Philip Island..(strike that one out...)

In my experience, people tend to conveniently not say anything when they know they have underachieved. I mean, if I lived in a shite-hole, do you think I would draw attention to the fact? Just my 2c.
LOL
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, people tend to conveniently not say anything when they know they have underachieved. I mean, if I lived in a shite-hole, do you think I would draw attention to the fact? Just my 2c.
However Australians are oblivious to this.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:35 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>In my experience, people tend to conveniently not say anything when they know they have underachieved. I mean, if I lived in a shite-hole, do you think I would draw attention to the fact? Just my 2c.<<

Very true - it's the lemon effect. (Those who have bought a dog of a car tend to be reluctant to criticise it because they feel it might reflect on their judgement.)
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Surely you jest.

I think it is more of a case of Australians wanting to believe that they are largely a popular country and need external validation. Like a lot of expats really.
No - I don't jest. Why do Australians need to feel they are popular? They have a standard of living that many people in the West have always sought. It would be churlish to suggest otherwise.

What I see as important is that Australia is different to many other places people visit. Most Australians realise this. It's not the US, it's not Paris. It's not Slovenia. It's not Austria.

It's on the other side of the world. That is all, really.

If Australia was populated by 100m Indonesians, or 100m Asians, there would be no comparison. The fact is that Australia is a Western country out in the corner and it holds a fascination with people all over the world.

The only expats that need validation are the ignorant ones who are too stupid to realise that you can't transport Little England out to Little Australia and expect it to work.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>In my experience, people tend to conveniently not say anything when they know they have underachieved. I mean, if I lived in a shite-hole, do you think I would draw attention to the fact? Just my 2c.<<

Very true - it's the lemon effect. (Those who have bought a dog of a car tend to be reluctant to criticise it because they feel it might reflect on their judgement.)
There you go. If people had more confidence in their judgement they wouldn't care what might effect this. The car you buy is just ancilliary.

It's a means of transport.

EDIT - Wol. On Dean's subject of expat validation - it's occured to why so many expats with poor judgement love giving this very fact away? I sometimes wonder if they wish they had heard of the 'Lemon' effect...

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 13th 2011 at 4:56 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

No - I don't jest. Why do Australians need to feel they are popular?
Because from a global perspective they are insignificant, irrespective of the standard of living (which is going downhill everyday mind you and will be obliterated if this carbon price comes into being).

They have a standard of living that many people in the West have always sought. It would be churlish to suggest otherwise.
Compared to America? UK? France? There are people that have a very high standard of living in all western countries and there are people that are living on the streets in all western countries.

What I see as important is that Australia is different to many other places people visit. Most Australians realise this. It's not the US, it's not Paris. It's not Slovenia. It's not Austria.

It's on the other side of the world. That is all, really.
So Australians should be proud of the fact that Australia's main differentiator is that it is on the other side of the world?

If Australia was populated by 100m Indonesians, or 100m Asians, there would be no comparison.
No doubt. It would probably be a far more interesting place.

The fact is that Australia is a Western country out in the corner and it holds a fascination with people all over the world.
Many American school children (and adults for that matter) can't even point to Australia on an atlas.

The only expats that need validation are the ignorant ones who are too stupid to realise that you can't transport Little England out to Little Australia and expect it to work.
No the expats that need validation are the ones that are convincing themselves that they made the right decision to make the move to Australia. Godzoners come to mind.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Mar 13th 2011 at 5:00 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Because from a global perspective they are insignificant, irrespective of the standard of living (which is going downhill everyday mind you and will be obliterated if this carbon price comes into being).
Which is why I suspect they are happy they have allies in the UK and US...and actually do OK for such a insignificant place.

So Australians should be proud of the fact that Australia's main differentiator is that it is on the other side of the world?
Sort of - yes - because, if you think about it, it's part of their makeup. If Australia was in the middle of the North Atlantic it would not have half of those differences. Ask every American who thinks that all Australia is Crocodile Dundee - some do cliche-alert - and every Brit who thinks it's all about snakes and spiders and BBQs - and big houses and one big Home and Away existence.

No the expats that need validation are the ones that are convincing themselves that they made the right decision to make the move to Australia. Godzoners come to mind.
What sort of Godzoners are we talking about? The Little Englanders who have to validate that the colorbond roof and legoland house was such a winning idea after all? Give them a break I say.

I don't see what the rest of the people happy with the move need to worry about.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:50 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

This also drives the some of the myths on here. If someone has bought a piece of crap they are not going to tell people it was a bad decision they are going to say it's the fault of the country.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rambi
This also drives the some of the myths on here. If someone has bought a piece of crap they are not going to tell people it was a bad decision they are going to say it's the fault of the country.
Yes - that was my point - it works both ways.

Ultimately the validation works when someone is happy with their lot.

It's around this time I start offering advice to migrants.

Look at the people who have done very well in Australia. Look at the people who have not done so well in Australia. There are established patterns. If you can reproduce it, then come. If you can't, and I'm not so sure it's getting any easy to reproduce - then don't. The success comes to those who don't follow the common denominator, and even then there is no guarantee.

I know for a fact that a few simple, duff decisions could have spelled out unhappiness. I said to Dean a few weeks ago that the 80/20 rule applies.

My general advice is 'don't come'. My specific advice is available by PM...
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ultimately the validation works when someone is happy with their lot.
When people are happy with their lot they don't need validation. People only need validation when:

a) they are unsure and the validation helps to put their mind at ease

b) They are trying to convince themselves.

I said to Dean a few weeks ago that the 80/20 rule applies.
Yes, saw that. Very true.

My general advice is 'don't come'. My specific advice is available by PM...
My advice in the current climate would be to investigate what other countries have to offer in the medium to long term before deciding on Australia.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should look at superiority complexes as they seem more relevant to this forum.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think we should look at superiority complexes as they seem more relevant to this forum.
Is that an upmarket cinema?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
Now you are talking.

I don't have a superiority complex, I have a God complex and so does my wife.

Stick that one in ya pipe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.