Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about long haul flight?

Question about long haul flight?

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

blackbag is on a distinguished road
Default Question about long haul flight?

I am looking to book our flights for September and was originally looking at flying with Qantas, mainly because they appeared to do a direct flight, stopping once to refuel and no aircraft changing, however after reading about some peoples experiences and there general lack of customer service I am looking to fly with Singapore Airways

As we have never flown long haul and my wife doesn’t really like flying and our 4 year old has never been on a plane, I have a few question regarding the whole long haul process.

From what I have read it appears that our baggage would be checked to destination, so once we check in at Heathrow we would see it again until we arrive in Melbourne, but I am unsure what happens to us when we arrive in Singapore, do we have to go through passport control and check in again, or are we taken to our next departure lounge?

Thanks in advance for you help
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question about long haul flight?

Hi

Yes, your lugguage will be checked in at Heathrow and you won't get it until you land in Melbourne. In Singapore airport you will be asked to leave the plane while it either refuels or you change aircraft. No biggie is Singapore is very easy to find your way around plus all the gates to Australian cities are usually next to those coming in from the UK.

Usually the cabin crewe will announce onboard (if it is just a refuelling stop) what time you need to be back at the gate for. Means you have time to go to the loo, stretch your legs, grab a drink etc.

If you are changing plane completely then just look at the boards and it will tell you where to go. You don't go through passport control again and no one takes you to the gate.

Sounds daunting but it is very easy. Your 4 year old will have a wonderful time. All very new and exciting for them. Take lots of little snacks and may be wrap a couple of new toys/books to keep them entertained.

Last edited by Kingseat; Jun 22nd 2009 at 1:27 pm. Reason: missed out a sentence.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

blackbag is on a distinguished road

thanks, i was starting to have nightmares about being stuck at an airport not knowing where to go.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Flying on Singapore with children is a pleasure, they will look after you very well. The previous poster was spot on, it's all very easy, much easier than you'd imagine. Good luck with your journey.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

oooh and by the way the signs in Singapore Airport are all in English too so you can't go wrong!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackbag
I am looking to book our flights for September and was originally looking at flying with Qantas, mainly because they appeared to do a direct flight, stopping once to refuel and no aircraft changing, however after reading about some peoples experiences and there general lack of customer service I am looking to fly with Singapore Airways

As we have never flown long haul and my wife doesn’t really like flying and our 4 year old has never been on a plane, I have a few question regarding the whole long haul process.

From what I have read it appears that our baggage would be checked to destination, so once we check in at Heathrow we would see it again until we arrive in Melbourne, but I am unsure what happens to us when we arrive in Singapore, do we have to go through passport control and check in again, or are we taken to our next departure lounge?

You simply, as others have said, check in at LHR. You will be given your boarding passes for the London sector and another for Singapore to MEL. Your luggage arrives at MEL, so you don't need to worry about that.

When you disembark at SIN you simply follow the transit signs, check the boards for your next flight and make sure that you turn up to the gate number before the flight. You already have your boarding pass so don't need to do anything else.

Its very easy and nothing to worry about. If you have a couple of hours or more at Singapore and want to get a shower and stuff then you can use a paid lounge http://www.plaza-ppl.com/sg_en/ and grab food, drinks and comfort. That said, Changi T3 is a superb airport and its quite easy to spend a couple of hours shop wandering etc.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with Qantas IMHO, one airline is pretty much like any other and everyone has horror stories about one airline or another. I have never had a bad trip with Qantas (unlike some other airlines I have tried) and I seem to be able to find cheap fares with them too. The advantage is definitely that there is minimal fuss with a refuelling stop and no change of aircraft - even though you do have to take everything off the plane while they refuel so travel as light as you possibly can because you do not want to be taking the kitchen sink with you!

