Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate in Perth

Desperate in Perth

Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice
Default Re: Desperate in Perth

Thank you for the helpful advice.

One last thing, I'm also a member of MENSA. How many points do I get for that?

What if I go there as a student working towards a grad degree in my college degree field? Could I drag that out for several years part time and then turn that into a PR?

Last edited by lastresort; Oct 12th 2010 at 11:46 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastresort
What if I go there as a student working towards a grad degree in my college degree field? Could I drag that out for several years part time and then turn that into a PR?
I think that student to PR visas have just been axed.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:14 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the helpful advice.

One last thing, I'm also a member of MENSA. How many points do I get for that?
Surely you're intelligent enough to go and find that out for yourself?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:17 am
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think that student to PR visas have just been axed.
But during those several years studying I could surely find someone to give me a part time job teaching, working in a lab or something, right?

How many years do they allow you to stay on as a part-time student? I have no real interest in pursuing graduate degrees so I would need some very light, easy coursework.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:26 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

But during those several years studying I could surely find someone to give me a part time job teaching, working in a lab or something, right?

How many years do they allow you to stay on as a part-time student? I have no real interest in pursuing graduate degrees so I would need some very light, easy coursework.
As graduate degrees cost in the region of $8000 - $14000 per semester, dragging it out over a few years could be hideously expensive. Furthermore, in order to get a PR visa from a student visa you will need to study full-time in an area that will lead to a job on the SOL (Skilled Occupation List). Bearing in mind that this list changes like the Melbourne weather, it's a risky process nowadays.

I got PR from student visa - but now, even with a PhD and a job which puts me in the top 30 or so people in the whole of Australia with my specialty I would not qualify for a 885 (PR visa).
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no real interest in pursuing graduate degrees so I would need some very light, easy coursework.
I'd DEFINITELY put that on your visa application. It'll help a lot.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This is beginning to sound like a wind up
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
This is beginning to sound like a wind up
Beginning to sound? I've seen the tongue in their cheek since the whole surf shack proposal started!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by itigo
Beginning to sound? I've seen the tongue in their cheek since the whole surf shack proposal started!
Yes, I particularly liked the MENSA touch.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
Haven't read that bit
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Haven't read that bit

Actually not a windup. I really do want to move there. It sounds like Oz is the perfect place and the strict immigration requirements are great. Unlike North America and Europe, they don't allow hordes of fools to enter the country (although I do hear they import lots of refugees, can I somehow qualify by getting PR in a war-torn country and from there apply for a refugee visa to Oz?).

Seems I'll just have to wait until my assets >800k but the problem with that is that is they have stringent ways of looking at where the money came from. Doesn't seem like you can just show them your bank statement.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:58 am

Unlike North America and Europe, they don't allow hordes of fools to enter the country...
Haven't you read BE?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Haven't you read BE?
What is BE? Link?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:02 am
Bitter and twisted

What is BE? Link?
The secret to a good wind up is to not overplay your hand
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

The secret to a good wind up is to not overplay your hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.