Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

My son will require a brace that looks like it will cost $5k. Oh, well.

Could somebody say what health cover we should target, how much for family approx/month, best providers.

If we pay x\month what discount will we get on $5k?

Trying to get a feel for my net cost.

Is it the norm to get medical insurance even if you are not expecting a big 'braces' bill.

We arrive next month and he will need them in two years.

Thanks
Ian
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I got dental treatment in Asia on route to Oz. Facilities where better than UK. $5 for check up and polish. $10 for an extraction. I am interested to find out what they charge for a brace. Oz prices seem like a rip off.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We all went to the dentist last month here are our bills. We have private healthcare with extras so we get quite a lot of money off of the charges as you can see. We have a card that they swipe and the money is automatically deducded so we just pay the gap amount, which means we don't have to wait to claim the money back etc.

Child 1(8yr): exam $20, plaque/stain removal $40, HEALTH REFUND of $45 so gap payment of $15

Child 2(14yr): exam $2o, de-scale and clean $72, HEALTH REFUND $58, so paid $34

Child 3 ( 5yr): Exam $20 HEALTH REFUND $ 20 so paid $0

Adult:Exam $30, de-scale and clean $72, HEALTH REFUND $58, paid $44.

Adult:Exam $30, de-scale and clean $72, x-ray $30, x-ray $30 Health claim $172 , paid $64

We paid $157 for the 5 of us, if we had no health insurance it would have cost $446!!!! So if we go twice a year we save $600 off of our payments just on normal dental, that is without having major works done.

Hubby needs a crown which is priced at $800, we get $500 off of the price so will pay $300.

If you have a family I would consider health insurance as a back up. We can also get alternative therapies etc and claim a lot back. i.e had a massage last week was $55 claimed $35 back.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are with Manchester Unity, they are a non-profit company. Go to www.manchesterunity.com.au for a quote. We have the Healthclub plan and it costs around $167 per month for 5 of us.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:58 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Get your teeth done in UK!!

If you aren't "Wheezy" when you go in...you certainly will be when you come out :scared: The cost of dentistry here is enough to take anyone's breath away

I had toothache a few weeks ago. Went to see dentist who advised X-ray and root canal filling for over $1,000 :scared:

I made do with X=ray..... and antibiotics...... and ran
One thousand dollars for root canal work , how is an average
Aussie ment to afford that? Just goes to show that it is the little, unexpected things in life that trip up the pommie migrant when it comes to cost of living.

I am glad that I didnt require any dental tre3atment in Australia. I just had a root canal filling done here in blighty earlier this month, the cost was £76.04. $1000 is like paying £400 (or more like £500-£600 if earning local wages) :scared:

Rip off Oz strikes again!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:03 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Our school dentristry is not in a van thank god :scared: However it stops here in Our district at year 6. The kids get one visit per year and all treatments required from that visit for $28. Orthadontics are not covered.

Personally we, at the moment, don't feel that private health is the way to go (for us in our circumstances) However what we have done is open another ING account and we are saving a seperate set amount each month should anything unexpected crop up. At the moment it works for us
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:10 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by eatstatic
One thousand dollars for root canal work , how is an average
Aussie ment to afford that? Just goes to show that it is the little, unexpected things in life that trip up the pommie migrant when it comes to cost of living.

I am glad that I didnt require any dental tre3atment in Australia. I just had a root canal filling done here in blighty earlier this month, the cost was £76.04. $1000 is like paying £400 (or more like £500-£600 if earning local wages) :scared:

Rip off Oz strikes again!
Ahh Daz....wondered when you'd crop up

It's swings and roundabouts here. Some things are less expensive, some more. To be fair I haven't shopped around either and as MrsDagboy suggested, there may be less expensive dentists out there.

BTW: I paid £230 in the UK about 2 years ago for the same thing.... and I had to wait a month for the prevelidge

The other thing to bear in mind. I had an X-ray here. First time that's happend as with my UK canal filling there was no X-ray for whatever reason

And finally, to put an even balance on this, yes it was expensive but it was a Saturday morning and less than 24hrs notice. Now THAT's what I call service

so....it seems it's more expensive in Aus..... but they were more thorough and the service was quick.

My father can't even GET a dentist in UK!! :scared:

Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:37 am
blossom

It's swings and roundabouts here. Some things are less expensive, some more. To be fair I haven't shopped around either and as MrsDagboy suggested, there may be less expensive dentists out there.

BTW: I paid £230 in the UK about 2 years ago for the same thing.... and I had to wait a month for the prevelidge

The other thing to bear in mind. I had an X-ray here. First time that's happend as with my UK canal filling there was no X-ray for whatever reason

And finally, to put an even balance on this, yes it was expensive but it was a Saturday morning and less than 24hrs notice. Now THAT's what I call service

so....it seems it's more expensive in Aus..... but they were more thorough and the service was quick.

Blossoms daughter here!

I have to say that the dental services in Australia are excellent but yes you do pay for it! Fortunatley my Mum was a government employee in Oz so we had excellent health cover and treatment.

I leave for oz in 6 weeks but have managed to get in a dentist here though its taken 2 years and I've gone privately as there isnt a hope in hell in getting on the NHS dental register. I had a tooth pulled out which was agony as the tooth wouldnt numb or the dentist had watered down the 'stuff' too much to save money! and i have to go back for clean and scale plus 5 small fillings at a grand total of £350 all up... not too bad a suppose!

