British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The cost of travel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-travel-242271/)

Grayling Jul 14th 2004 9:54 pm

The cost of travel

Ok here goes.

We travelled with Malaysian from Manchester. It cost us £490 + tax each.
I have flown with several airlines including BA, Qantas, Malaysian and Singapore.
As I said before I do not know why Singapore have such a good reputation as I have found them quite ordinary and pretty cramped. IMO malaysian are far better.
The flight out was half empy and on the two legs out we had a whole row of seats between the two of us and on the way back had a whole row and then exit seats.
The entertainment system is excellent and the crew challenged me to a drinking contest which I lost:D On one occasion I asked for a drink and the stewardess apologised because I had to wait 5 minutes!!
Still, if you all insist in flying with Singapore then it leaves more room for the rest of us;) Malysian also have an extra 2 ins. legroom over the others and, believe me, it makes a difference.

Now the bad news
We had to book some internal flights to Adelaide from Sydney and because of my son's plans had only a couple of days notice.
I did them over the internet with Virgin Blue. They cost us over $500 for the two of us and it is very difficult to get them any cheaper. Try if you don't believe me!
That is a lot of money for a short flight especially in Dollars!!
More bad news:
We met up with my cousin in Sydney. She lives in North Bondi with her husband and children. They were due to fly to the UK a couple of days after and it was costing them $10000 for the four of them.:eek: the boys are aged 7 and 9. That was just for the flights and this is not a 'peak' travel time.
These were also booked well in advance. Those who think the UK is only '24 hours away' are ignoring the fact that flights are expensive and not always available.

Saying that the train system in Sydney is good.

As for the traffic:scared: I will return to that later.

G

HiddenPaw Jul 14th 2004 10:03 pm

Re: The cost of travel

Originally posted by Grayling
Ok here goes.

We travelled with Malaysian from Manchester. It cost us £490 + tax each.
I have flown with several airlines including BA, Qantas, Malaysian and Singapore.
As I said before I do not know why Singapore have such a good reputation as I have found them quite ordinary and pretty cramped. IMO malaysian are far better.
The flight out was half empy and on the two legs out we had a whole row of seats between the two of us and on the way back had a whole row and then exit seats.
The entertainment system is excellent and the crew challenged me to a drinking contest which I lost:D On one occasion I asked for a drink and the stewardess apologised because I had to wait 5 minutes!!
Still, if you all insist in flying with Singapore then it leaves more room for the rest of us;) Malysian also have an extra 2 ins. legroom over the others and, believe me, it makes a difference.

Now the bad news
We had to book some internal flights to Adelaide from Sydney and because of my son's plans had only a couple of days notice.
I did them over the internet with Virgin Blue. They cost us over $500 for the two of us and it is very difficult to get them any cheaper. Try if you don't believe me!
That is a lot of money for a short flight especially in Dollars!!
More bad news:
We met up with my cousin in Sydney. She lives in North Bondi with her husband and children. They were due to fly to the UK a couple of days after and it was costing them $10000 for the four of them.:eek: the boys are aged 7 and 9. That was just for the flights and this is not a 'peak' travel time.
These were also booked well in advance. Those who think the UK is only '24 hours away' are ignoring the fact that flights are expensive and not always available.

Saying that the train system in Sydney is good.

As for the traffic:scared: I will return to that later.

G
Grayling, have to agree with you on Malaysian...thought they were excellent. And also thought Singapore Airlines were pretty average (awful food and hard seats - in my experience!!)

Was the $500 for 2 flights to Sydney just one-way or return?

I have heard people say on here it can cost $15000 to fly a family back to the UK (maybe that's flights AND holiday costs??)...either way, that's 4 months of salary on a reasonable Aussie wage :eek:

Grayling Jul 14th 2004 10:12 pm

Hi HP

That was return.
Actually you can not book returns but have to book each leg separately with Virgin blue. Maybe possibl through an agent. I did it over the internet.
VB now have arrangements with United airlines and their partners so you may be able to get a whole package cheaper.

G

jad n rich Jul 14th 2004 10:45 pm

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Grayling, have to agree with you on Malaysian...thought they were excellent. And also thought Singapore Airlines were pretty average (awful food and hard seats - in my experience!!)

Was the $500 for 2 flights to Sydney just one-way or return?

I have heard people say on here it can cost $15000 to fly a family back to the UK (maybe that's flights AND holiday costs??)...either way, that's 4 months of salary on a reasonable Aussie wage :eek:

That was me, we went in feb, 5 of us 3 as adults 2 as kids, fares, taxes, insurance and changing up $3000 for basic expenses in the UK, $3000 rapidly turned into just over 1000pound. We had free car and accom. Its made me very unsettled because I know how much its costs now and it does make seeing the family totally impossible, some days I just want to see them and it may be years till we can afford that again.

Lost wages for that period cost us another $4000+ but I did not include that as some lucky devils may get holiday pay, we dont, so really it cost us $19,000. Air travel in realtion to wages here makes saying its only 24 hours away a very sad joke.

