Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Digital TV - Getting there sloooowly

NZ Digital TV - Getting there sloooowly

Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:13 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default NZ Digital TV - Getting there sloooowly

STOP PRESS!!!!!!

NZ sky digital is getting 3 new channels!

(ooooooooh I hear you all say!)

Uk TV, History channel and Disney channel as part of the basic package.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ Digital TV - Getting there sloooowly

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
STOP PRESS!!!!!!

NZ sky digital is getting 3 new channels!

(ooooooooh I hear you all say!)

Uk TV, History channel and Disney channel as part of the basic package.
About time too. Mind you there isnt much to choose between uk and nz tv at the mo from what I've seen. Must be getting old.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:43 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

have they got MTV yet?

I don't mean local music channels, but the real UK, US, or Aus MTV channels?
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:14 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jandjuk
have they got MTV yet?

I don't mean local music channels, but the real UK, US, or Aus MTV channels?

No no MTV. I was really suprised I thought MTV was everywhere. We just have 2 NZ music channels Juice and J2.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 12:32 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

mmm well TVNZ used to broadcast MTV UK free to air then pulled the plug on that.

I wouldn't be suprised if they still have the MTV rights tied up as part of the digital package they were going to launch some years back (the govt wouldn't let them).

Either that or Sky is just stingy and won't shell out for them

at the very least they could offer it as an 'extra' channel they charge for
Old Sep 30th 2003, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

TreborS is an unknown quantity at this point

As JandJ said TVNZ used to broadcast UK MTV free to air in NZ. The UK channel even recruited a NZ presenter (Zane someone or other) for their London studio and started taking calls from NZ on their UK broadcast. They had a map of NZ on the wall alongside their UK map and used to put pins in every town from where they got a call - quite funny watching everyone (Zane included) scrambling around trying to find Te Kuiti or Morrinsville or whereever.

Problem with MTV was it was complete crap (not so much in terms of the music, more in terms of its witless presenters and skits etc) and got completely done in the ratings by an independent, low budget but very clever and innovative local channel called Max (where Havoc and Newsboy started out in TV I think).

So what did TVNZ do? They brought Max out, and then promptly closed it down to give MTV less competition. Even then it still failed miserably in the ratings and was soon canned completely.

At one stage I think juice was free to air as well so we had 3 free to air music channels...but soon went down to zero as sky made Juice user pays and the others met their demise.