Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Oz

Cost of living in Oz

Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

AngelaClare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Oz

Hi,

A newbie and building my knowledge bank as me, hubby and children are in the very early stages/it's a possibility that we would like to move to Australia.

I am fully aware that if we make the move we won't be living the dream. We are looking for a different lifestyle. One with better weather for start. Not sure what part of Australia but I guess finding a job would control that.

We currently live in the Midlands. Own a house in the countryside. My hubby's job in construction is on the list at the moment although he is unemployed currently. We are looking to apply for a visa this year but we just can't fund it at present.

I have read several posts that its pricey in Australia. Is this just for buying property and renting or are we talking the costs in general? Fuel, electric, clothes etc

And is it that those who moved to Australia a few years ago are now seeing prices rise? As prices have risen considerably in the UK and in other countries too is it that Australia is just following the trend?

Do wages reflect on the cost of living?

Just trying to get an idea of how difficult it could be over there. I wouldn't want to relocate only to find we couldn't do anything or see any of the country because we were too skint!

We would more than likely rent over there. Not looking for a city to live but certainly not the outback! Near the coast.
I have had a look at rental prices and yes more than my current mortgage!

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Oz

When the pound dropped and the AUD strengthened many kept using the exchange rate to compare prices when the exchange rate is irrelevant when comparing the cost of living. This leads to many dodgy conclusions so you need to take all that "noise" from people who compare incorrectly using the exchange rate out of the equation before doing a true comparison. The percentage of average salary spent to buy something is the proper way to compare...apologies if you know all this already.

The same goes for wages. You can't use the exchange rate to work out an equivalent wage as it will appear that your wage is way better than it really is. You need to look at the average difference in wages and see where your wage falls in relation to this average.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I love these threads
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

How expensive Oz is will vary a lot on the individual circumstances. In particular how much you earn in the UK to how much that job might pay here.

Don't use the official exchange rate. Lots of people agree that a broad rule of thumb is to convert by 2.5. So, have a look on seek.com.au for the jobs you do to try and get an idea of what it pays in Oz. Then divide by 2.5 and that would be the amount in pounds that it would be like living on.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaClare
Hi,

A newbie and building my knowledge bank as me, hubby and children are in the very early stages/it's a possibility that we would like to move to Australia.

I am fully aware that if we make the move we won't be living the dream. We are looking for a different lifestyle. One with better weather for start. Not sure what part of Australia but I guess finding a job would control that.

We currently live in the Midlands. Own a house in the countryside. My hubby's job in construction is on the list at the moment although he is unemployed currently. We are looking to apply for a visa this year but we just can't fund it at present.

I have read several posts that its pricey in Australia. Is this just for buying property and renting or are we talking the costs in general? Fuel, electric, clothes etc

And is it that those who moved to Australia a few years ago are now seeing prices rise? As prices have risen considerably in the UK and in other countries too is it that Australia is just following the trend?

Just trying to get an idea of how difficult it could be over there. I wouldn't want to relocate only to find we couldn't do anything or see any of the country because we were too skint!

We would more than likely rent over there. Not looking for a city to live but certainly not the outback! Near the coast.

Thanks in advance
For me overall COL is roughly similar with Australia being slightly more expensive.

Avoid all the BE mumbo jumbo rates of 2, 2.5, 3 etc that you will read on here. They are pointless. All that matters is the actual exchange rate and your personal purchasing power (the amount of time you have to work to afford something).
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For me overall COL is roughly similar with Australia being slightly more expensive.

Avoid all the BE mumbo jumbo rates of 2, 2.5, 3 etc that you will read on here. They are pointless. All that matters is the actual exchange rate and your personal purchasing power (the amount of time you have to work to afford something).
And to calculate purchasing power you need a ratio.

Before coming to Oz yo need to know are you going to be better or worse off in your purchasing power. That is what the 2.5 ratio does. It allows someone to compare how well off they are no compared to what they may have in Oz. Yes, it's broad and this has been discussed a thousand times as you know. Each time most people have accepted it's a good rule of thumb. It's only issue is that some find it too low - we like to eat out a lot so find it is probably closer to x3. Some of the young guys at work who spend most of their cash on nights out would say x4. But, a average is about 2.5.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy

Before coming to Oz yo need to know are you going to be better or worse off in your purchasing power. That is what the 2.5 ratio does. It allows someone to compare how well off they are no compared to what they may have in Oz. Yes, it's broad and this has been discussed a thousand times as you know. Each time most people have accepted it's a good rule of thumb. It's only issue is that some find it too low - we like to eat out a lot so find it is probably closer to x3. Some of the young guys at work who spend most of their cash on nights out would say x4. But, a average is about 2.5.
Imaginary BE exchange rates are worthless - and pointless. Actual exchange rate and PPP are all that matter. PPP can be measured at a national level but in reality is different for all of us. My PPP is better in Australia right now. My overall COL is roughly the same - a bit more here.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

It does also depend on where you are coming from and going to.

