Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do you dread that day

Wikiposts

Do you dread that day

Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:03 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you dread that day

Its amazing as the time of our departure gets nearer and nearer how much we can't actually do yet due to

1) House hasn't completed
2) Can't book packers until that date etc.

But through all of this we are starting to close our lives down here, cancel credit cards, sort bank accounts, stop gym memberships etc etc etc.

But there is one job that we could have done at any time in our lives and still havn't. We will have to do it I know. Do you know what it is

SORT OUT ALL THOSE DRAWS AND SPURIOUS BLOODY JUGS\JARS WITH NOTHING BUT CRAP IN THEM

you know the ones. They have bits of string, old keys, batteries (Has it got any power in it), curtain hooks (generally that dont fit any type of curtain rail made this century), funny little plastic things that you havn't got a clue what they are but are damn certain that if you chuck it away you'll need it the next day.

We go to a new life and we will have none of these things, but how long before they start to reappear?
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:08 am
Badge

Default Funny things in Jars

Hup wins todays comp for most original post (today).

You lucky, lucky b'trd.

as I live in the SE of the UK I don't have that problem, as I can't afford more than a 1 bed flat on my IT wages, I haven't got a garden/garage so I haven't got a shed/garden so can't store jars with funny things in them.

What wouldn't I give to have jars with funny things in them.

I'm going to home to the Missus and say "Darling about Australia. Just think we'll have a shed to store our funny jars in!"""

badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Sep 29th 2003 at 3:12 am.

Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Strewth Matt

i thought i was the only person who had all that, always thought it was just because i was such an untidy cow, so you have just made my day, those are the sort of things i cant bring myself to sort out, there isnt going to be anything of any use in there so i should just tip the whole lot straight in a bin bag, but no, i'll leave them for another day..........................as for starting the practice again, well i would imagine we'd need another as soon as we unlock the cases, somewhere to put the keys:scared:

Lynn
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funny things in Jars

Hi HUP
Another frivilous post? Almost as bad as talking about glitter balls and pink organza!
Well, I started doing that job before 2nd sprog came along (November). I'm still finding bits of dodgy lippy, batteries, curtain hooks, wires, old cheque books going back about 10 years.... the list is endless!!! Think I need to be more ruthless...
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:17 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
as I live in the SE of the UK I don't have that problem, as I can't afford more than a 1 bed flat on my IT wages, I haven't got a badge
Size is irrelevant badgers (I won't make the obvious comment). We have a mug with old pens (most of them knackered) and other bits of crap. I'm sure you could fit one of them in your hutch. In fact you can have it if you want
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:23 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Do you know you've made my afternoon. i just had a right chuckle to myself thinking about all those jars and mugs to be sorted to be sort. It's things like that you never think of.

*stands up and faces the masses* My name is leigh, and i'm a gatherer. I'm trying to become normal, but i can't, i have tried honest i have...

I keep everything! as an example, I have a small piece of chain, (the sort you'd attach a key or watch to if it had a loop at either end, but it hasn't), i've had it since i was in junior school! i could even tell you where i found it, at the bottom of my grandad's tool box when i was exploring one summer's afternoon. It's useless, but i've kept it safe, and i know exactly where it is if i need it.

I have boxes and boxes of junk like that, old plugs, bits of wire, dead batteries, marbles??!, ball bearings??! Those tv aerials you get with tv's that have long since been skipped and wont fit another tv set again ever! all sorts..... (and don't even get me started on computer bits!)

...you did make me realise something though, it will all be gone when i move to auz!! a clean start! no more junk in my life. what i can't sell will be skipped, or dumped on a charity shop if it's worth a penny.

thanks again for the chuckle.

leigh!

*sits down*
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to warn you Hup, I started sorting all those bits and pieces out in August, and am still finding more.....seems the kids are as big a squirrels as us!

If it gets too near the date when the packers come, I'll have to be ruthless and bin the lot.

