Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we try again!!

Do we try again!!

Old May 17th 2011, 8:02 am
Just Joined

thereandbackagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we try again!!

To the OP, just my opinion but if you have no particular reason (apart from to keep the visa) for going back to Australia, for example a job,family,etc don't put yourself through all the stress, have seen this too many times, what you experienced there before is still going to be there, someone else said it, it's about you not the place. It's all exciting the move etc, and you'll be busy initially but then you have to put a life together and that means jobs, social network etc. We're on our third move back but each time move has been because of a job or health/family related. It's hard enough putting everything together without the worry of finding a job and in your case, having maybe left your son the other side of the world added to the mix and it's bloody expensive! Don't mean to sound negative but ask yourself and your family what you really want, you might just find what you're looking for in the UK without going through the hassle of a huge move, good luck with your decision.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:16 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

No.

(Brought to you by StraightToThePoint Inc.)
Old May 17th 2011, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to side with Bermuda shorts,quoll and Amazulu on this one. What makes you feel Australia is right for you this time?

Things have moved on here and what do you hope to gain that you cannot find in Britain?
The life is expensive and think if you really want to put yourselves through all that goes with settling in another country at an older stage in life.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thereandbackagain
To the OP, just my opinion but if you have no particular reason (apart from to keep the visa) for going back to Australia, for example a job,family,etc don't put yourself through all the stress, have seen this too many times, what you experienced there before is still going to be there, someone else said it, it's about you not the place. It's all exciting the move etc, and you'll be busy initially but then you have to put a life together and that means jobs, social network etc. We're on our third move back but each time move has been because of a job or health/family related. It's hard enough putting everything together without the worry of finding a job and in your case, having maybe left your son the other side of the world added to the mix and it's bloody expensive! Don't mean to sound negative but ask yourself and your family what you really want, you might just find what you're looking for in the UK without going through the hassle of a huge move, good luck with your decision.
Very much agree.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I am not sure on this one.

I lived here twice for a year then came back 3rd time and settled.

For me though things had changed. first twice I was young, just living you know without any reason to settle. the third time I wanted to set down roots and had very stable roots at home in the uk that will never go away.

Only you can answer this question, I wonder whether the counselling idea isnt the way to go.

There are still shortages of jobs for carpenters in many states and licenses and all that settling into a new country stuff.

But something is niggling you so perhaps its just you need time and this time would be less of a shock.

The hard thing for me to reconcile would be leaving my son - if he were coming then its different - why do you think he won't. If he isnt I think I would probably sway towards the other opinions on here. i mean its never going to be home without your family - or is it? its your life and your dreams.

and if you make the wrong decision - who cares, you have shown you know the way home

hope it works out for you!
Old May 17th 2011, 4:58 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the OP has given it a go twice. The first time was just a validation trip if I have read correctly.
The second time was a shock and they panicked and returned.

OP - You will always get conflicting advice on here and ultimately only you can make a decision. Try compiling a pro's and con's list and see what you come up with

Last edited by Kapri; May 17th 2011 at 4:58 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 17th 2011, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I don't think the OP has given it a go twice. The first time was just a validation trip if I have read correctly.
The second time was a shock and they panicked and returned.
Well they sent a container that they didn't even get to unpack, post #1. People don't normally send containers for a validation trip.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

kericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud of

i know exactly where your coming from,me and my family had done it twice,well 3 times with validating.we first went out november 07 to activate our visas for 3 weeks and by the time we had returned our house was sold,everything went so quick it was like a whirlwind,we had always talked about oz and starting a new life out there for me hubby and the kids a better way of life for us all,so in march 08 we landed in oz to start our new lives everything was really daunting at first getting cars,sorting rentals kids out jobs etc.it wasnt easy and was very stressful at the time,but after a few weeks kids were in school,hubby at work and thats when reality kicked in i thought omg ,over time i just couldnt settle and so in december when my family came out we decided we wanted to come back home,we came back jan 09,after spending 6 wks back in the uk we decided to give it another go as i knew we hadnt given it long enough,and what happened again after 5 months of being bk there it was happening again being homesick,so we are now back in the uk have been back now for nearly 2 yrs and as time has gone i just cant settle,my hubby and the kids didnt want to come bk but it was me i came back for the wrong reasons totally for friends and family not thinking of my own,my eldest is nearly 14 now and we have spoken to him about it and he says he wants to go back,i feel that i have messed them up all because of how i was feeling and not taking into considiration for kids and hubby.i really wanna be back out there now at the end of the day i never gave it enough time,and as time has gone on here i know that its being back there that i want to be we all do,my family and friends have their own lives and so do i ,i know that now and ive got to think of my kids and their future,i wish i could turn bk time but thats gone now so ive just got to look forward,we are now having to put our house up for sale which we bought when we came back so im hoping it will sell before its too late,i did like it out there but as i said i came back for the wrong reasons and now were living it again i now know where i want to be,you have to give it time living in another country they say at least 2 yrs and i didnt and i regret that totally i just wished i had seen things differently and not for myself im just hoping its not gonna be too late.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kapri
Try compiling a pro's and con's list and see what you come up with
It would be lovely if they worked, but unfortunately they normally only show your frame of mind, and as I know, are pretty useless 12 months later.

Do I think its possible to make it work on the third attempt.....I bloody hope so, otherwise I am doomed

Being honest with yourself with regard to the reasons you returned are the key. Alot of people will say, "came back because of a family health issue" or some similar crisis, but underneath, was that just an excuse that allowed you to return to the UK, without stating that you were unhappy in Oz??

I hope you find your peace, whether it is UK, Australia or somewhere else, living in Limbo is no fun. Good luck

Old May 17th 2011, 10:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea why your migration consultant says you can apply for an RRV. Well, you can but you won't get one so the only one who'd get anything out of it would be the 'consultant' who gets paid (presumably). To get an RRV you really need to apply close to the end of the visa date, you're a couple of years later. You also need to prove 'substantial ties' which generally means jobs, property, bank account, family etc etc etc. You have none of those here - from what you've told us anyway.

In all honesty, you stand buckleys chance of being granted a RRV.

Have you considered a move to somewhere else in the UK, you seem to have a travel itch, maybe scratch it by going somewhere slightly closer to 'home'?
Old May 17th 2011, 11:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I have no idea why your migration consultant says you can apply for an RRV. Well, you can but you won't get one so the only one who'd get anything out of it would be the 'consultant' who gets paid (presumably). To get an RRV you really need to apply close to the end of the visa date, you're a couple of years later. You also need to prove 'substantial ties' which generally means jobs, property, bank account, family etc etc etc. You have none of those here - from what you've told us anyway.

In all honesty, you stand buckleys chance of being granted a RRV.

Have you considered a move to somewhere else in the UK, you seem to have a travel itch, maybe scratch it by going somewhere slightly closer to 'home'?
So that puts paid to this thread then!

OP: Maybe for you it's a blessing in disguise. Good luck
Old May 17th 2011, 11:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
So that puts paid to this thread then!

OP: Maybe for you it's a blessing in disguise. Good luck
Sorry, did that come over harsher than I meant it to? I just don't get how someone who presumably knows what they're talking about RRV wise could say that I keep going back and rereading the OP just to check I've not read it wrong.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, did that come over harsher than I meant it to? I just don't get how someone who presumably knows what they're talking about RRV wise could say that I keep going back and rereading the OP just to check I've not read it wrong.
You should have read my post #11 as well then.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You should have read my post #11 as well then.
When did you stick that one in. I'm sure it wasn't there when I read the thread.
Old May 17th 2011, 11:51 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

No it didn't come over too harsh but it is a reality check. Maybe they should first make sure that the option to return actually exists? Best they seek out the honest opinions of more than one migration agent before proceeding. You were right to flag it up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.