Default Re: Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Didn't know you were in South Africa.
Lol....Godzone is wherever your heart is m8

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:13 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by blossom
... At least the teeth will be sorted out by then!
Yours or the pony's

Good luck....wont be long before you're on that plane and out here

Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Originally Posted by queenie
My last dental bill:
$300 check up inc x-rays
and 2 extra visits of $300 and $400 to take out UK crown and replace it with a pin filling. Crown quoted as $1400.
This dentist was quite expensive even for here, but recommended hence the visit. Try get it all done before you come.
How are the plans coming along?

Queenie
Hi Queenie

Thanks for the info, it sure does look expensive to keep hold of your own teeth down under! How about kids? do you have to pay for their treatment also?

Things here are taking longer than anticipated, mainly due to the inconsiderate house buyers. They put an offer on our place in December for £5k less than the asking price. We accepted on the priviso it would be a quick sale. They agreed and said they wanted in be in at the end of Jan! Great we thought, get back from Oz mid Jan, start packing and get back their asap. No such luck, they have dragged their heels so much its unbelieveable. We are now onto our 3rd 'pencilled in' date for exchange (2nd March) and completion (9th March) I have had to cancel PSS twice, they were due out to ship our stuff on Tuesday and have been great with all the messing about, they are now due on Tuesday 8th March. Fingers crossed it will actually happen this time!! Then there was a hiccup with the kids visas. The doctor acidently (GRRRR!!) forgot to fill in his name and surgery address!! So visa people wouldn't process them. Hopefully this is all sorted and expect them via e-mail on Monday. More fingers crossed. (Rapidly running out of fingers to cross!).

Its a real shame about missing the flight out of the UK on the 7th March, it will be Kevin's birthday and seemed really appropriate to begin our new life on that date. Never mind, I keep telling him 'just think this time next year ....'

Hope things are well with you and have been reading with interest that there may be a girlie Sydney night out soon. Hopefully I'll make it, thou' it may mean coming straight from the airport and leaving Kev and kids to unpack without me!! What a shame!!

WHEEZY
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

Originally Posted by rumbletum
Hi Wheezy

Just saw that you are from our neck of the woods (well 8 months ago !)
Havent been to the dentist yet although my husband has been for a scale and polish which cost $120 if I remember correctly... so yeah a bit pricey. My youngest needs braces - told by our dentist in Sutton to have it when she is around 11 (she is 9 so we have started saving )

Good luck with the process.... seems like yesterday that we left drizzly old Midlands for our new life in Sydney... but I do miss the Streetly Balti and the Asian Grill... you guessed it, the Indian restaurants here are pretty shocking!

Hi Heather,

How's Oz compare with Sutton? or shouldn't I ask!!! We went to Shimla's in Mere Green on Saturday night and had a fab meal! Please don't tell me now that I wont be able to get a great curry on a Saturday night

Where abouts were you?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich
In QLd the state schools have a dental van once a year, its basics, fillings and rip em outs. Iis NOT orthodontics, braces will cost around $10,000.

The dental vans dont mess about, if the kids fussy or whiney they advise you to take straight to private dentist who will have more time to deal with it. My youngest refuses to go near the van.

Private dental plans cover a % of treatment, strict limits apply to what and how much you can claim.

Children dont get free prescriptions either.
Can't help thinking the Dental Van sounds a bit like that horrible bit in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where the scary man tries to entice the kids into the back of his cage:scared: 'Chiiilllldrreen'

Sorry ignore my question re: cost of kids treatment. Didn't read Corkers question before replying to Queenie.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi Heather,

How's Oz compare with Sutton? or shouldn't I ask!!! We went to Shimla's in Mere Green on Saturday night and had a fab meal! Please don't tell me now that I wont be able to get a great curry on a Saturday night

Where abouts were you?
Hi Wheezy

We were in Streetly since 1990. Had a happy life there but wanted to try soemthing different. Also have been to Shimla's in Mere Green (used to go to dentist above it, getting back to dentist talk!)
You might get a great curry on a Saturday night, just not around here, I'm afraid! I think there are a few ok ones around, do a search on the forum.. ha ha, this place is great for finding things out

PS.. we also used PSS and they were brill. We too had to cancel twice and they were great and said they were used to it and not to worry!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Dental Costs In Oz Compared With Uk

Originally Posted by WHEEZY
Hi,

Can anybody give me advice on dental costs in OZ, more specifically Sydney, compared with costs in the UK.

Hubby and I are both due dental work ie fillings and a crown etc, and wondered whether to wait until we reach OZ and find a good dentist there or have it done here. The quote we have had here from our own private practice dentist is extortionate:scared: !

Thanks
WHEEZY
As a UK dentist currently in the process of emigrating to Australia I can tell you that Australian prices are equivalent to the higher end of the private scale over here.The standard of dentistry is similar to that in the UK but there is no subsidised NHS option so routine fillings etc are far more expensive than the NHS over here. If you can get an NHS dentist over here you will save a fair bit of cash but it's always worth paying more for crowns etc if you can, as the work will be sent to a decent lab as opposed to the cheapest possible one.

On a differrent subject does anyone Know how long it normally takes for the immigration to go through after the medical, as we've been called for a medical which I presumed was towards the end of the application but the application only went in 6 weeks ago.

Cheers