Badgers, I lived out of a backpack for 2 yrs and still accumulated a zip pocket in the backpack full of 'stuff' It's gonna follow me for the rest of my life!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:24 am
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally posted by Larissa
pink organza!
Whats that then? Sounds a bit rude .
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
Whats that then? Sounds a bit rude .
Net stuff for windows. Not a bit rude at all.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:34 am
WBB

we are kind of putting that day off ourselves, untill we have our visas, otherwise you can guarantee you would need that string/marble/battery or whatever.

be nice to have a fresh start though.

Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:38 am
Badge

lol suffolkdiva

hey I sorted out the contents of my backpack zipper pocket (attached to inside main compartment back) - found all the receipts from Straya.

badgers

Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Amusing thread. My nextdoor neighbour is extremely tidy - she chucks everything away... I don't know how she survives sometimes - every so often, there's a knock a the door and she's asking to borrow something! I lent her my rolling pin a few months back, but haven't had it back yet - hope she aint binned it! :scared:
Larissa
Socks are gonna be a problem. I've got about 1/2 a laundry basket of odd ones, but I'm too scared to throw 'em out incase they turn up!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very very funny post - and oh so true! Even though I've been sorting and chucking stuff out since the start of the year, I've now got down to that dreaded day - when I have to do THAT drawer in the kitchen and THAT collection of pots in the sitting room! And, yes I keep picking the things up and saying "Should I take it in case I need it one day?" For goodness sake, Pollyana, you've had some of this stuff 25 years and never needed it! Why the hell would you need it now!!!!

Some of the funniest things are - EIGHT of those plastic keys for gas meter boxes, 3 spare bath plugs (don't fit Aussie baths!), 12 empty wine bottles with plastic flowers in or flags stood in, 5 saucepan lids - waiting for me to find saucepans that they might fit, a mountain of used jiffy bags, bits of broken mugs, a 1992 phone book (don't ask!), and a police "no waiting" traffic cone that has somehow got into my airing cupboard...... you wait till I see my best mate!

Wheres that binbag........
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:08 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
Very very funny post - and oh so true! Even though I've been sorting and chucking stuff out since the start of the year, I've now got down to that dreaded day - when I have to do THAT drawer in the kitchen and THAT collection of pots in the sitting room! And, yes I keep picking the things up and saying "Should I take it in case I need it one day?" For goodness sake, Pollyana, you've had some of this stuff 25 years and never needed it! Why the hell would you need it now!!!!

Some of the funniest things are - EIGHT of those plastic keys for gas meter boxes, 3 spare bath plugs (don't fit Aussie baths!), 12 empty wine bottles with plastic flowers in or flags stood in, 5 saucepan lids - waiting for me to find saucepans that they might fit, a mountain of used jiffy bags, bits of broken mugs, a 1992 phone book (don't ask!), and a police "no waiting" traffic cone that has somehow got into my airing cupboard...... you wait till I see my best mate!

Wheres that binbag........

What a fab post, and how true!!
It is great to know that Im not the only one who hoards loads of crap!! Our shippers are coming in two weeks and I havent even started yet! OMG:scared:

It gets worse when you have kids.....old baby bits(clothes, first shoes, tiny teeny socks! etc), 4 broken lunchboxes, milk teeth!!!?? (supposedly been taken by the tooth fairy but hiding in my jewellry box!), flat footballs(wont let me chuck em!), mcdonald toys....a whole bloody box of em!!, yup batteries- millions of em, drawings from nursery(so sweet but so many, how can you chose which one to keep?), it goes on!

The obligatory rolls of sellotape? Do you take them or buy more when you get there???? Is that just a waste of money?

I thought I was bad but feel much better now, especially after reading Pollyana's post.......traffic cone indeed...hhmmmmm
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana

a police "no waiting" traffic cone that has somehow got into my airing cupboard......
LOL
How weird. I've got one of those too. Not at all sure what to do with it....Is there some anonymous police telephone no you can ring to get them to collect it?! Shall I just stash it in the street when nobody is looking?!

Nicola

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.