Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much are groceries in Australia compared to the UK?

How much are groceries in Australia compared to the UK?

Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:11 pm
Banned

ddtown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much are groceries in Australia compared to the UK?

I'm trying to work out a budget, if a single person spends about £30 a week on food, how much can that person expect to spend in Australia? I know Australia is a lot more expensive.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default Re: How much are groceries in Australia compared to the UK?

What do you buy? If you check out both Coles and Woolworths you can do a dummy online shop and get a rough idea, although prices will be cheaper at local markets/greengrocers/butchers etc.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddtown
I'm trying to work out a budget, if a single person spends about £30 a week on food, how much can that person expect to spend in Australia? I know Australia is a lot more expensive.
times it by ten
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on exactly which food and which city you live in, but I reckon $75 would buy you averagely the same as 30 pounds.

BB
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:35 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Im a single person with no vices and spend $120 per week on groceries. That is I think the bare minimum you could get away with. Food only is about $90 per week but then when you add the things that last more than a week like bog rolls, cleaning stuffs etc that you need to buy every now and then, it averages $120 per week for me.

You could reduce this if you had the time to visit more than one shop but then how much does your fuel and time cost?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

Grocery shopping is much more expensive here....dishwasher tablets, razors, washing powder make me cringe every time I put them in the trolley :$ I spend about $200 a week for a family of four and that buys me 5 or 6 meals a week. We eat out once or twice a week on top. There is no way you could survive on 30GBP I am afraid. Double it at least.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Mister176 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like in everywhere else, to a large extent it depends on your living arrangements and lifestyle.

As a single guy in his 20s sharing a flat with 2 flatmates near Darlinghurst, I can easily survive on $70/week for groceries.

You just need to keep an eye out for all the promotions and discounts, which most people do unconciously anyways.

However, if you plan to eat out and throw a couple of drinks a week, then Australia is much more expensive than the UK.

You can find Aldi in some parts of Sydney which can help you cut your groceries bills by a third at least.

As a general rule, expect to double what you spend / earn in the UK. If you earn less than twice of your UK salary then you are worse off here.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mister176
JAs a general rule, expect to double what you spend / earn in the UK. If you earn less than twice of your UK salary then you are worse off here.
+1 . Purchasing 'power' in action.
(Assuming that you do spend twice in dollars, what you spent in pounds)
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently three adults living in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. I keep a spreadsheet of our expenditure so I know it's 100% accurate. I cook most nights and we spend $165 a week on average on in the supermarket/fruit shop/bakery. That includes cleaning stuff and toiletries.

My OH is an expert in finding specials and if I can buy supermarket stuff in Aldi, I do. Otherwise it mostly comes from Woollies.