Don't forget there are waiting periods on health cover so getting covered sooner rather than later is prob best!

Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:44 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

I only state as I see Pheonix.

I had a root canal filling, with X ray, 3 as a matter of fact, guess the dentist likes to have precision of detail. It took just over an hour in all and only cost me £76.04.

I also had the oppurtunity to chat to the very attractive and intelligent dental nurse. She remarked that my wife (an Aussie) had been in recently and she asked if I had been/am thinking of going. I told her I had been twice, once on holiday, once to live and that I sort of liked the holiday part, but living their was not for me. As it turned out she had also been on a WHV and had relatives in Adelaide. Funny thing was she agreed with me that Oz is not all it is cracked up to be by starry eyed pom wannabees. She said something like "Its OK if all you want out of life is to be a surf bum/ go to BBQs etc, but I found it boring and samey after a month".

I had to laugh, it is nice to see that all pommies are not brainwashed by the Utopian socirty of Godzone.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:46 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by blossom
Blossoms daughter here!

I have to say that the dental services in Australia are excellent but yes you do pay for it! Fortunatley my Mum was a government employee in Oz so we had excellent health cover and treatment.

I leave for oz in 6 weeks but have managed to get in a dentist here though its taken 2 years and I've gone privately as there isnt a hope in hell in getting on the NHS dental register. I had a tooth pulled out which was agony as the tooth wouldnt numb or the dentist had watered down the 'stuff' too much to save money! and i have to go back for clean and scale plus 5 small fillings at a grand total of £350 all up... not too bad a suppose!

Don't forget there are waiting periods on health cover so getting covered sooner rather than later is prob best!
Thanks for that Blossoms daughter

When you say there are waiting periods on health cover, do you mean here in Aus?

As an aside, what's the weather like in Grimsby at the mo? [we're originally from upt North ] Is it still snowing?

Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:52 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by eatstatic
I only state as I see Pheonix.

I had a root canal filling, with X ray, 3 as a matter of fact, guess the dentist likes to have precision of detail. It took just over an hour in all and only cost me £76.04.

I also had the oppurtunity to chat to the very attractive and intelligent dental nurse. She remarked that my wife (an Aussie) had been in recently and she asked if I had been/am thinking of going. I told her I had been twice, once on holiday, once to live and that I sort of liked the holiday part, but living their was not for me. As it turned out she had also been on a WHV and had relatives in Adelaide. Funny thing was she agreed with me that Oz is not all it is cracked up to be by starry eyed pom wannabees. She said something like "Its OK if all you want out of life is to be a surf bum/ go to BBQs etc, but I found it boring and samey after a month".

I had to laugh, it is nice to see that all pommies are not brainwashed by the Utopian socirty of Godzone.
Seems UK is where your heart is Daz. Glad you are happy there but conversley it's not for everyone. And speaking for myself and my family.....it's certainly not our cuppa tea. We prefefer Godzone....for all it's good and not so good bits

Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:54 am
blossom

Thanks for that Blossoms daughter

When you say there are waiting periods on health cover, do you mean here in Aus?

As an aside, what's the weather like in Grimsby at the mo? [we're originally from upt North ] Is it still snowing?
hi yeah i mean in oz... I was going to wait to get my teeth done out there because i know they'd make a better job of it! But when ii looked at the waiting periods (ie. before you can claim) for most of the healthcare insurers it was just too long as i have had chronic tooth ache for ages.

well it rained yesterday so washed all the snow away - rumour has it the snow is to return with avengence on sunday!!!! market rasen way is still thick under snow though!

I have to go to the otherside of the humber tonight to finish cleaning my rental house so hopefully i wont get snowed in there over the weekend! Whereabouts are you phoenix?

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:00 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by blossom
hi yeah i mean in oz... I was going to wait to get my teeth done out there because i know they'd make a better job of it! But when ii looked at the waiting periods (ie. before you can claim) for most of the healthcare insurers it was just too long as i have had chronic tooth ache for ages.

well it rained yesterday so washed all the snow away - rumour has it the snow is to return with avengence on sunday!!!! market rasen way is still thick under snow though!

I have to go to the otherside of the humber tonight to finish cleaning my rental house so hopefully i wont get snowed in there over the weekend! Whereabouts are you phoenix?
Ahhh I see, yep gotcha. I think most healthcare places require a minimum of 6 months subscriptions before you recieve any benefits.

Hope you manage to sort the rental place out without getting snowed in. I guess you're due out here soon then?

We're in the Bayside area of Brisbane. No snow here...thank god

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We prefefer Godzone....for all it's good and not so good bits
Didn't know you were in South Africa.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:06 am
blossom

Ahhh I see, yep gotcha. I think most healthcare places require a minimum of 6 months subscriptions before you recieve any benefits.

Hope you manage to sort the rental place out without getting snowed in. I guess you're due out here soon then?

We're in the Bayside area of Brisbane. No snow here...thank god
I'm supposed to be leaving here end of march and staying at a friends place at gympie until i get a rental place sorted out around the Buderim area (i think LOL) but i have a business and pony to sell here first before i can leave! So I'm not getting too excited yet... At least the teeth will be sorted out by then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.