Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Wikiposts

Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:29 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
To predict the future of the muslim community in Australia maybe we should look to countries such as Spain and France that have had a large muslim population for centuries.
Not sure that's useful for comparison as they had Muslim colonies.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:32 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

To predict the future of the muslim community in Australia maybe we should look to countries such as Spain and France that have had a large muslim population for centuries.
I think we can only make predictions about Aus demographics over the next 10, 20 or 30yrs.....and not centuries.

So looking at the USA and the UK, not Spain and France, would be more appropriate in my opinion.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:55 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
It's still a long way from Jakarta to Sydney.

Jakarta -> Sydney 5507km

But....

Jakarta -> Darwin 2736km
Sydney -> Darwin 3148km, so Darwin is nearer to Jakarta than it is to Sydney

Jakarta -> Perth 3011km
Sydney -> Perth 3288km, so Perth is also nearer to Jakarta than it is to Sydney

Sydney is not Australia.

Australia is very near to Indonesia, regardless of how far away you think Sydney is from Jakarta
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:07 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that's useful for comparison as they had Muslim colonies.
Spain didn't have Muslim colonies AFAIK. However, most of Spain was a predominantly Muslim country for about 100 years (929 to 1031)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate_of_C%C3%B3rdoba
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

By anglo I meant WASP or White Anglo Saxon Protestant. That said a lot of anglo saxons are now atheist and given up on religion.

I think with muslims though, it is the religion that defines them and not their race and Arabs are not the only muslims. There are many asians and other races that are also muslims.

That depends on if they are practicing or not

All good points - not meaning to single out Arabs btw, just an example.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:07 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Jakarta -> Sydney 5507km

But....

Jakarta -> Darwin 2736km
Sydney -> Darwin 3148km, so Darwin is nearer to Jakarta than it is to Sydney

Jakarta -> Perth 3011km
Sydney -> Perth 3288km, so Perth is also nearer to Jakarta than it is to Sydney

Sydney is not Australia.

Australia is very near to Indonesia, regardless of how far away you think Sydney is from Jakarta
I know Sydney's not Australia and neither is Darwin nor Perth. Where do most of the migrants go? Darwin? Perth? I don't think so.

I live near Melbourne which is even further away from Jakarta and probably gets more migrants than Darwin and Perth combined.

The point I was making is that no matter that Australia is next door to Indonesia it's not like UK and France (say) or most neighbouring countries around the world. Most of the population of Indonesia and particularly the Muslim ones live on the bit that is a long way from Australia. Most Australians live in the bit of Australia that is a long way from Indonesia. Comparatively speaking in comparison to other neighbouring countries of the world, Australia is a long way from Indonesia.

It's a long way to travel and therefore it's no easier for Muslim Indonesians to get here than other Asians.

to you too.

PS: Dover is closer to Calais than to London. But I bet there are more French people working in London than in Dover.

Last edited by Rambi; Mar 9th 2011 at 3:20 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:22 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by renth
Spain didn't have Muslim colonies AFAIK. However, most of Spain was a predominantly Muslim country for about 100 years (929 to 1031)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliphate_of_C%C3%B3rdoba
I'll just go and check. I thought Spain had some hegemony over Morocco at one point.

Apparently "Before 1985, Moroccans did not require visas to enter Spain".

Last edited by Rambi; Mar 9th 2011 at 3:28 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just go and check. I thought Spain had some hegemony over Morocco at one point.
They do have colonies in Morocco - Ceuta and Melilla and they still think it's OK to give the British shit over Gibraltar.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I know Sydney's not Australia and neither is Darwin nor Perth. Where do most of the migrants go? Darwin? Perth? I don't think so.

I live near Melbourne which is even further away from Jakarta and probably gets more migrants than Darwin and Perth combined.

The point I was making is that no matter that Australia is next door to Indonesia it's not like UK and France (say) or most neighbouring countries around the world. Most of the population of Indonesia and particularly the Muslim ones live on the bit that is a long way from Australia. Most Australians live in the bit of Australia that is a long way from Indonesia. Comparatively speaking in comparison to other neighbouring countries of the world, Australia is a long way from Indonesia.

