Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The cost of travel

The cost of travel

Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of travel

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Sorry to disagree Grayling, but I think you'll find that now is peak season for travel to the UK. I have been scouting for tickets between June/July & Sept since March & July was on average about $500/ticket more than later in the year. We have just booked 2 adults & 2 kids to Lon via Sing & Paris for $7950 including taxes ($500 each!!!! :scared: ) in Sept. Even cheaper if you want to go in Oct/Nov.

Still not as cheap as GBP500 though.

PS. how much was your tax?
Brain slow today needed beer

Giving this some more thought it seems odd to me that it can be high season in Australia therefore justifying higher prices but low season in the UK justifying lower prices.

We all use the same planes and they were half empty so how does that work?

Seems to me that Australian travel agents or the airlines are cashing in in Australia to allow lower prices from the UK.

Very strange

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling

Giving this some more thought it seems odd to me that it can be high season in Australia therefore justifying higher prices but low season in the UK justifying lower prices.

Seems to me that Australian travel agents or the airlines are cashing in in Australia to allow lower prices from the UK.

Very strange

G
Are prices significantly different during peak seasons (taxes excluded)? I'm not so sure. Comparing a Sing airlines flight (return) , flying from UK in Dec is ~£1,000. Flying from Oz at the same time, is ~$A2,600, ie ~£1,000. [eBookers, Harvey World]

There are 2 peak travel seasons between Oz and UK - now and in December. The prices are set by the airlines - at the maximum amount people are willing to pay - for the relatively fixed number of flights and hence seats between the 2 countries.

I guess that during the cool/cold Oz winter, the high prices are driven by people flying from Oz. In December, it's driven by the Brits seeking the Oz sun (and from both Oz/UK for people visiting relatives over Xmas).
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling

Very strange

G

High season or low season the fares are often double what they sell the same ticket booked in the UK. Even in low season with the cheapest of airlines you are going to pay at least $1500 plus taxes which were about $200 but that seem to have doubled too Peak is UK summer and Christmas time, low is Oct, early Nov late jan and feb. Like many things in Aus, somehow the prices are "all tied up" lack of competition, government maybe?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:06 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Megs, I've never met anyone yet who chooses their destination based on best value/most kms per dollar. Do you do that each time you fly somewhere
On the whole I agree with Megs here. I reckon people tend to expect internal Aussie flights to be relatively cheap simply because they're internal. But Oz is huge! Go and look on a map! Even a relatively short trip like Adelaide to Sydney is still like London to Rome. $250 (£100) return for that? Sounds quite reasonable to me.

Remember it costs N $/km or whatever to fly an aircraft from A to B regardless of how many or few international borders you're crossing.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:42 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi MarkMyWords,

That's an excellent point, never thought of it that way. I know it's a big country just didn't think.

Sunchaser