Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crabtree First instalment.

Crabtree First instalment.

Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:19 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whisky
KARAWARA - Thought it was you. Where are you going to in mid January? Do you actually live in Perth now or out of Perth?
Good luck with your move.
Yes we are currently living in East Perth after living in West and South Perth. We have abandoned hope of getting suitable employment in Perth and have bought a campervan. We go East mid Jan, across the Nullabor and eventually up the East Coast. Haven't decided what we are going to do when we get there.

Time will tell.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Got up early next morning and went to TREE TOPS WALK.

I have been here before. I hate heights but did the walk last time so thought that a second time would be a piece of cake. The trouble is - last time I didn't know what I was in for - this time I did. Panic wasn't the word. I could feel myself hyperventilating and had to tell myself to stop otherwise I would be in a right state. It wouldn't be so bad if the walkway was solid, but it sways on wires as you walk along it, and there was a load of School kids coming up behind us who thought that it was great to make it bounce and sway.
My poor husband had never been there before, so we took him to show him the fantastic sizes of the trees. Not that he saw a lot as I just walked so fast, hanging on the sides like superglue.
This is a fantastic walk for those that are alright with heights, but it is not for the weak and sickly like myself.

We then went onto Denmark. I like Denmark for a visit, but we noticed that there were a lot of shops etc, either for sale or lease or closed altogether, and the impression was that trade would be very difficult there.

We had lunch in a little place on the corner. Nice sandwich, but thought that it was a little expensive for what it was.

Went into the shop next door. A craft shop, and just as we got in through the door, a car came straight at the front of the shop, missing us by seconds. Silly cow had put her foot on the accelerator instead of the break. Had a walk around the town and back to the car for our next stop.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:30 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Bridgetown. There were about 4 shops here and a Lavender farm. I think that there were a couple of other attractions there. Nice place for passing through on the way to somewhere else and
stopping off for a breather and a coffee.
Apparently a good place for camping.
Hi Whisky!
Very nice to read your story. Good that all's going well!

Finally, someones been to Bridgetown!! ( i lived there for 4 years)
It has a few more shops , but yes, it's very small. I have actually never heard of the Lavender farm! Probably new.I do know there is a Cidery, which is quite new also (well, maybe 5 years old by now, lol!)
Now there is one thing I can recommend, no two. First, for coffee along the way: Pip's Pottery. It's a pottery that also has coffee etc. Very cute place. It's on the right side of the main road (the highway!) when travelling south.
And then: Blues at Bridgetown! A festival held every 2nd weekend of November. See http://www.bluesatbridgetown.com/
And while going to that you can stay at http://www.westnet.com.au/sunnyhurstch/
Built by my dad, once owned by friends of ours, and up the road from where we lived. Or you can stay at: http://www.westnet.com.au/bridgetowncc/
They were our neighbours. I sometimes looked after there animals, swam in their pool....

Harvey - the Big Orange...!!
Donnybrook is nice too. We always stopped at the Fruit Barn. Yum!

Manjimup we didn't like either. It's much more 'industrial' ?
It is a bit bigger though. We sometimes went shopping there. But more often we went to Bunbury.

Walpole is great! We always went there on weekends when we had relatives over. We always stayed at Rest Point Holiday village: http://www.walpole.org.au/restpoint.html
It's on the other side of the inlet. Very nice place. You can hire boats to go on the inlet.
From there we always went to places like Denmark, The Valley of the Giants, Elephant Rocks beach, Pemberton (with the 61 m Gloucester tree you can climb)

Well, that's enough from me...
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Donna - what sort of work are you looking for? Do you know that Mandurah is the biggest growing area in WA and Employment is the highest growing too.
We looked everywhere for a business but they were all snapped up. It might be worth you having a look at the Mandurah Paper.
Have you been down to Mandurah?

Whisky
Old Dec 30th 2003, 2:28 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: warren dix - Jill

I have been in the same position as you, having my doubts before we came here, especially when things get difficult with visas, selling houses, kids, leaving family behind, horror stories - especially our old mate PB used to stir up my emotions a bit.

Try to put those doubts at the back of your mind, and when times are low, keep thinking about the reasons why you want to make this move, and give it a go.

Of course there are times when I miss my daughter and my old workmates and even my old job, but I keep reminding myself why we wanted to come here, and I just don't dwell on things. We take ourselves off fishing, walking along the beach, out in the boat, go for a drive,swim in the pool, go crabbing, horse riding and we soon perk up and are glad that we have done it.

