Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:30 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

I can't help coming to the conclusion of the title of my thread given the rapid growth of the population of Australia.

Namely: 2006 census 19,855,288[4], 2011 estimate 22,578,000

Growth rate like that suggests that a country wants to attract immigrants at whatever cost just to increase its population.

This is what I'm getting at. Does Australia have too big thoughts of its own importance on the world-stage and therefore wants to increase its population for that to be "credible" among "the world players?"

On the whole, do you think Australia something of a middle-country? A country like NZ has no doubts about its size and they flaunt about being small and yet successful but Australia is not exactly a small country populationwise and it is a huge country geographywise.

Do you think the political leaders of Australia want to enhance some silly "we are a big and important nation"-message?

Last edited by THR; Mar 4th 2011 at 8:35 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:23 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Australia suffer from inferiority-complex?

Originally Posted by THR
I can't help coming to the conclusion of the title of my thread given the rapid growth of the population of Australia.

Growth rate like that suggests that a country wants to attract immigrants at whatever cost just to increase its population.

This is what I'm getting at. Does Australia have too big thoughts of its own importance on the world-stage and therefore wants to increase its population for that to be "credible" among "the world players?"

On the whole, do you think Australia something of a middle-country? A country like NZ has no doubts about its size and they flaunt about being small and yet successful but Australia is not exactly a small country populationwise and it is a huge country geographywise.

Do you think the political leaders of Australia want to enhance some silly "we are a big and important nation"-message?
Large migration was originally encouraged for security reasons. Now it's for economics. I wouldn't suggest that it is at whatever cost because if it was you'd remove the migrant caps (especially if they are cricket caps).

It does want to be a world player but I wouldn't call that an inferiority complex (I think you have to look at why you think this?).

Aus has been a world player for a long time in war and economics (through luck) but has failed to achieve much in business. Its involvement in war has always been security. You help out powerful friends in the hope they will help you out in times of need. Economics, it has been the lucky which is why the 'lucky country' expression has turned from a sneering criticism to badge of honour. Business has never been good and Aus has always had to import its business leaders.

In recent times. Aus is well placed to take advantage of the world economy's move from the North Atlantic to the Pacific. People will be required to take best advantage of this change in the global environment.

As for pollies, there was some debate in recent years about whether the big Australia (pop 36m by 2050) was still the right thing to do. Not all pollies are in favour of this rate of expansion.

Last edited by Rambi; Mar 4th 2011 at 9:28 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR

I think it is a subject that has been done to death on this forum. Of course Australia is a mid-sized country. And it does need people, by all accounts.

People like to pick on Australia. I think it is misguided.

I also think Australians are misguided when they undersell themselves by creating the impression they want more attention or that they want to be 'bigger'. They don't need to.

My personal opinion:
The fact of the matter is that some Australians punch massively above their weight on the world stage. They are everywhere. They are amused by the way they are perceived overseas, but also get tired of it (the result is lots of cringeworthy advertising).

I also think a lot of Australians realise they have done very well in comparison to other countries and this amuses them. They also, I think like to make fun of other countries punching at their weight but this generally misfires. (I sometimes feel Tall poppy syndrome is universal.)

Even when criticism is levelled, there are plenty of Australians who accept it. They do look to guidance from overseas but this is more of the Anglo-European connection in a world of Asian influence.

The secret generally is to avoid the tabloid media and tabloid people. They won't help you.

Noone else matters.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 10:57 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

no
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

What with Dame Edna, skippy, and Veggiemite has the main reasons most people now of Australia, is it any wonder
Old Mar 4th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Without a shadow of a doubt.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Does Australia have too big thoughts of its own importance on the world-stage and therefore wants to increase its population for that to be "credible" among "the world players?"
It wants to increase it's population so it can gat more taxpayers on it's books and thus increase tax revenue.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR

populate or perish
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:38 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
populate or perish
exactly. nothing new....
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Canada-

Population 2006- 32,723,000
Population 2011 (Estimated)- 34,330,000

Not all that different, does Canada have an inferiority complex as well?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Canada-

Population 2006- 32,723,000
Population 2011 (Estimated)- 34,330,000

Not all that different, does Canada have an inferiority complex as well?
It most certainly does, it is forever in the USA's shadow.

I think Australia used to have a healthy modesty which may have been construed as an inferiority complex. I much preferred that to the flag waving bravado that seems to have taken hold during little johnny's rein.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

3/4 of the land is unhabitable anyway, and most of the population are around the edge. There are only cities here. and in those cities are lotsd of suburbs, not like in england where in 10 miles you have 5 proper towns with town centres and malls etc/ Here is just suburbs and shopping strips.

I dont think your average joe here has any complex apart from being proud its the best country in the world.

Whether it is is debateable on many levels but most people in this countrty believe it, and that makes it a good place rtto live. Most uk people say nothing but bad things about the uk and i was one of em.

Australia has taught me that shop assistants can be nice, people on trains can chat, and kids here are far more polite and willing to share a story rather than want to smoke on the bus and put on shit swing music on theor phone. People just have a better outlook and help their fellow man attitude in general

I was areal cynic when i came here and lived under the shadow of the uk of dog eat dog and thought everyone who offered a hand wanted something.

Generally this is not the case. I do like Australia alot for these reasons, moreso than the whingeing poms. And we whinge because the media have taught us to believe there is a pedo and a rapist and a mugger on every street and its rip off britain blah dee blah

Here the media is more lighthearted or it just doesnt happen as much........ which leads to a better culture. Plus, the sun does hel;p people smile

On balance there are dickheqwads here too and people drive up your arse and dont indicate, but it all seems to work well if you fit in
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:54 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
3/4 of the land is unhabitable anyway, and most of the population are around the edge. There are only cities here. and in those cities are lotsd of suburbs, not like in england where in 10 miles you have 5 proper towns with town centres and malls etc/ Here is just suburbs and shopping strips.

I dont think your average joe here has any complex apart from being proud its the best country in the world.

Whether it is is debateable on many levels but most people in this countrty believe it, and that makes it a good place rtto live. Most uk people say nothing but bad things about the uk and i was one of em.

Australia has taught me that shop assistants can be nice, people on trains can chat, and kids here are far more polite and willing to share a story rather than want to smoke on the bus and put on shit swing music on theor phone. People just have a better outlook and help their fellow man attitude in general

I was areal cynic when i came here and lived under the shadow of the uk of dog eat dog and thought everyone who offered a hand wanted something.

Generally this is not the case. I do like Australia alot for these reasons, moreso than the whingeing poms. And we whinge because the media have taught us to believe there is a pedo and a rapist and a mugger on every street and its rip off britain blah dee blah

Here the media is more lighthearted or it just doesnt happen as much........ which leads to a better culture. Plus, the sun does hel;p people smile

On balance there are dickheqwads here too and people drive up your arse and dont indicate, but it all seems to work well if you fit in
I'm very glad to hear that someone who thought that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence actually found out that it really is.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:23 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no doubt that Australia sees itself as more important than it actually is. When overseas it is often hard to even see a reference to the country.
As to the original question, having lived here most of my life the answer is undoubtedly yes.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
There is no doubt that Australia sees itself as more important than it actually is. When overseas it is often hard to even see a reference to the country.
As to the original question, having lived here most of my life the answer is undoubtedly yes.
ha ha ha, isn't this the truth. I'm Aussie born and bred and when I lived in Canada and US this was very much the case... never heard anything about Australia in the papers, television or radio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.