I did a virtual shop online and found that the cost of food shopping was about 1.5 my bill here. Petrol is better than 1:1. Houses are also better than 1:1 with my area compared with Adelaide. Wages for my work seem to be around 1.5 - 1.8 on my basic.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
When the pound dropped and the AUD strengthened many kept using the exchange rate to compare prices when the exchange rate is irrelevant when comparing the cost of living. This leads to many dodgy conclusions so you need to take all that "noise" from people who compare incorrectly using the exchange rate out of the equation before doing a true comparison. The percentage of average salary spent to buy something is the proper way to compare...apologies if you know all this already.

The same goes for wages. You can't use the exchange rate to work out an equivalent wage as it will appear that your wage is way better than it really is. You need to look at the average difference in wages and see where your wage falls in relation to this average.
People won't listen though...!

Imaginary BE exchange rates are worthless - and pointless. Actual exchange rate and PPP are all that matter. PPP can be measured at a national level but in reality is different for all of us. My PPP is better in Australia right now. My overall COL is roughly the same - a bit more here.
Exactly.

Disagree, for the reasons Amazulu and Fish have given.
I would work out a ratio or magic number based on how many hrs I would have to work to earn the purchasing power to earn a basket of goods, extended to utils, cars, housing etc. This then fits nicely in with the stuff I do, the stuff I want, and get, and the job I do, in the place where I want to do it. A person could do this calculation with an average salary, an average salary in their field etc, followed by a fall-back salary that represents worst-case scenaro.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Disagree, for the reasons Amazulu and Fish have given.
I would work out a ratio or magic number based on how many hrs I would have to work to earn the purchasing power to earn a basket of goods, extended to utils, cars, housing etc. This then fits nicely in with the stuff I do, the stuff I want, and get, and the job I do, in the place where I want to do it. A person could do this calculation with an average salary, an average salary in their field etc, followed by a fall-back salary that represents worst-case scenaro.
I am learning something on this MBA!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 5:55 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaClare
Hi,

Thanks in advance
If you live in the English countryside at the moment then don't even think about coming here. Give me the drab UK weather any day, at least in the UK you can always dress for the weather and go out for a long walk in the countryside, rain or shine. Here one third of the year is too hot, too wet, dark evenings, mozzies, cost of everything is way too expensive. If you think that the UK is too expensive to live then you ain't seen nothing yet. If you think the UK is a nanny state and pandering to Brussels then come here and be treated as a child by the govt. Pay too much tax in the UK, come here and see what high really means. Don't like the NHS? Come here and pay through the nose for any kind of treatment. Like your private health insurance that pays ALL of your health bill? Stay where you are. nuff said....
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by arkon
If you live in the English countryside at the moment then don't even think about coming here. Give me the drab UK weather any day, at least in the UK you can always dress for the weather and go out for a long walk in the countryside, rain or shine. Here one third of the year is too hot, too wet, dark evenings, mozzies, cost of everything is way too expensive. If you think that the UK is too expensive to live then you ain't seen nothing yet. If you think the UK is a nanny state and pandering to Brussels then come here and be treated as a child by the govt. Pay too much tax in the UK, come here and see what high really means. Don't like the NHS? Come here and pay through the nose for any kind of treatment. Like your private health insurance that pays ALL of your health bill? Stay where you are. nuff said....
Mr Happy's back!
Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I am learning something on this MBA!
;-)

It's basic 'rithmetic!

To the OP - I believe that there is a case to answer that for many people
there are areas of Australia that exceed the UK in cost. How much by, it depends. Surely groceries are far dearer in Australia. There are things that are free, like parking, (in the sorts of places that might bear a cost in the UK), labour rates I think are good in some areas. But Australia is not cheap - it is up there with the most expensive places, and has overtaken many of the old candidates. Hotel rooms - a ripoff Sir.

That said, you are right when you say that there have been hikes in both countries - at different times, even, where it's hard to say which country is now out 'in front'.. Even 5 years or so ago, I was on record as saying that utils and insurance were cheaper here, now I am not so sure.

The FX is so poor it no longer subsidises people into a mortgage free existence or paid off cars - which offsets the cost for many long-term posters. So day to day life for some migrants will be hard and not much 'lifestyle' to make up for it. Be careful when you look at the lifestyle Australia has to offer -you may not like it as much as you think you will.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Arkon is back! Yay

Probably my favourite poster in the months when we were sorting visas etc before coming out here.

Sorry, OP got carried away but Arkon is a bit like Jeremy Clarkson in as much as everything he says is more or less true. Did I just say that!

If you have a great life in the UK and the money is worrying you then probably don't bother.

If your life is going nowhere and you can bring a pot of cash then you can have an adventure if you want it and I am still convinced it is a better place for the children.

Last edited by neil248; Mar 15th 2013 at 8:55 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Exchange rates mean nothing when comparing. Totally pointless. Personal purchasing power (% of salary something costs in both countries) is the best measure but of course the BE estimate kicks in because some people don't have a job yet in Australia so just want a general country wide estimate of PPP as a whole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.