Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Oz

Cost of living in Oz

Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Oz

I'd be a little concerned with the boom to bust economy in Australia which has prevailed through history.
What may seem very rosey today may well turn toxic in the future. I'm thinking of the construction industry here.

During the late 90s a number of tradies were not getting enough work and rates were very competitive.
The onus by business is,I think it fair to say to cut costs. There is a lot of talk of abuse of 457 visas at the moment. The numbers of permanent migrants coming in recent years must impact at some stage.
A number of course do not get work in their area and drive taxis and the like.

Australia is a very expensive country. It has never been so expensive to buy a house if you take the rate of pay to inflated price of house.
We are far worse of in my view than pre boom.
People work long hours to pay their lifestyle. I wouldn't say it as a rule is any better for kids,necessary but that may depend on circumstances like where you live at the moment.

There's really a lot to ponder. Not forgetting can be lonely for many over here as well. A factor not always appreciated.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
I earned £70k in england I earn $70k here and I honestly don't feel significantly worse off, would I go back to UK now for a £100k? no chance. Enjoyinglife amd trying to make the most of it. Sometimes this means not treating it like a business balance sheet and just living it!
I find it amazing you don't find much of a difference. I fully agree that life shouldn't be treated as a balance sheet,where ever happiness is found being far more relivant.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour

Australia is a very expensive country. It has never been so expensive to buy a house if you take the rate of pay to inflated price of house.
We are far worse of in my view than pre boom.
People work long hours to pay their lifestyle. I wouldn't say it as a rule is any better for kids,necessary but that may depend on circumstances like where you live at the moment.
Originally Posted by cresta57
We manage very well on a lot less. It helps that our mortgage is < $100k, we have no power bills, no water bills, harvest our fire wood from our own land & eat fresh home cooked food with very little expensive processed food.
Taking the first part of your post - I think if you want to do well here, you need a modest income and/or keep your life as easy as possible. My wife and I refuse to buy new cars etc and many of us can make choices. We have been caught up with the increase in cost of living, but as you say, keeping the mortgage down is key. We would not be able to afford to live here if we had bought here now, but I'm not so sure we could afford to live in London either.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:26 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Which leaves you with about $600 per week between the four of you for everything else. Do-able, but only just.
We get around $5k pm which includes the centrelink for the kids. The wife and I take $50 pw spend we save 1k pm have a reasonable suburbanexistence and there tends to be a few $ left at the end of the month.

We never eat out really, drink at home and my double cab work ute is free to use so fuel isn't a major expense for us. Thinking back on the £ that I used to spend im amazed we manage how we do on so little! We still think nothing of spendg $50 on fish and chips at the beach if we feel like it. At first it felt Impossible but if I can do it anybody can!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Taking the first part of your post - I think if you want to do well here, you need a modest income and/or keep your life as easy as possible. My wife and I refuse to buy new cars etc and many of us can make choices. We have been caught up with the increase in cost of living, but as you say, keeping the mortgage down is key. We would not be able to afford to live here if we had bought here now, but I'm not so sure we could afford to live in London either.
I work 3-4 days a week a lot of the time, I didn't come to go to work Monday to Friday. I haven't worked a Monday for ages lol my choice as I'm my own boss. It's down to lifestyle mate. As long as there's food on the table & fuel to go fishing I'm happy. Nothing on tick so my only debt is a small mortgage. A simple uncomplicated life.
I'm still contemplating Gillard or Abbott though
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
We get around $5k pm which includes the centrelink for the kids. The wife and I take $50 pw spend we save 1k pm have a reasonable suburbanexistence and there tends to be a few $ left at the end of the month.

We never eat out really, drink at home and my double cab work ute is free to use so fuel isn't a major expense for us. Thinking back on the £ that I used to spend im amazed we manage how we do on so little! We still think nothing of spendg $50 on fish and chips at the beach if we feel like it. At first it felt Impossible but if I can do it anybody can!
Actually, the wife and I have been cutting back and have discovered that we can save 1-2k a month easily after all, and more in some months. (And a lot less in other months when something breaks - teeth, pumps you name it). Food for thought. I've been amazed as it tells me that it all does depends on your budget and what you do with your money.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:01 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the wife and I have been cutting back and have discovered that we can save 1-2k a month easily after all, and more in some months. (And a lot less in other months when something breaks - teeth, pumps you name it). Food for thought. I've been amazed as it tells me that it all does depends on your budget and what you do with your money.
Indeed!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I spend a load, and save a load. The only difference to the UK is I could never save a load. Just my situation
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
I spend a load, and save a load. The only difference to the UK is I could never save a load. Just my situation
Thre's a reason why we have decided to save and it's about investing for the future. What has amazed us is that if we can save this much money 'after all' without increasing income then the future is not so 'bleak' after all - (bleak in the context of 'expensive Australia') especially as I took a deliberate pay cut 2 years ago - tactical move!