Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi,

Can anybody give me advice on dental costs in OZ, more specifically Sydney, compared with costs in the UK.

Hubby and I are both due dental work ie fillings and a crown etc, and wondered whether to wait until we reach OZ and find a good dentist there or have it done here. The quote we have had here from our own private practice dentist is extortionate:scared: !

Thanks
WHEEZY
Hi Wheezy

Just saw that you are from our neck of the woods (well 8 months ago !)
Havent been to the dentist yet although my husband has been for a scale and polish which cost $120 if I remember correctly... so yeah a bit pricey. My youngest needs braces - told by our dentist in Sutton to have it when she is around 11 (she is 9 so we have started saving )

Good luck with the process.... seems like yesterday that we left drizzly old Midlands for our new life in Sydney... but I do miss the Streetly Balti and the Asian Grill... you guessed it, the Indian restaurants here are pretty shocking!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherie
Our daughter will definitely need orthodontic work in Aus as our dentist says she is too young to start treatment here inthe UK.
Has anyone had a child have braces in Aus... any stories/tips on how to find suitable dentist would help as this is something we will have to find when we settle down under.
Just want to get the job done without being stung for a bigger more expensive job than is necessary if you see what i mean!!
Both my kids had braces in Sydney. $4000 each and a first-class job. You get billed over the whole 3-year (average) period so don't have to find it all at once and can claim against your health fund over the three years. We paid 8 instalments of $500 spread over three years. The fee includes everything, all checkups and the endless visits you have to have for adjustments, follow-ups etc.

By the end of it, I knew the orthodontist almost as well as I knew my own husband.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nickyc
Both my kids had braces in Sydney. $4000 each and a first-class job. You get billed over the whole 3-year (average) period so don't have to find it all at once and can claim against your health fund over the three years. We paid 8 instalments of $500 spread over three years. The fee includes everything, all checkups and the endless visits you have to have for adjustments, follow-ups etc.

By the end of it, I knew the orthodontist almost as well as I knew my own husband.

thanks for that Nicky, doesnt seem so bad after all... and it sounds as though it was worth it in your case. I have very crooked teeth which were never sorted as a child so I am prepared to pay for my little one whatever the cost.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

When people have been quoted $4000 for braces was that recently? like in 2005? I mean three years is a long time inflation wise here, in 2001 my health insurance was $122 now its set to go over the $200 next month.

We have two quotes and the cheapest is $7600, which is similar to what people have quoted in other threads on orthodontics.

Mrs Dagboy
Dental van in qld operated in high school, but only until they were 16. No treatment after that.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest son started orthodontic treatment in London (free on NHS) but since coming to Melbourne, the new orthodontist has recommended that he restarts treatment here as they use different fittings. So the UK braces will be removed and Oz ones put on. If I had known this we would not have started orthodontic treatment in the UK as he now has to start over again. The quote for the work here is approx $6000.

My daughter has also just commenced orthodontic treatment here and the quote for her is $5000. I wanted to wait until older son had finished his treatment before she could start (so as to not spend so much money at once) but was advised against this, the orthdontist said it would not be in her best interests!

We took out private health insurance but this wont cover any of it as there is a waiting period and then it covers very little unless you have been paying into it for years.

I am now preparing myself to pay money to the orthodontist for a very long time, lets hope he takes installments!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:20 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi,

Can anybody give me advice on dental costs in OZ, more specifically Sydney, compared with costs in the UK.

Hubby and I are both due dental work ie fillings and a crown etc, and wondered whether to wait until we reach OZ and find a good dentist there or have it done here. The quote we have had here from our own private practice dentist is extortionate !Thanks WHEEZY
Get your teeth done in UK!!

If you aren't "Wheezy" when you go in...you certainly will be when you come out :scared: The cost of dentistry here is enough to take anyone's breath away

I had toothache a few weeks ago. Went to see dentist who advised X-ray and root canal filling for over $1,000 :scared:

I made do with X=ray..... and antibiotics...... and ran

Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Looking ahead again, What the hell would a set of false teeth cost here. :scared:

Since the orthodontic saga it crossed my mind, now I keep noticing older aussies have missing teeth or worse still just gums
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:41 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Looking ahead again, What the hell would a set of false teeth cost here. :scared:
Lose the teeth, keep the gums..... and pay someone to chew for ya.

Would be cheaper

Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:42 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What the hell would a set of false teeth cost here. :scared:
Try eBay or Estate Auctioneers.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:45 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Get your teeth done in UK!!

If you aren't "Wheezy" when you go in...you certainly will be when you come out :scared: The cost of dentistry here is enough to take anyone's breath away

I had toothache a few weeks ago. Went to see dentist who advised X-ray and root canal filling for over $1,000

I made do with X=ray..... and antibiotics...... and ran
Hey Janey, which dentist was that? Did you try the one just up on Preston Rd? Thats the one we use, he's good (for a dentist) :scared: .

Thanx jadnrich, I half expected it to stop at year 7.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:51 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Hmmm, scary.

in 2000 we needed to get a couple of minor things done to our teeth, and got charged £30 each just for the initial consultation. We decided to wait till our holiday in Perth and see our old dentist there... Dr. Gaserowski (probably not the right spelling... he`s in the Carousel area of the Albany Highway).

It turned out MUCH cheaper (what with the good exchange rate) to have our teeth sorted out in Perth (inc getting one of my wisdom teeth out... that was fun ) than if we had done it in the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Try eBay or Estate Auctioneers.
Always wondered what happened to them (the teeth) once people well er, had no further use for them :scared:
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:37 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hey Janey, which dentist was that? Did you try the one just up on Preston Rd? Thats the one we use, he's good (for a dentist)
He's the one on Randall road, next door to bakery

Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
He's the one on Randall road, next door to bakery
Try Anthony Barrett, 172 Preston Rd it's the other side of the roundabout on Preston Rd (where Wondall Rd joins) from you, ph 3396 2985.

Give him a call & ask him how much for a root canal treatment, doesnt hurt to ask!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:55 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Try Anthony Barrett, 172 Preston Rd it's the other side of the roundabout on Preston Rd (where Wondall Rd joins) from you, ph 3396 2985.

Give him a call & ask him how much for a root canal treatment, doesnt hurt to ask!
Cheers Robyne. Will try yours when I pluck up courage to go back i.e when the sodding toothache starts again

My dentist was only a small guy. I was worried I'd hurt him if he hurt me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.