Wherever you live, life will never be a bed of Roses, and life throws some sh** at us at times, but I can tell you that the way of life here is much better and more fun and is fantastic if you have a family.

Don't have any more doubts. Get yourself going and look to your future.

Good luck

Whisky
Hi Whisky

Thankyou !. I need a god kick up the a**s every now and again.
I'm off work at the mo' and spending time with daughter, doing simple things like 'housework' together. Now that may seem totally 'aarrgh' to all you threaders out there but it has helped remind me that I don't spend the time with her as much as I would like. We've made jewelry together and are ready for a game of 'buckaroo and operation' better not get them mixed up - could be painful for the mule.

I don't think it has helped that I spent two days over Christmas with the in-laws , which at best was painful, which made me wish I was on the next plane to Perth. Then yesterday spent a lovely day with cousins on my side that I don't see very often (370 mile round trip - no wonder), but it got me thinking that I don't spend as much time with them as I should. I have a great laugh with our side as my Mum's brother is the dad from the Royale family !!!. Childhood stories came thick and fast. I love a good laugh and by the end of the day the tears were streaming down my face with joy.

Our family get togethers are somewhat dominated by hubby's side of the family (his Mum is 1 of 14 and his Dad is 1 of 4 - all with children and grandchildren)

Plus the fact I have moved 15 times in 17 years and have lots of friends I keep in contact with via telephone calls- so that will have to be built into the budjet !!

All got me thinking about the fact that although we have stacks of family out in Oz it's all hubby's side.

Although my Mum would never say 'Don't go' the constant chipping away at me with phrases such as 'If I saw a cockroach I'd die' or 'It's too hot' etc don't help !!

I needed at last to read some posotive stuff to get me back on track and chant my list of ten reasons why we are going.
I've been a bitch to live with, sorry darling hubby.....

It's all about focus and when my six year old daughter tells me I'm the best Mum in the world I think I can conquer the world!!!

The whole top and bottom of it is I hate waiting, just want to get out there and start our new life, all this waiting does is give me time to think and when you consider that inside my head is a very scary place, it's a dangerous sport.

Jill

Old Dec 30th 2003, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Whisky

Great to read all your news and for the info on business agents. We are still trying to sell our house. The sale collapsed at exchange back in November and we are now in a new chain. We are still feeling positive and hope to be in Perth sometime in February.

I think a meal at a restaurant called Stones Throw will be called for, if your not too booked up!!

Alan & Mary
Old Dec 30th 2003, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jill - Families are funny creatures and can be a pain in the B U M.

My Mother took herself off to Spain 20 years ago, and since I have told her that we were moving to Oz she had been a right old cow, but I have said nothing. If she wants to be bitter then let her. I have a family and a life to get on with. She went and got on with hers 20 years ago, why shouldn't the rest of us.

Life is too short to keep worrying about others. You need to live it for you, your hubby and your daughter.

I still ring my Mother as regualrly as when I lived in the UK, but I feel the nasty remarks when she speaks, and to be honest I could quite easily fall out with her, but I won't give her the satisfaction. I just let them run straight off my back.

I miss my daughter. She is 22 and married, but I have plenty of time to work on them and let them think it is all their idea, and if they don't move out here, then I will have to accept it gracefully. I speak to her one way or another every day and she is coming out to see us soon.

Good luck Jill, and don't let the buggers get you down.

Whisky
Old Dec 30th 2003, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by ayanem
Hi Whisky

Great to read all your news and for the info on business agents. We are still trying to sell our house. The sale collapsed at exchange back in November and we are now in a new chain. We are still feeling positive and hope to be in Perth sometime in February.

I think a meal at a restaurant called Stones Throw will be called for, if your not too booked up!!

Alan & Mary
Blimey, trades looking good already.
Anyone want to buy a business with a very good turnover.

Looking forward to your visit.

Whisky
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:03 pm
Go Banana's !!

My Mother took herself off to Spain 20 years ago, and since I have told her that we were moving to Oz she had been a right old cow, but I have said nothing. If she wants to be bitter then let her. I have a family and a life to get on with. She went and got on with hers 20 years ago, why shouldn't the rest of us.

Life is too short to keep worrying about others. You need to live it for you, your hubby and your daughter.

I still ring my Mother as regualrly as when I lived in the UK, but I feel the nasty remarks when she speaks, and to be honest I could quite easily fall out with her, but I won't give her the satisfaction. I just let them run straight off my back.

