Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Differences between London and Perth...

Differences between London and Perth...

Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between London and Perth...

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Fair enough, I love real ale. I tend to avoid anything that is mass manufactured. Prefer the boutique stuff.

I would reccomend Snowy Mountains Crackenback Pale Ale. If you can get it in Perth that is.
I'll give it a go. Dan Murphy seem to stock most beers.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:10 am
ABCDiamond

It would be more relevant to compare Perth with a city of similar size though.
Wouldn't that be irrelevant though, as the OP is comparing the two places that they have lived in.

Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:50 am
lol
Forum Regular

lol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant future

Perth has been ranked the 5th best city to live in the world....

FORGET Dullsville, Perth is one of the world's top five places to live, according to a British survey ranking the liveability of 140 major cities.

Australian cities occupy five of the top 20 places in the Economist Intelligence Unit's 2009 Liveability survey, with Melbourne ranked third in the world, behind Vancouver in Canada and the Austrian city of Vienna.

The survey assessed 140 cities based on stability, health care, education, infrastructure and culture and environment, giving each one a rating out of 100.

Perth was equal fifth with Calgary in Canada, with Sydney sharing ninth place with Zurich in Switzerland, Adelaide in 11th place and Brisbane 16th on the list.

As well as Vancouver and Calgary, Canadian cities also featured strongly in the top 20, with Toronto (4th) and Montreal (17th).

The New Zealand cities of Auckland and Wellington finished 12th and 23rd respectively.

US centres were well down the list. Pittsburgh ranked highest, in 29th place.

The highest-ranked Asian city was Osaka in Japan (13th). The next highest was Hong Kong (equal 39th with Madrid, Spain) followed by Singapore (54th) and Seoul, South Korea (58th).

The worst city to live on earth is Harare, the strife-torn capital of Zimbabwe.

"The performance of Asian cities reflects the diverse levels of development throughout the region,'' EIU spokesman Jon Copestake said.

"Australian cities represent many of the best aspects of liveability, while instability in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh means that cities in South Asia fare much worse.''

The Economist Intelligence Unit is a branch of The Economist Group, which publishes The Economist, a weekly news magazine, in London.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lol
Perth has been ranked the 5th best city to live in the world....

FORGET Dullsville, Perth is one of the world's top five places to live, according to a British survey ranking the liveability of 140 major cities.

Australian cities occupy five of the top 20 places in the Economist Intelligence Unit's 2009 Liveability survey, with Melbourne ranked third in the world, behind Vancouver in Canada and the Austrian city of Vienna.

The survey assessed 140 cities based on stability, health care, education, infrastructure and culture and environment, giving each one a rating out of 100.

Perth was equal fifth with Calgary in Canada, with Sydney sharing ninth place with Zurich in Switzerland, Adelaide in 11th place and Brisbane 16th on the list.

As well as Vancouver and Calgary, Canadian cities also featured strongly in the top 20, with Toronto (4th) and Montreal (17th).

The New Zealand cities of Auckland and Wellington finished 12th and 23rd respectively.

US centres were well down the list. Pittsburgh ranked highest, in 29th place.

The highest-ranked Asian city was Osaka in Japan (13th). The next highest was Hong Kong (equal 39th with Madrid, Spain) followed by Singapore (54th) and Seoul, South Korea (58th).

The worst city to live on earth is Harare, the strife-torn capital of Zimbabwe.

"The performance of Asian cities reflects the diverse levels of development throughout the region,'' EIU spokesman Jon Copestake said.

"Australian cities represent many of the best aspects of liveability, while instability in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh means that cities in South Asia fare much worse.''

The Economist Intelligence Unit is a branch of The Economist Group, which publishes The Economist, a weekly news magazine, in London.
Link, please
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Hmmm - you're a bit of a troll idiot aren't you?

No, like I said - it may be a bit of a heads-up to people heading out to Perth from the UK/London.

I certainly wasn't aware of a lot of what I've found out since living here when still in London.

Shit, why am I even bothering to reply to a muppet like you.
Enough of the insults. We're all grown ups here, so start acting like it.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:45 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Why on earth did I even bother doing this....

I learnt long ago to never, ever, start a thread that compares the UK with Oz in anyway shape or form unless you are up for verbal punch up.... I used to start them all the time.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Wouldn't that be irrelevant though, as the OP is comparing the two places that they have lived in.
Comparing Blackpool to Shellharbour

1) Both are near the sea
2) Blackpool has loads more twinkly lights at certain times of year
3) Shellharbour has dolphins... in the sea, not a tank.
3) One of them has more pavement pizza's on weekend mornings.
4) The beer is better in Blackpool
5) Blackpool has much bigger pylons.

Other than that they are almost indistinguishable.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
3) Shellharbour has dolphins... in the sea, not a tank.
Blackpool also has plenty of wild dolphins in the sea...not in a tank

http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk...tput_region=11

G
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
Blackpool also has plenty of wild dolphins in the sea...not in a tank

http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk...tput_region=11

G
I'm stunned !!

Never saw any from the bar though.. which I have managed from here.

http://www.oceanbeachhotel.com.au/
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Enough of the insults. We're all grown ups here, so start acting like it.
Maybe you should start looking at troll-like sarcastic comments started in a thread that was intended to help future expats? That's what this place is for after all, isn't it?

It's clear to anyone that the guy is on a wind-up, and was adding nothing to this thread apart from sarcasm, thus he is a troll in my opinion and a moderator should 'have a word'. If that kind of behaviour is allowed on this forum people will give up creating posts.

My initial comments re: Perth and London were not knocking one or the other, they were merely things I've noticed. Yet still there are muppets who try to insinuate that it is a slagging off Perth thread, and that I can't compare London to Perth.

I've certainly learnt my lesson and will most definitely not be starting anymore threads as there's a few on here who go out of their way to try and make people look like fools, in some inane attempt to try and look clever.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Differences I have noticed between Mexico City and Midsomer Norton

1. The traffic isn't as heavy
2. Less people speak Spanish
3. There are no thatched cottages in Mexico City
Ha Ha Ha
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough

To me most important difference spending alot of time in both.

In Perth there isnt an underlying rap wannabe gang culture that involves 'shanking' an innocent person to become a member, Or a eastern european illegal pickpocket operation or trafficking kidnapped women to be used in the sex trade.

Just what I noticed from my time, and I am aware there is a degree of gang violence in Perth but not to the scale of our 'great' shitty i mean city.

For my kids thats the most important difference!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Because you were bored?
An unfortunate side effect of living in Perth.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

You'll hear more English accents in Perth that you will in London !
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:19 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should start looking at troll-like sarcastic comments started in a thread that was intended to help future expats? That's what this place is for after all, isn't it?

It's clear to anyone that the guy is on a wind-up, and was adding nothing to this thread apart from sarcasm, thus he is a troll in my opinion and a moderator should 'have a word'. If that kind of behaviour is allowed on this forum people will give up creating posts.

My initial comments re: Perth and London were not knocking one or the other, they were merely things I've noticed. Yet still there are muppets who try to insinuate that it is a slagging off Perth thread, and that I can't compare London to Perth.

I've certainly learnt my lesson and will most definitely not be starting anymore threads as there's a few on here who go out of their way to try and make people look like fools, in some inane attempt to try and look clever.

It was you who started with the insults though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.