Wikiposts

Dark at 7 p.m.

Old May 24th 2007, 9:14 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dark at 7 p.m.

Well that's the thing TL, you're post wasn't clear. Now refresh my memory, where was the abuse in that one thread.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 24th 2007 at 10:28 pm. Reason: Quote removed
Old May 24th 2007, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
TV, TV, TV and TV. Then we watch some dreary soap full of people stabbing each other on the TV, before enjoying a gameshow on the TV. After we watch some more TV and some people on the TV watching TV, we then watch some more stuff on the TV, and then we settle down to a night in front of the TV.

And they all talk so you can't hear a word they say.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

i only got a c in geography o level......
Old May 25th 2007, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

TV, TV, TV and TV. Then we watch some dreary soap full of people stabbing each other on the TV, before enjoying a gameshow on the TV. After we watch some more TV and some people on the TV watching TV, we then watch some more stuff on the TV, and then we settle down to a night in front of the TV.
That's your choice. Plenty of other things you could be doing.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
That's your choice. Plenty of other things you could be doing.
Perhaps making a model of the Titanic out of matchsticks. Total darkness and freezing cold limits activities if you enjoy being outside. I watch less than (around) 6 hours of TV a week. I was talking about the great unwashed. You know who you are.

As for there being no need for my earlier comment, I would make a case that being stalked and sniped at by posters is need enough. I don't follow posters round baiting them and I don't appreciate them doing the same to me.

Last edited by Tableland; May 25th 2007 at 8:11 am.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point

dont compare the Uk to OZ and youll be fine with it getting dark early in QLD. And as there is electricity in oz (until the water runs dry anyway!), we can switch garden lights on, and with a patio heater, sit out in the winter in the garden and have a bbq!

friends and family have asked me what it is like getting dark so early in summer - "you cant do anything" they say

what do people do after working all day and getting home at 6pm in the UK, from my experience sit inside and watch tv, or cut the grass!
Old May 25th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

We have moved to the Gold Coast only 3 weeks ago from Tassie via a 6 month stint in Sydney....long story.

In Tassie in Summer it stays daylight until around 8.30 - 9pm! Looking at the link for Australia wide sunrise/sunset times it seems it will be dark here on the Gold Coast at around 7pm in Summer!! That will be different! Qld dont have daylight savings so thats part of the reason why. Guess we will get used to it!! lol
Old May 25th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

what do people do after working all day and getting home at 6pm in the UK, from my experience sit inside and watch tv, or cut the grass!
Alot of people go out and play sport, go for walks, cycling and many other activities.

As someone who is shortly emigrating to Brisbane and has been out there during the height of summer I find it very strange that for a country that prides itself on promoting the outdoor life and activities that it is dark in the Brisbane region by 7pm whilst light at just after 4am.
I know I am going to find this aspect very difficult, but I suppose that most sporting venues do have floodlighting. I play bowls and do know that all the clubs I have visited have floodlighting so it is possible to play in the evenings and I realise that the season will be much longer due to the better weather.

I do know that folk get up earlier and generally go to bed earlier to get the most out of the available daylight but why not follow the rest of the country and adopt daylight saving?
Hopefully it will come soon!
Old May 25th 2007, 1:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackhigh

I do know that folk get up earlier and generally go to bed earlier to get the most out of the available daylight but why not follow the rest of the country and adopt daylight saving?
Hopefully it will come soon!
A well worn topic - do sa search on it and you'll find an abundance of discussions. Main official (!!!) reasons are that the cows and chikcens will be confused leading to food shortages, the furniture will fade with the extra hour of daylight, and an extra hour of sunlight will give everyone skin cancer.......
Old May 25th 2007, 7:22 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sandra, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx your summary of my perfectly clear post is completely accurate. As you know, Australia is situated between approximately 10 degrees and 43 degrees south of the equator, which means it has much less extremes of light/dark than the UK. Nova Scotia is much closer to the equator than the UK by the way - if it were in Europe it would be at the level of northern Italy.

If Australia were situated in the northern hemisphere it would sit roughly from northern Spain to the Ivory Coast, or Boston to Venezuela. For this reason its hours of twilight and extremes of light and dark are affected by the angle of the sunset to the slope of the Earth's horizon as viewed by us here on Earth. Basically, the further south or north we go, the sun stays "closer" to our horizon after sunset and this what produces a long twilight.

Best regards,

T.
Wally I am - when I wrote Nova Scotia! Don't know where my brains are, I was trying to think about some more northerly parts of Canada.

...and believe it or not I have an A Level in Geography.

I knew all about the darker nights before moving here - and understand the concept of the same number of daylight hours just a change in the distribution of them. Still have the silly conversations with folks back in the UK when they phone in the evenings asking me if I am outside enjoying the sunshine!! Still seem confused when I say why it is 7.00 and pitch black.

Cheers Sandra
Old May 25th 2007, 10:14 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott115
Is it true that it gets dark at 7 p.m. each night in Oz?

Does this vary state to state and season to season? If so, what time does it get dark in Queensland?

How do Oz people spend their evenings?????
Dark early nights was one of the things we struggled with when we first arrived. We're ok with it now (14 months on) but it was def a shock when we first arrived.
Old May 26th 2007, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

dark early nights = more time for me to be in bed with a good book
Old May 26th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Queenslanders do not like change hence no daylight saving. Probably the same reason that supermarkets are like supermarkets in the UK circa 1977.

It would be so much nicer here if there was 2 hours daylight saving in the summer. Sunrise at 6:30am and sunset at 9pm would be great. Much more time to go to the beach and have decent family time.
Old May 26th 2007, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Queenslanders do not like change hence no daylight saving. Probably the same reason that supermarkets are like supermarkets in the UK circa 1977.

It would be so much nicer here if there was 2 hours daylight saving in the summer. Sunrise at 6:30am and sunset at 9pm would be great. Much more time to go to the beach and have decent family time.
Trouble is with misguided politicians telling people rubbish like the reasons I put in my post above, I can't see it happening
Old May 26th 2007, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

early to bed early to rise makes jack healthy, wealthy and wise....

interesting social control, is it experimental ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.