Singapore airlines agree worst seats ever and far too close together but lovely staff and a very clean airline.

Megalania Jul 14th 2004 11:18 pm

Sydney - Adelaide: 1167km; $250 pp return: $0.107 / km
Sydney - London: 16997 km; $3,000 pp return $0.088 / km

Not much difference really.

MrsDagboy Jul 14th 2004 11:28 pm

Originally posted by Grayling
They were due to fly to the UK a couple of days after and it was costing them $10000 for the four of them.:eek: the boys are aged 7 and 9. That was just for the flights and this is not a 'peak' travel time.
Sorry to disagree Grayling, but I think you'll find that now is peak season for travel to the UK. I have been scouting for tickets between June/July & Sept since March & July was on average about $500/ticket more than later in the year. We have just booked 2 adults & 2 kids to Lon via Sing & Paris for $7950 including taxes ($500 each!!!! :scared: ) in Sept. Even cheaper if you want to go in Oct/Nov.

Still not as cheap as GBP500 though. ;)

PS. how much was your tax?

Grayling Jul 14th 2004 11:55 pm

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Sorry to disagree Grayling, but I think you'll find that now is peak season for travel to the UK. I have been scouting for tickets between June/July & Sept since March & July was on average about $500/ticket more than later in the year. We have just booked 2 adults & 2 kids to Lon via Sing & Paris for $7950 including taxes ($500 each!!!! :scared: ) in Sept. Even cheaper if you want to go in Oct/Nov.

Still not as cheap as GBP500 though. ;)

PS. how much was your tax?
Yes you are right Mrs DB.
It was school holiday time in NSW. I'd forgotten that.
I still thought it expensive though.
I think tax was £80 each total.

G

MikeStanton Jul 15th 2004 12:07 am

Originally posted by jad n rich
...Singapore airlines agree worst seats ever and far too close together but lovely staff and a very clean airline.
We've travelled UK-Oz on both Malaysian and Singapore in the last couple of years. Our experience was that they were both very good. However, it could be that Singapore has (or had!) a better - or better advertised - reputation.

I used to travel Qantas - but, sadly they seem to have gone downhill (unfortunately their prices are not following them! :) )

sjn2003 Jul 15th 2004 12:12 am

Are you on commission with Malaysian or what ??:D

Can't comment as only flown Singapore but will definitely give them a look next time on that recommendation.

Surely there is some element of supply and demand in the pricing of flights from Oz. Is it really any different from someone in the UK on an average wage not being able to afford a holiday to Australia?

I think the important point to remember is that some people will be taking a cut in relative salary making everything more expensive and that it is vital to put aside enough cash to make that emergency flight if needed.

owieb Jul 15th 2004 12:17 am

Yeah internal flights are really pricey!

I've just booked two return tickets from Perth to Townsville and it's cost $1,500 with Virgin Blue. The same flights would have been about $2,900 with Qantas! Shocking!

On the Virgin Blue website it was actually cheaper to book the tickets in stages. When I selected the destination as Townsville it gave me two flights, perth->brisbane, then brisbane->townsville and it quoted a price for that journey each way.

I then tried booking the flights seperately, exactly the same flights, but just one booking as perth->brisbane and one booking as brisbane->townsville. It actually worked out about $200 cheaper for exactly the same flights! Not quite sure how their website calculates fares, but certainly worth trying a few different combinations.

Megalania Jul 15th 2004 12:36 am

Perth - Sydney - Townsville: 6500 km; $750 pp return: $0.0577 / km.

JayneS Jul 15th 2004 12:40 am

WHoo hoo - all good news for me as I fly Manchester to Malaysia/Sydney on 20th August. THe leg room is a god send as my boyfriend is 6'4 and usually stands for most of the flight!!
Thanks for info.

HiddenPaw Jul 15th 2004 12:47 am

Originally posted by Megalania
Megs, I've never met anyone yet who chooses their destination based on best value/most kms per dollar. Do you do that each time you fly somewhere :D

You might want to take into consideration other factors such as whether food is included in the cost of the flight - it's not with VB...that might increase your cost per km if you need food drink in-flight!! :cool: :D

owieb Jul 15th 2004 12:53 am

Originally posted by Megalania
Forgot to mention "time".

I also wanted the shortest journey time and going via brisbane brought the journey down to about 8.5 hrs including hanging around. Whereas the journey via Sydney or Melbourne was about 2-3 hours longer.

Megalania Jul 15th 2004 1:00 am

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Megs, I've never met anyone yet who chooses their destination based on best value/most kms per dollar. Do you do that each time you fly somewhere :D

You might want to take into consideration other factors such as whether food is included in the cost of the flight - it's not with VB...that might increase your cost per km if you need food drink in-flight!! :cool: :D
If I want tucker on the flight, I can stuff a salami in me pocket and chaw off a bit when needed. If I need a drink I can take me water bag.

Point is: travel in Aus is not particularly expensive.