Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Current shipping quotes ??

Current shipping quotes ??

Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current shipping quotes ??

My updated quotes for a 20 footer from London to Canberra including a crate inside for my motorbike are £4200 with Coles and £4620 with John Mason
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
My updated quotes for a 20 footer from London to Canberra including a crate inside for my motorbike are £4200 with Coles and £4620 with John Mason

Wonder why JM so expensixe for a 20ft.

Our quote from them is £4025 + £100 on the extras list.

Is it the bike & crate being the difference?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Wonder why JM so expensixe for a 20ft.

Our quote from them is £4025 + £100 on the extras list.

Is it the bike & crate being the difference?
I think the crate is around £250 extra and the cost is higher to transport the container inland to Canberra.

We had a quote from Pickfords last year and it was well over £5000 so I've not even bothered updating my quote with them. Will try another company and see about playing all three companies off against eachother.

Coles have been eager in that they've regularly been telephoning me back for an update of our plans.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

It seems that we need a 40 foot container, and we were quoted £8500 from one company, and another told us not to expect much change from £10,000

Compared to us all the quotes mentioned on here seem very reasonable.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I think the crate is around £250 extra and the cost is higher to transport the container inland to Canberra.

We had a quote from Pickfords last year and it was well over £5000 so I've not even bothered updating my quote with them. Will try another company and see about playing all three companies off against eachother.

Coles have been eager in that they've regularly been telephoning me back for an update of our plans.

Yeah I suppose that must account for it.

We've still got to do insurance and then it's all sorted. Shipping date is booked now.

Just need to organise the car shipping RoRo separately.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
It seems that we need a 40 foot container, and we were quoted £8500 from one company, and another told us not to expect much change from £10,000

Compared to us all the quotes mentioned on here seem very reasonable.
It shouldn't cost anywhere near that. Where are you shipping from and to?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:34 am
Banned

Yeah I suppose that must account for it.

We've still got to do insurance and then it's all sorted. Shipping date is booked now.

Just need to organise the car shipping RoRo separately.
A lot of work to do, huh. 'Can't wait until everything's done and we're finally on the way to the airport with only our suitcases to worry about
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

It shouldn't cost anywhere near that. Where are you shipping from and to?
That's including insurance. It might be more expensive because we are shipping from north Scotland I suppose, but we're not exactly on the Orkney Islands (or any island) so I don't know why it is so much dearer than everybody else's quotes. I'm starting to wonder if we would be cheaper leaving everything behind though and buying new in Australia!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's including insurance. It might be more expensive because we are shipping from north Scotland I suppose, but we're not exactly on the Orkney Islands (or any island) so I don't know why it is so much dearer than everybody else's quotes. I'm starting to wonder if we would be cheaper leaving everything behind though and buying new in Australia!

Replacing a 40 ft container worth of goods in Australia will be astronomical compared to £8k methinks.

We did some online browsing at Oz prices to replace some of our stuff and it was cheaper to ship it.

Although now that we are renting out our house we are leaving washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and large fridge freezer which we will have to replace in oz.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:04 pm
Banned

It must be to do with the distance to the port. But still, it shouldn't be that expensive.

We've been flip flopping with the idea of buying new as well. The thing is we have a lot of irreplaceable stuff. And having gone through one emigration a generation ago with my parents who got rid of everything and started fresh (something which they later regretted), we've decided to go ahead and ship just about everything. But in your case you can get a lot of decent furniture, etc for £10k. Is packing just your non-furniture stuff into "tea-chests" and dropping it off at a container-port using a hire van (through an agent) perhaps an option for you?

Last edited by paulry; Jul 16th 2010 at 12:07 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:05 pm
Banned

Replacing a 40 ft container worth of goods in Australia will be astronomical compared to £8k methinks.

We did some online browsing at Oz prices to replace some of our stuff and it was cheaper to ship it.

Although now that we are renting out our house we are leaving washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and large fridge freezer which we will have to replace in oz.
Same here. Tempted to buy new ones for us to take with.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

It must be to do with the distance to the port. But still, it shouldn't be that expensive.

We've been flip flopping with the idea of buying new as well. The thing is we have a lot of irreplaceable stuff. And having gone through one emigration a generation ago with my parents who got rid of everything and started fresh (something which they later regretted), we've decided to go ahead and ship just about everything. But in your case you can get a lot of decent furniture, etc for £10k. Is packing just your non-furniture stuff into "tea-chests" and dropping it off at a container-port using a hire van (through an agent) perhaps an option for you?
Hmmmm, we had thought about this but I suppose we would still be a lot cheaper paying the £10,000 than starting from scratch in Australia considering three bedroomed house, toys, tv's, computer, washing machine, dryer, fridge etc etc.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Anyone got any more prices for a shared 20ft container? Looked on a few other threads and some wildly differings costs with some stating £1600 for half a container and another was £3000.

We were going to leave the house to be rented as furnished but have been told we would find a tenant far quicker by doing it unfurnished so will ship half our house and sell/dump the rest.

So a couple of TVs, tv stand, coffee table, nest of tables, 1 bed & mattress, 1 table & 4 chairs, side table, washerdryer, 2 bikes then about 10-12 boxes. Does that roughly sound like it could fit into half a container?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Anyone got any more prices for a shared 20ft container? Looked on a few other threads and some wildly differings costs with some stating £1600 for half a container and another was £3000.

We were going to leave the house to be rented as furnished but have been told we would find a tenant far quicker by doing it unfurnished so will ship half our house and sell/dump the rest.

So a couple of TVs, tv stand, coffee table, nest of tables, 1 bed & mattress, 1 table & 4 chairs, side table, washerdryer, 2 bikes then about 10-12 boxes. Does that roughly sound like it could fit into half a container?
Bear in mind the thread is a few months old so prices may have changed
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steen1976

Easily.

Think of a our 3/4 bed semi, family of four with music room (drums, piano, guitars etc...), plus shed stuff (power tools etc...) all fitted into a 20ft for about £3k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.