Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies think best before dates are for decoration???

Do Aussies think best before dates are for decoration???

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:55 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies think best before dates are for decoration???

They're actually getting rid of these dates in the UK in order to stop food waste.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Petals
I never buy ham or cold meats from the deli anymore. MY son has degree and diploma in science and when he was studying he told me about the meat at the deli, said it should be cut for you not sit around cut up like it is. After that I found myself looking at the cold cuts for signs of deterioration. So I always buy it in packets now with a long use by date.
Hopefully you won't need to do that for too much longer - our local Coles is a concept store where they try and test ideas and they now have a deli section where they cut the cold meats fresh for you. You can even ask them to open a completely fresh one if you want :-) I guess the plan is to slowly roll this out as standard in all their stores.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

This thread made me laugh - even when the product is within its 'best before' date it is quite often 'off'. I have lost count of the times milk from safeways has been off up to 5 days before its best before date. Had that happen yesterday in fact - and I usually only realise after I have poured it on my cereal in the morning and it sits in lumps and blobs, or worse dont realise til it is my mouth.
And trying to get fresh pre-packaged meat in the supermarket is a joke - quite often it is marked as 'use by' the end of the current day without being reduced...I think they wait til 1 minute to midnight before reducing it or something!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I won't comment on the lack of discounting or legal issues with selling products after their best before date.

But...
These dates are often set by regulatory bodies and are more of the arbitrary than real nature.

There are a best before dates on canned foods, when the only two reasons exist for canned food to go bad:
1. Not canned properly (in which case it goes bad very fast, within days or weeks)
2. Damage to the can, either mechanical or after a very long time by rust.
Otherwise that can will be edible 10 years down the track.

Dry goods like pasta, instant coffe, cookies etc do not go magically bad one day after passing their best before date.

As to fresh stuff going bad before the expiry date, happens frequently in some stores for a simple reason: broken cold chain. Milk was not kept cool for all the time, some hardworking soul let it get warm on the loading dock, in the truck or behind the shop.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:23 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Well, I had to laugh, but recently I've been to a few small shops selling a variety of food stuffs, that are 'out of date'. Don't get me wrong it's not the fresh stuff, but sugar, pasta, chocolate etc.

Now a few weeks is probably OK for dried goods, but I just wouldn't be prepared to pay full price for them. However I'm not talking a few weeks, or indeed a few months..... I'm talking YEARS out of date!

Are there no rules for the sale of foods past their 'best before' dates. I went to one store and almost every item was out of date!

This is South Australia we're talking about here btw.
I've noticed recently that my local IGA has a habit of selling things like cold meats on the same day that the best-before date on the packaging expires.

I must say though, that the "big boys" never do this as I now check the best-before dates fairly frequently when I shop at Woolworths or Coles. IGA? Well IGA are as IGA does I guess?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's never happened to me because I never check the date* .

For some items like Coon Cheese - it might improve it and save me having to fork out for a more expensive item.

*I do when buying milk - and haul from the back of the cabinet - hangover from single days when a 3l bottle of milk had a chance to go off - no need now as with pre-schoolers we never have enough milk..
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Always check the date on milk and get one from the back of cabinet.

Still not 100% guarantee but there is nothing else that can be done (except tasting some in store and putting the bad ones back).
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Queensland is no better. They only seem to worry if they think its being served in a public fuction or whatever and they might get sued, otherwise the majority of people don't seem to worry.
Not being fully versed in the formalities of one of these Australian events, what exactly goes on? Can anyone join in?

TD