Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you dread that day

Wikiposts

Do you dread that day

Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

i have discovered carrier bags full of the contents of handbags, you know your handbag gets full up of crap so you take out your purse and your keys and toss the rest into a carrier bag, they are all full of receipts and odds and ends of make up, the odd hair brush and bottles of perfume i didnt know i'd ever had:scared:

Is this normal or not

Lynn
Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, quite normal! The contents of 5 old handbags is currently in the middle of the sitting room floor - and I have found receipts and boarding passes from my first trip to Oz in 1999!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 2:05 am
Badge

Default behind my wardrobe

...a pair of crutches I had kept back from hospital when I broke my foot 12 years ago - which I kept behind my wardrobe in the event I injured myself in a minor way playing sport and didn't want to have to limp around in the meantime...

(broke my foot on an Army assault course, ran 5 miles walked home, then the next day it hurt like buggery so got an ambo to hospital!!!)

a plastic, BB firing replica of a well known assault rifle (!!!)
Map of Salisbury Town Centre

a drawing of a Ferrari, (artist - myself c1987)

Playboy from 1992 - just kidding. Got rid of all this years ago. (Honest!)

badge

Old Sep 30th 2003, 3:59 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

What a hilarious post! It's so reassuring to know we are all the same really!

I have been ruthlessly binning things for months as husband is ridiculous horder and cannot throw ANYTHING away

It's been annoying the crap out of me so I've just been bining things without his knowledge. Well he's not asked me for anything that I've dumped yet so it can't be that important can it?

Anyway, I'm prepared with my speech "Don't worry darling, we'll get lots of those useless little plastic things, 12 adapters and 7 (yes really) scart leads the minute we get off the plane ok?"

I must confess to the handbag thing tho I just transfer junk from one bag to another depending on which I want to use! I am getting better tho and work on the principal that if I haven't used it for 6months it's for the bin - tough love but effective!

We have also been using a "buy one get rid of two" rule if we really want to buy something. It's fantastic as you have to really weigh things up and end up with a paired down but much more useable wardrobe.

I also found giving things away was less soul destroying than binning. I too have a huge box of toiletries that are barely started or brand new but I am giving it all to a student friend of mine where I know it will be gratefully recieved and appreciated!:
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

My kids will be getting lots of contributions to their Xmas fayres this term. They want toiletries I can give them toiletries!!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:14 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Today's junk update - a packet of parsley sauce under the fridge. 23 fridge magnets, a broken security chain off the front door...and .... a stainless steel napkin dispenser from a nameless Brighton restaurant (oops!)!
Is there an end to this junk?!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

we are coping without the junk whilst travelling but looking forward to the arrival of the container! you know those unstained little tabletop boxes of drawers with lots of tiny compartments which we had in our office, well, i think there at least six of those which are stuffed full of little sewing bits and bobs, stationary, magnets, glue, shoelaces (well, who knows?) etc etc... can't wait to get it all back with me where it belongs!
have put a sperate post up about the car fiasco.
karen xx
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, 2 days until the shippers arrive and I am still sorting out the endless junk boxes - and the kitchen drawer! Luckily we're selling to someone who's letting the flat furnished, so anything I can't bring myself to throw out is staying - I'm SURE they will find all those paperclips, elastic bands, plugs, matches, ties, half a roll of clingfilm and the same of foil, empty margarine tubs immensely useful - they will be eternally grateful to me for leaving my junk! of course they will!! I've even left them a couple of pairs of skis in the loft, and a bike which we can't sell!!

And yet despite all this, I know that I am still taking a load of junk really - all those bits of paper, tickets, postcards from trips abroad, favourite birthday cards - but I blame my parents - you should see their place - if ever they moved....!!

Never again do I intend to collect so much crap!....
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:27 am
Home and Happy

...famous last words which will no doubt come back to haunt you Donna!

Pollyana

Brighton to Brisbane with lots of junk