Wikiposts

Dark at 7 p.m.

Old May 24th 2007, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark at 7 p.m.

In my Top 5 reasons to come to Melbourne is reasonably long summer nights - something like 9pm ish.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:53 am
Just Joined

scott115 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
In my Top 5 reasons to come to Melbourne is reasonably long summer nights - something like 9pm ish.
This begs the question, what are the other 5?

If anyone would like to give 5 reasons to go to Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast this too would be useful????
Old May 24th 2007, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott115
This begs the question, what are the other 5?

If anyone would like to give 5 reasons to go to Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast this too would be useful????
Now you've got me.

i) weather (yes!)
ii) ''culture''
iii) length of summer days
iv) balance
v) entertainment

It's FUN. There is everything you need, and all you'd want. There is a quiet, sometimes not so quiet confidence here which is unique, actually based on something. To resurrect old city rivalries, most Sydneysiders really don't seem to believe that Melbourne is the best place to live. ;-) And it really doesn't bother us when they try to rub our noses in it....(!)

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; May 24th 2007 at 1:15 am.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
If you want late evenings you need to move to either of the poles. That way you get 24 hour sunshine in summer. You just have to put up with 24 hour darkness in winter.

I'm afraid that if you want warm weather you've got to say bye bye to day light at 10pm. The closer to the equator you are the more 'even' sunset/sunrise times become. Try Singapore - pretty damn close to the equator and the lights go out at 6pm every night of the year...

Cheers,

Graham

Light = get up

Dark = go to bed

By my kids reckoning I will be getting little darlings into bed a lot earlier in Australia!

HOOOOOORAH
Old May 24th 2007, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scott115
So how do you fill your evenings?
On BE of course
Old May 24th 2007, 3:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Light = get up

Dark = go to bed

By my kids reckoning I will be getting little darlings into bed a lot earlier in Australia!

HOOOOOORAH
The down side is that they'll be getting up earlier
Old May 24th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stitch
We were lucky as the connections were already here. You could ask them for permission. Some say yes.

Cheers

Ginny
you could always have the dish mounted on a pole in the garden instead of being fixed to the wall. Only a small hole required for cable .
Johnnyyt
Old May 24th 2007, 11:46 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Winter sports do not get bothered by the dark nights at 5.15 in Sydney.

The sports fields around us are all floodlit and alot of training goes on for Football, hockey, softball etc.

In fact because the days are less hot I would say all round more activity happens in the winter months you just move your timetable on weekends to be able to do things in the nice crisp daylight hours and then buy outdoor patio heaters and loads of bug candles and entertain with a jumper on.

I actually enjoy the winter months more because you can dog walk all day not just first thing and after then sun is less hot. Everything in winter takes less energy for me and I feel more alive and awake. Weekday evenings are homework, making dinner, DVDs and catching up on work at times.

I hated the dark nights for the first winter five months was horrid but you do get used to it and learn to like daylight savings which means Sydney can be light to 8.30ish summer nights.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You can either choose somewhere which has long summer evenings or has a hot summer. Both are defined by proximity to the equator, closer equals hotter and shorter evenings; further away equals cooler and longer evenings (plus shorter ones in the winter).

The only other impact is whether or not the location applies Daylight Savings. QLD does not so the very latest darkness occurs in summer at just before 7PM. It is, however, bright and sunny in QLD at 4:30am.

As stated elsewhere, proximity to the equator also determines how long dusk is. In QLD it goes light, light, light, DARK, with no dusk to speak of. Also in QLD the mossies are out biting about one hour before sunset so many would not be outdoors after 6PM.

Most QLDers seem to go to bed by about 9PM, you have to if the sun wakes you up at 4:30am.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:06 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tableland
Nowhere is as extreme as the UK in terms of light summers and dark winters.
Denmark or Norway?
Old May 24th 2007, 12:08 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The down side is that they'll be getting up earlier
Or perhaps not in this household. 9 years going on 15.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tassie is the closest you'll get in Aus -fairly long summer evenings there.
Old May 24th 2007, 3:00 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Denmark or Norway?
I think when Table land wrote the statement they meant no where in Australia has the extremes of the UK light summer nights or dark evenings. Thats how I read it because of course you have Iceland etc Nova Scotia etc that all do

New Zealand is an option for lighter summer nights - but not as warm
Old May 24th 2007, 3:48 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
buy outdoor patio heaters and loads of bug candles and entertain with a jumper on.
Essentials. Just in case anyone gets the impression you can sit around in your swimmers outside during winter in the evening. Gets cold at night And winter doesn't stop the mozzies (in my case anyway).
Old May 24th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
I think when Table land wrote the statement they meant no where in Australia has the extremes of the UK light summer nights or dark evenings. Thats how I read it because of course you have Iceland etc Nova Scotia etc that all do

New Zealand is an option for lighter summer nights - but not as warm
Hi Sandra, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx your summary of my perfectly clear post is completely accurate. As you know, Australia is situated between approximately 10 degrees and 43 degrees south of the equator, which means it has much less extremes of light/dark than the UK. Nova Scotia is much closer to the equator than the UK by the way - if it were in Europe it would be at the level of northern Italy.

If Australia were situated in the northern hemisphere it would sit roughly from northern Spain to the Ivory Coast, or Boston to Venezuela. For this reason its hours of twilight and extremes of light and dark are affected by the angle of the sunset to the slope of the Earth's horizon as viewed by us here on Earth. Basically, the further south or north we go, the sun stays "closer" to our horizon after sunset and this what produces a long twilight.

Best regards,

T.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 24th 2007 at 10:28 pm. Reason: XXXXx represents edited post. No need for that kind of comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.