It's a long way to travel and therefore it's no easier for Muslim Indonesians to get here than other Asians.

to you too.

PS: Dover is closer to Calais than to London. But I bet there are more French people working in London than in Dover.
Only have to hop over to Papua New Guinea and do a bit of island hopping to Indonesia. Not that difficult really and PNG is relatively close.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:10 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Only have to hop over to Papua New Guinea and do a bit of island hopping to Indonesia. Not that difficult really and PNG is relatively close.
But where are the Muslims? Not in PNG

And where do most Indonesians live? Not in West Papua.

Come on folks. I can't believe you can't see the point. Aus is a very large country. It's the size of a continent. Indonesia is a very large country. The heavily populated bits are a long way from each other. It's not a convenient hop across the channel. Is someone giving out free stoopid juice today? And Dean. Check out Charlie Boorman's trip from Sydney to Tokyo and you will see that your suggestion is much easier said than done.

Last edited by Rambi; Mar 9th 2011 at 6:31 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

But where are the Muslims? Not in PNG

And where do most Indonesians live? Not in West Papua.
I did say you would need to do a bit of island hopping...
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:03 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

I did say you would need to do a bit of island hopping...
When Charlie Boorman tried it, to get from PNG to West Papua he had to go via Singapore and Jakarta. That's serious island hopping.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
My misunderstanding. I thought we were talking about immigrants in general. Btw, strange that not more muslims than 2% or less live in Australia. After all the most populous muslim country in the world is just your northern neighbour.
Indonesians do not feature largely in Australia's immigration figures strangely.

Only 50,900 were registered in the last 06 census. Most of those living in NSW.

Of that number Muslims mafde up far less than half. Most were ethnic Chinese. Percentage had increased by 18 % on five years earlier though.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Well actually a lot of the Australians have money so they don't live in these outer areas because they know that society will look down on them and it will affect their social standing within the community. Many of the people on this forum dispute but hardly have any Australian friends go figure.

In cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Perth your location is very important and thus you won't find Australians living in nice new houses in the outer rings the Aussies will be downgrading buying dumps in nicer areas because they are aware of how important location is.
I can see where Weebie is coming from even if he caches it in terms that annoy. Location is as important here as the TV programming in the UK has us believe.

To be fair, to be exact, I would say that Australians don't so much as look down on the outer suburbs but there is a implicit understanding that the closer to the city you are the more opportunities there are. Anyone who has any experience of a range of demographics will see this reflected in many aspects of life in industry and outside work. To be fair though, it probably matters to the people who do live 'in'! There are huge exceptions - people who choose to live out - for example to be on acreage - and naturally the people who are country - tied to the country - and would have it no other way.

The real stigma if at all is in the cheap outer areas - SW Sydney? not all outer areas are 'cheap'.

Of course most Australian relish their suburban dream upbringing...it's all very well - suburban upbringing might have been 20k out in the 60s...

As for government workers - there are plenty of hard-working govt workers but I would say that some people might stay there when they would be found out elsewhere....and of course, they might have the last laugh...
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

To be fair, to be exact, I would say that Australians don't so much as look down on the outer suburbs but there is a implicit understanding that the closer to the city you are the more opportunities there are.
I think this only apples to Aussies in the bigger cities. This simply doesn't apply to somewhere like Cairns where the outer suburbs are no more than 15 minutes from the centre (going west; much longer going north or south).

The most expensive suburbs here are a curious mix of the older established burbs with lots of Queenslanders (Edgehill (where I live), Stratford); nicer beach suburbs (Palm Cove, Kewarra Beach); and shiteholes on the edge of the CBD (Parramatta Park).

No real 'inner v outer' thing happening, but then southerners do tend to suffer culture shock when they move here and realise that the 'city sophisticate' snobbery simply doesn't exist up here and is not welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.