Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Desperate in Perth

Desperate in Perth

Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all
Default Re: Desperate in Perth

Hi Daisymoo
I would not like to comment on anything visa related - I am a tiler with Aus citizenship living in the Uk but about to move back to Perth . I have heard contradicting information about tiling work in Perth and most of it is very positive and straight from the horses mouth . With the amount of new builds and construction going on , not to mention the domestic market , if your husband has the skills and a portfolio / qualifications to show it - your search could be worth while - highly skilled british tilers are more valuable than ' DIY 'ers ' popping out the woodwork hoping to make a quick dollar .Best of luck to you .

There are two forums that would be worth you browsing if you haven't already - these could give you more specific info.

http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/
http://www.tiletalkaustralia.com/

Cheers

Dave
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:30 am
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, not unless you qualify for a business skills visa or another substantive visa. You can't rock up on a WHV and expect to stay forever. While some may manage to get sponsorship for PR or 457, it's not the norm and certainly I wouldn't sink money into buying a business when you will likely have to leave at the end of the year.

Besides, you can only work for any employer for a maximum of 6 months on the WHV. Owning a business you would be working for the business, so therefore more than the 6 month limit which is in breach of your visa conditions.

If you want to own a surf shop here you can apply for a business skills visa if you can show proof of successful prior business ownership.
I'm not worth 800k so I don't qualify for that.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/busin...ss-owner.htm#d

I could open my surf shop 7 months into my stay. Could I have a shell corporation own it and hire me? The surf shop would then be my sponsor.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:38 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Daisymoo, here's some websites you may like to scan for contacts and information. The last one is a forum for tilers.

http://www.australiantilecouncil.com.au/

http://www.homeimprovementpages.com....sionals/Tilers

http://www.tiletalkaustralia.com/
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastresort
I'm not worth 800k so I don't qualify for that.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/busin...ss-owner.htm#d

I could open my surf shop 7 months into my stay. Could I have a shell corporation own it and hire me? The surf shop would then be my sponsor.
Sure if you don't mind having to leave at the end of your year's working holiday. In order for the shop to sponsor you to stay they need to show DIAC that they are a legitimate business.

If you don't have the money how are you planning to open and run a business? Who's going to loan you the money? Surf shops ain't cheap to run I wouldn't think. Just buying stock to open could cost into the tens of thousands of dollars. And what about the rest of it? Do you have the money to pay for prime real estate near a beach? Can you pay your staff? Afford the outlay for tills and store fixtures?

Look, go home at the end of your year here. Get yourself a trade in something you want to do then apply for a visa when you have some experience.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:41 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax
Ya beat me to that one.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

lastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nicelastresort is just really nice

Sure if you don't mind having to leave at the end of your year's working holiday. In order for the shop to sponsor you to stay they need to show DIAC that they are a legitimate business.

If you don't have the money how are you planning to open and run a business? Who's going to loan you the money? Surf shops ain't cheap to run I wouldn't think. Just buying stock to open could cost into the tens of thousands of dollars. And what about the rest of it? Do you have the money to pay for prime real estate near a beach? Can you pay your staff? Afford the outlay for tills and store fixtures?

Look, go home at the end of your year here. Get yourself a trade in something you want to do then apply for a visa when you have some experience.

What is DIAC? It will be a legit business. We own surfboards and rent them. Couldn't be simpler.

I have money. I just don't have quite 800k. Surf shop seems really easy actually. A little place with a handful of boards and other odds and ends. My staff would be just one person probably. I'm not going to home and learn a trade. I already run a successful internet business.

Last edited by lastresort; Oct 12th 2010 at 1:37 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

What is DIAC? It will be a legit business. We own surfboards and rent them. Couldn't be simpler.

I have money. I just don't have quite 800k. Surf shop seems really easy actually. A little place with a handful of boards and other odds and ends. My staff would be just one person probably. I'm not going to home and learn a trade. I already run a successful internet business.
A surf rental shop might seem really easy, but Australia loves its rules and regulations. There would be a commercial lease (and any associated costs), not cheap in a beach location, applications and fees to the local council (who might decide they don't want your business on their beach), costs to the council for car parking spaces, fees to play music in your shop, insurance, losses when people disappear with your boards, council rates, water rates, salary and all on-costs, including superannuation, for your employee. If there's already a surf rental shop nearby, they probably have the right to complain about your proposal and get it blocked. Probably a hundred other items my brain is too tired to think of.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

DIAC is the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and if you want to follow the path you are proposing you need to get familiar with their website.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HelenTD
A surf rental shop might seem really easy, but Australia loves its rules and regulations. There would be a commercial lease (and any associated costs), not cheap in a beach location, applications and fees to the local council (who might decide they don't want your business on their beach), costs to the council for car parking spaces, fees to play music in your shop, insurance, losses when people disappear with your boards, council rates, water rates, salary and all on-costs, including superannuation, for your employee. If there's already a surf rental shop nearby, they probably have the right to complain about your proposal and get it blocked. Probably a hundred other items my brain is too tired to think of.
and there will be a course on it somewhere too!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

offski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really niceoffski is just really nice

Latest on visa rules.

I have contacted a lot of agents today inc go.matilda and all have informed me that there is no rule or law against someone travelling to Aus with a tourist visa to look for work or a sponsor so long as you dont actually do any work.

All good agents will tell you the same.

A lot of people on this site just say anything.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:56 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by offski
Latest on visa rules.

I have contacted a lot of agents today inc go.matilda and all have informed me that there is no rule or law against someone travelling to Aus with a tourist visa to look for work or a sponsor so long as you dont actually do any work.

All good agents will tell you the same.

A lot of people on this site just say anything.
See my post above.

It is not illegal to arrive on a tourist visa and look for a sponsor whilst on holiday here. Just be aware that the purpose of the evisitor/tourist visa is for a holiday, any visits to potential sponsors are incidental to that purpose.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

But you still run into the problem of your visa only allowing you to stay for 12 months and work for any emplooyer for a maximum of 6 months. At the end of the 12 month visa you will still be forced to leave. Owning a business is not enough for the government to allow you to stay. If it were that easy then everyone would come over, buy a cheap business and never go home. There are rules and regulations in place as to who can buy a business. And who can live here and who can't. Unfortunately, at the moment you do not seem to qualify to live here permanently with your idea and present skills.

As I said, if you truly want to live in Australia you are going to have to do it through proper channels, which includes either having a skill on the skilled list or having the business experience to come on a business visa.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

But you still run into the problem of your visa only allowing you to stay for 12 months and work for any emplooyer for a maximum of 6 months. At the end of the 12 month visa you will still be forced to leave. Owning a business is not enough for the government to allow you to stay. If it were that easy then everyone would come over, buy a cheap business and never go home. There are rules and regulations in place as to who can buy a business. And who can live here and who can't. Unfortunately, at the moment you do not seem to qualify to live here permanently with your idea and present skills.

As I said, if you truly want to live in Australia you are going to have to do it through proper channels, which includes either having a skill on the skilled list or having the business experience to come on a business visa.
Okay, I have a bachelor's of science in chemistry even though I've never used it. Can I teach science or math part time and get a PR?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:21 pm
Home and Happy

Okay, I have a bachelor's of science in chemistry even though I've never used it. Can I teach science or math part time and get a PR?
Its not that simple I'm afraid. You need to go to the website given earlier - www.immi.gov.au and have a look at the visa wizard there, that might help you work out how to get PR.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:25 pm
Still alive

Not unless you also have a bachelor of education to go along with it. And don't forget the required teaching experience.

Do as Polly say and look at the visa wizard for your options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.