Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Differences between London and Perth...

Differences between London and Perth...

Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Differences between London and Perth...

...I've noticed in the 18 months I've been living in Perth:
  • Much cleaner
  • Roads are far better
  • Less 'doom and gloom' attitude
  • Lack of over-development on coastal areas
  • Heavenly lack of serious traffic jams
  • More smokers
  • More casual drinking
  • Less responsibility when it comes to drink-driving (so many people do it)
  • Atrocious standard of driving
  • Quality of housing poor (for the most part)
  • Seems archaic in some senses (no late night shopping etc)
  • A definite underlying hint of racism
  • Clothing sizes are very confusing!
  • Books are incredibly expensive
  • Petrol is cheap!
  • Eating out is comparitively cheap
  • A lot more people seem to be overweight
  • Standard of TV/Radio is generally very poor
  • Always haggle a price!
  • Politicians seem quite unprofessional
  • Little or no e-commerce
  • Perth is very isolated
  • Flights out of Australia are pricier than into Australia
  • Rain = idiots spinning up their wheels on their Holden/Ford to look clever and invariably losing control....

Just a few things that immediately sprang to mind, that may help people on their way out. Anyone got any others?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: Differences between London and Perth...

London metro population about 14m, Perth metro about 1.5m?

Smoking though, don't agree there, I notice in Oz as a whole far fewer people smoke, statistically somthing like 35% adults in UK smoke compared to 25% here
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Not sure what you're getting at with the population references?

I think it depends on where in the UK you come from. I'm talking about London, where I certainly saw less people smoking than I do in Perth.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:25 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
London metro population about 14m, Perth metro about 1.5m?

Haha I thought that as well.

It's like comparing Tokyo with the Greater Bristol area.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Not sure what you're getting at with the population references?

I think it depends on where in the UK you come from. I'm talking about London, where I certainly saw less people smoking than I do in Perth.
Just saying they're basically chalk and cheese, totally different places. And I lived in London for 7 years too, until it was banned couldn't see in a pub for all the smoke, and you hardly see any teenagers/20 somethings smoking in Perth/Oz, only older people.

Mind you I much prefer the life in Perth to London any day
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

...I've noticed in the 18 months I've been living in Perth:
  • Much cleaner
  • Roads are far better
  • Less 'doom and gloom' attitude
  • Lack of over-development on coastal areas I guess in comparison to London, I would agree... but South east queensland is pretty heavily developed already along most of the coast, particularly the gold coast.
  • Heavenly lack of serious traffic jams
  • More smokers
  • More casual drinking
  • Less responsibility when it comes to drink-driving (so many people do it)
  • Atrocious standard of driving Some drivers are awful, but most are ok... not sure if it is really that different from UK.
  • Quality of housing poor (for the most part) hmm, I think I disagree with this one.. but for certain, some houses are very bad quality.
  • Seems archaic in some senses (no late night shopping etc) Brisbane is a little less behind the times, I reckon... but I can still see where you are coming from.
  • A definite underlying hint of racism
  • Clothing sizes are very confusing!
  • Books are incredibly expensive
  • Petrol is cheap!
  • Eating out is comparitively cheap
  • A lot more people seem to be overweight
  • Standard of TV/Radio is generally very poor
  • Always haggle a price!
  • Politicians seem quite unprofessional
  • Little or no e-commerce There seems to be a fair bit about, but it doesn't seem to offer much in the way of savings.
  • Perth is very isolated Brisbane is slightly less so, as it is closer to other Aus major cities. But it is further isolated from the rest of the world.
  • Flights out of Australia are pricier than into Australia
  • Rain = idiots spinning up their wheels on their Holden/Ford to look clever and invariably losing control....

Just a few things that immediately sprang to mind, that may help people on their way out. Anyone got any others?

Never been to Perth, but lived in Brisbane for 5yrs. The items in Blue, completely agree..... ones in grey, disagree. ones in black, 6 of one half a dozen of the other....

Last edited by asprilla; Aug 19th 2009 at 4:37 am.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:31 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying they're basically chalk and cheese, totally different places.

They are both cities, so of course they can be compared.

If the wookie was comparing Perth to e.g. a motorcycle engine, or a tree, then perhaps the old "chalk and cheese" cliche might be valid.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:34 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Haha I thought that as well.

It's like comparing Tokyo with the Greater Bristol area.
Guess what - it's your lucky day today... you are going to learn something.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to compare cities that have different populations.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Just saying they're basically chalk and cheese, totally different places. And I lived in London for 7 years too, until it was banned couldn't see in a pub for all the smoke, and you hardly see any teenagers/20 somethings smoking in Perth/Oz, only older people.

Mind you I much prefer the life in Perth to London any day
Nonsense. Of course I can compare the two. I just have.

They're both major cities, I've lived in both. Not every city has the same population, but does that mean that you cannot make comparisons? What an absurd thing to say.

You may as well write off half the posts on these forums where people compare living in Oz to the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

You may as well write off half the posts on these forums where people compare living in Oz to the UK.
With this website that would be one of the most precious bits of advice to a potential emigre to Oz, especially when researching Perth, the amount of slagging it gets from people who have never lived there

Of course you can compare Perth to London if you want, I too have lived in both, just saying they're so different it's quite hard really to make a comparison. Melbourne to London is much easier as they have a lot more in common
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:43 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Guess what - it's your lucky day today... you are going to learn something.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to compare cities that have different populations.
It would be more relevant to compare Perth with a city of similar size though.

But thanks for the sarcastic post.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My contribution:
Pub drinking is cheaper in London than it is in Perth - a lot cheaper.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:49 am
Banned

Differences I have noticed between Mexico City and Midsomer Norton

1. The traffic isn't as heavy
2. Less people speak Spanish
3. There are no thatched cottages in Mexico City
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My contribution:
Pub drinking is cheaper in London than it is in Perth - a lot cheaper.
...and the beers a lot better.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

This wasn't meant to be a 'slagging off' anything post. It was meant to be what it says in the title...

Differences that I've noticed between London and Perth since moving here.

I'm guessing a lot of people on here moving to Perth could be from London, so thought that something like this may be of use. It certainly wasn't an attempt to slag off Perth.

Why would I compare London to Melbourne? I've never lived in Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.