My tip is to get a flight that leaves UK late at night (that's why I love QF!) and make sure that your 4 yo has a really busy day. Chances are they will be asleep before wheels up and if you are lucky they will wake up just in time to have breakfast before you land in S'pore. Then be as active as you can - you will probably have quite a nice walk into the centre hub where all the shops are and if you are feeling really active and get the 4 yo running around, you can almost walk to the furthest part of the airport and walk briskly back - you have 45 - 60 minutes to do that. It's very clearly signed. Then, with luck, they will be asleep on the last leg. If you are going to resort to Phenergan (because someone tells you it is a good idea) then try it out first because some of the antihisthamines can make for a hyperactive tot and you do not want that for 24 hours! However if you have a child who is prone to travelsickness then try out whatever travelsick meds you are likely to want to use well before you get on the plane.

Luggage isnt a problem once you have got rid of it at Heathrow but you will need to show your passports and boarding passes when you reboard in S'pore.

Keep calm and you will all be fine, I am sure!

Whichever airline you go with, think about joining their frequent flyer program because you never know when a free flight home might be a good idea.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

You will be fine.

Hardest part is Heathrow that place is a nightmare. We are going back through Frankfurt hope it is not as bad. 4 year old will be fine probably sleep for most of it anyway.

Paddy
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
There is nothing wrong with Qantas IMHO, one airline is pretty much like any other and everyone has horror stories about one airline or another.
Couldn't agree more. I've always found QANTAS to be really helpful. When I flew home in December when my father died they went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of, even going as far as to make sure I had a row to myself for the MEL-LAX leg and asking the guy who moved to my row to move somewhere else so I could be alone. They've always been great when I've flown with my kids, too.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:07 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
You will be fine.

Hardest part is Heathrow that place is a nightmare. We are going back through Frankfurt hope it is not as bad. 4 year old will be fine probably sleep for most of it anyway.

Paddy
Just dont mention the war
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

I've travelled back and forward between Aust and the Uk/Europe with two children under 4, five times now.

I would not fly with Qantas if you paid me (i'm an Aussie btw).

Seeing as you're flying with children I would heartily recommend Singapore Airlies, I would rate Thai higher (they love children) and I would rate Korean Air as the best (although I don't think they go to Singapore).

I would SERIOUSLY recommend you consider a stop over. In all cases (flying direct) out of the UK our children have slept like babies on the first sector.. but have then been wide awake on the second sector when everybody else including us is trying to sleep. Having a stopover gives everybody time to be awake, sleep, chill out and relax before going to sleep again on the next sector.. besides, do you really need to be there straight away - remove the stress from the journey, enjoy it and relax I say.

A stopover shouldn't cost you very much more (indeed, the hotel is inclusive in some Korean fares). Personally, i think Hong Kong is more interesting than Singapore (food, trams, light show). We've only been into Seoul once, otherwise stayed in the fantastic airport hotel (heated pool). They adore children.

I've no conenction with any airline/agent. Have travelled with children (one disabled) a shed load however.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
We are going back through Frankfurt hope it is not as bad.
Nearly all German airports are excellent and great examples of German design and efficiency. Frankfurt is not one of them and they seem to be in a perpetual state of construction.

And for the OP, avoid Qantas at all costs - Thai, Singapore, Cathay Pacific are all brilliant.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blackbag

May be worth considering having a stopover in Singapore of atleast a few hours. That way you could use the pool within the airport. Very good at tiring out children and refreshing parents. Done this many times when I travelled with my 3 young ones - makes all the difference believe me

HTH
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzSheila
May be worth considering having a stopover in Singapore of atleast a few hours. That way you could use the pool within the airport. Very good at tiring out children and refreshing parents. Done this many times when I travelled with my 3 young ones - makes all the difference believe me

HTH
This sounds great. Just looking into getting back to the UK for a visit. Had to cancel tickets booked for a week ago. We'll be travelling with 5 year old 3.5 year old and bubba. We normally just head straight through on Emirates because of the short stop and quickest route but might consider this instead.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Just dont mention the war
Its OK, if you only do it once you should get away with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.