I miss my daughter. She is 22 and married, but I have plenty of time to work on them and let them think it is all their idea, and if they don't move out here, then I will have to accept it gracefully. I speak to her one way or another every day and she is coming out to see us soon.

Whisky
Whisky - the world needs more people like you.

Do we get a free councilling session with every main course and a bottle of wine purchased.

Book us in for around July (hopefully)

Cheers Jill

Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Whisky
What a fantastic post, i am so pleased that you are both so happy mate, sounds like you have fulfilled your dream, hope ours come true in 2004, really nice to read the bit about your daughter, i am leaving my 19 year old daughter behind, her choice reading your post makes me feel less guilty,
best of luck with your new venture and have a very happy New Year
with best regards
rach, mark and chanelle
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jill, did you read my posts before I moved out here in October?

My cousin was killed in a tragic boating accident in September on the River Severn. It was a big wake up call for me to get on with life and stop moping about and wasting time. None of us know how much of it we have left, and theres no point moaning about what we haven't done when we are knocking at the Pearly Gates.

Outside the Estate agents here, they put little sayings on a board, and change them every day. The one yesterday was.....

Contentment is being happy with what you haven't got.

Good one I thought.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:16 pm
Go Banana's !!

Whisky

Hi Whisky,

Jill's just rung me from home whilst I am slaving away at work !! What a fantastic thread and what a great insight into the ups and downs (glad to see more ups now !!).

I swam with the Dolphins at Rockingham when we were out in April earlier this year, what a fantastic experience and for you to now have the means to do this yourself I am now turning green with envy.

Good luck with the new venture. Jill and I both work in the food industry so will definately be taking a trip out to see you when we get over for good.

Best wishes

Warren (from work !!)

Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by nosuchluck
What a fantastic post, i am so pleased that you are both so happy mate, sounds like you have fulfilled your dream, hope ours come true in 2004, really nice to read the bit about your daughter, i am leaving my 19 year old daughter behind, her choice reading your post makes me feel less guilty,
best of luck with your new venture and have a very happy New Year
with best regards
rach, mark and chanelle

Good Luck for 2004. Where abouts are you going?

Don't feel guilty.
It took my Daughter 4 weeks then she had booked her flight. She comes out on the 7th January - for 2 months - didn't take her long.

Whisky
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:27 pm
Go Banana's !!

Jill, did you read my posts before I moved out here in October?

My cousin was killed in a tragic boating accident in September on the River Severn. It was a big wake up call for me to get on with life and stop moping about and wasting time. None of us know how much of it we have left, and theres no point moaning about what we haven't done when we are knocking at the Pearly Gates.

Outside the Estate agents here, they put little sayings on a board, and change them every day. The one yesterday was.....

Contentment is being happy with what you haven't got.

Good one I thought.
Gosh..

No we didn't join here properly 'til November - or a least I couldn't get on here and see what Warren was up to until then. So I'm sorry I didn't know your tragic loss.

I had a very, very good friend aged 36 who died of ovarian cancer in July. In the scheme of things my worries are nothing, she left a five year old daughter behind. I thought I would never stop crying and the sight of her daughter walking behind the coffin carrying a yellow rose just about was the saddest thing on earth.

I promised her I wouldn't wimp out. I'm ashamed to say I needed reminding of that today.

Jill

Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Warren Dix
Hi Whisky,

Jill's just rung me from home whilst I am slaving away at work !! What a fantastic thread and what a great insight into the ups and downs (glad to see more ups now !!).

I swam with the Dolphins at Rockingham when we were out in April earlier this year, what a fantastic experience and for you to now have the means to do this yourself I am now turning green with envy.

Good luck with the new venture. Jill and I both work in the food industry so will definately be taking a trip out to see you when we get over for good.

Best wishes

Warren (from work !!)

Hi Warren, do drop in to Stones Throw when you both get out here.
Pleased that you are enjoying my thread. I was wondering whether I might be a bit boring. Let me point out that there are things that are a bit annoying here, and I will be pointing them out in my next instalment, but not enough to want me to ever go home. Just little niggles here or there, but where would the human being be if we didn't have something to get annoyed about?

WELL FOLKS - I AM EXHAUSTED. ITS GREAT TO BE BACK ON LINE TO MEET BACK UP WITH YOU OLDIES AND SOME NEWIES TOO.

NEXT INSTALLMENT TOMORROW.

GOODNIGHT - WHISKY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.