Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies think best before dates are for decoration???

Do Aussies think best before dates are for decoration???

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:26 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do Aussies think best before dates are for decoration???

Well, I had to laugh, but recently I've been to a few small shops selling a variety of food stuffs, that are 'out of date'. Don't get me wrong it's not the fresh stuff, but sugar, pasta, chocolate etc.

Now a few weeks is probably OK for dried goods, but I just wouldn't be prepared to pay full price for them. However I'm not talking a few weeks, or indeed a few months..... I'm talking YEARS out of date!

Are there no rules for the sale of foods past their 'best before' dates. I went to one store and almost every item was out of date!

This is South Australia we're talking about here btw.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do Aussies think best before dates are for decoration???

I've noticed that too and even on fresh orange juice and milk in Woolworths "the fresh food people" (Brisbane)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Well, I had to laugh, but recently I've been to a few small shops selling a variety of food stuffs, that are 'out of date'. Don't get me wrong it's not the fresh stuff, but sugar, pasta, chocolate etc.

Now a few weeks is probably OK for dried goods, but I just wouldn't be prepared to pay full price for them. However I'm not talking a few weeks, or indeed a few months..... I'm talking YEARS out of date!

Are there no rules for the sale of foods past their 'best before' dates. I went to one store and almost every item was out of date!

This is South Australia we're talking about here btw.
Queensland is no better. They only seem to worry if they think its being served in a public fuction or whatever and they might get sued, otherwise the majority of people don't seem to worry.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:47 am
Just Joined

chellebelle will become famous soon enough

Always check the label!!!! It happens all the time. And if you ask, they'll generally tell you its "Best Before" not "Use By" - I think both are equally as awful
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:01 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd have a look into the legality of it...

It appears that Best before dates ARE for decoration!!!

the NSW booklet on food labels says:

"Foods are still safe to eat after this date as long as they are not damaged,
deteriorated or perished.
The BEST BEFORE date simply indicates that the product may have lost some
of its quality after this date passes.
Foods can be legally sold after the BEST BEFORE date (as long as they are not
damaged, deteriorated or perished).
You can expect these foods to retain their colour, taste, texture and flavour as
long as they are stored correctly."

Doesn't mean I'm going to be eating that stuff though!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

In 4 years in Perth I have NEVER come across an out of date item. The only thing I have had issue with is 1 bottle of SA red wine which was corked.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

chellebelle will become famous soon enough

That would be MUCH worse - corked wine!! Then I'd really be feeling ripped off!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't count the number of times I had to return stuff to supermarkets in the UK for selling stuff past the use by date, let alone the best before date. Only had to do it a couple of times here. However I was in the UK for 40+ years and only been here 3+ so maybe it's comparable.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jun 23rd 2009 at 7:42 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can't count the number of times I had to return stuff to supermarkets in the UK for selling stuff past the use by date, let alone the best before date. Only had to do it a couple of times here. However I was in the UK for 40+ years and only been here 3+ so may it's comparable.
Absolutely. Its a world wide phenomenon where large mass processed foods are concerned.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

Well I recently left my job due to this,I worked for an independent supermarket in the deli my manager on a dail basis sold out of date foods,cold meats,fish etc,I would challenge this and would be told the products were best before dates and they would be fine,this went on for a while all the staff would moan but never do anything about it,the health and safety in this store was never used.I eventually had enough and went direct to the store manager ,who couldnt careless and said it would be a good idea if I came out of the deli as my manager couldnt work with me now as I had gone over her head.Anyway I told them they could keep there job and left.I will never buy from a deli again Ive seen what goes on and it isnt pretty.z
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I have an ongoing battle with my two local supermarkets (Coles and Woolies) nearly every time I find stuff that is out of date and not just tinned or dried things, last week there was a special offer on sunflower spread, every single one was over 2 weeks out of date, when I asked the staff, they said "duh, that's why it is a special offer, madam!" They just didn't get it.............

I did used to find stuff in Tesco and Asda too, but they usually changed it without question and gave a refund too.

Sam
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:22 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
I have an ongoing battle with my two local supermarkets (Coles and Woolies) nearly every time I find stuff that is out of date and not just tinned or dried things, last week there was a special offer on sunflower spread, every single one was over 2 weeks out of date, when I asked the staff, they said "duh, that's why it is a special offer, madam!" They just didn't get it.............

I did used to find stuff in Tesco and Asda too, but they usually changed it without question and gave a refund too.Sam
That may have been because they can be charged upto a 1000 GBP per item!!! X
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:58 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

funny this thread its something I always complain about .

My lads bought a bottle of pop from a vending machine and it was over a year out of date didnt find out until I tasted it.

We check everything now, we have come accross so much stuff in the past 6 months that is past its sell by date.

Think i will avoid the deli from now on
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:31 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be a small shop around the corner (UK) and the owner used to always try and sell out of date a few pence cheaper, he must have been related to Arkwright!

Cooler
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I never buy ham or cold meats from the deli anymore. MY son has degree and diploma in science and when he was studying he told me about the meat at the deli, said it should be cut for you not sit around cut up like it is. After that I found myself looking at the cold cuts for signs of deterioration. So I always buy it in packets now with a long use by date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.