Wikiposts

Dark at 7 p.m.

Old May 23rd 2007, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

scott115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dark at 7 p.m.

Is it true that it gets dark at 7 p.m. each night in Oz?

Does this vary state to state and season to season? If so, what time does it get dark in Queensland?

How do Oz people spend their evenings?????
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark at 7 p.m.

Originally Posted by scott115

Does this vary state to state and season to season? If so, what time does it get dark in Queensland?

Brisbane was dark tonight by 5.15.........if you're out after 7pm you turn into a werewolf
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Brisbane was dark tonight by 5.15.........if you're out after 7pm you turn into a werewolf

It's a pumpkin here in SA

Seriously, it does get dark earlier in the winter than it does in the summer. There isn't long drawn out nights until 10pm, but then on the plus side it's not dark at 3pm either.

There's not really a twilight as such either. It's light on minute then dark the next, like someones turned the light off.

Australia is closer to the equator than the UK, so it figures that the day's are more even throughout the year.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:31 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Seriously, it does get dark earlier in the winter than it does in the summer.
Seriously!? I expect night follows day too? Or is it the other way round in the southern hemisphere?

Karl
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is a continent (please no Australasia lectures, you know what I mean) and is the world's sixth biggest country. Sunrise & sunset times vary enormously depending upon location and time of year. Nowhere is as extreme as the UK in terms of light summers and dark winters. The furthest Australian point from the equator is Tasmania, which would be somewhere round northern Spain if it were in the northern hemisphere, if this helps you work it out.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:35 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

In the summer, with daylight savings here in WA, you are looking at it going dark around 9, but in the winter which begins on June 1st it is light to 5 ish, so non of those dreary 3 o'clock shutdowns you get in the UK in the winter........How do UK people spend their evenings in the winter, dont forget it is still relatively mild here too, for example I have been out fishing on a boat this morning in just a t-shirt, you wouldnt be doing that in the UK in the last week of autumn.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karl & Ann
Seriously!? I expect night follows day too? Or is it the other way round in the southern hemisphere?

Karl

No day follows night here
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
How do UK people spend their evenings in the winter
TV, TV, TV and TV. Then we watch some dreary soap full of people stabbing each other on the TV, before enjoying a gameshow on the TV. After we watch some more TV and some people on the TV watching TV, we then watch some more stuff on the TV, and then we settle down to a night in front of the TV.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
In the summer, with daylight savings here in WA, you are looking at it going dark around 9, but in the winter which begins on June 1st it is light to 5 ish, so non of those dreary 3 o'clock shutdowns you get in the UK in the winter........How do UK people spend their evenings in the winter, dont forget it is still relatively mild here too, for example I have been out fishing on a boat this morning in just a t-shirt, you wouldnt be doing that in the UK in the last week of autumn.
In the UK we spend out Winter evenings watching tv and in my case football. Everyone always says that Ozzies never watch tv and even so, the free telly is allegedly c**p. You hear so much about the outdoor lifestyle but I can't see how this can be the case if it's dark when you get back from work anyway.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:50 pm
Pasta Fari

Karl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud ofKarl & Ann has much to be proud of

No day follows night here
I'm in no position to take the pee to be honest. Remember trying to meet up with my brother in Perth CBD. We were on foot, and I had rough directions and we needed to head north. Used the sun to navigate.

Every time I double checked with the map, we were getting further away from the rendezvous. Eventually I realised that having the sun behind me meant I was heading south...

I got a B in Geography, so I blame it on jetlag

Karl
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:58 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a pumpkin here in SA

Seriously, it does get dark earlier in the winter than it does in the summer. There isn't long drawn out nights until 10pm, but then on the plus side it's not dark at 3pm either.

There's not really a twilight as such either. It's light on minute then dark the next, like someones turned the light off.

Australia is closer to the equator than the UK, so it figures that the day's are more even throughout the year.
Does it vary from State to state Wendy. When we were in Perth in Febraury it went dark about 8 (ish )..........We still sat out everynight with the outside lanterns on and the candles burning.......Bliss.

Luckly we are not ones for Tv's in the Uk so i suppose we wont be bothered too much whether the Tv is crap anyway.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:00 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK we spend out Winter evenings watching tv and in my case football. Everyone always says that Ozzies never watch tv and even so, the free telly is allegedly c**p. You hear so much about the outdoor lifestyle but I can't see how this can be the case if it's dark when you get back from work anyway.
We've got Foxtel!!!!

Cheers

Ginny
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:07 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

People here tend to start work earlier and finish earlier, thats one way, plus many people have friends round, we do have outdoor lighting here you know! Many of the social gatherings we go to are often held outside, you dont need daylight to do that. Another thing here is functions are rarely spolied by the rain, many times in the UK we had been invited to bbqs only to spend them indoors because it was pishing down.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tableland
TV, TV, TV and TV. Then we watch some dreary soap full of people stabbing each other on the TV, before enjoying a gameshow on the TV. After we watch some more TV and some people on the TV watching TV, we then watch some more stuff on the TV, and then we settle down to a night in front of the TV.

So what do you think we do here every week night mmmm? The kids need to go to bed for school the next day, we are both knackered from work etc....so, we watch T.V.

Same sh*t...different bucket!
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Ah the genius of outdoor lighting. Wonders never cease.

Apparently, in order to watch the English footy I will need to get foxtel. I'll be renting for probs the first year until I am settled, is it possible to get foxtel if you're in rented accommodation. I know that over here alot of landlords won't allow you to get Sky as it requires fitting the dish and cables etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.