Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Wikiposts

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:31 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Maybe Brisbane Bayside is unique. $125 per week does us for all food (family of 3)

Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:29 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Maybe Brisbane Bayside is unique. $125 per week does us for all food (family of 3)

Thats more like it

Will definately be in touch once we get to bayside ..

Took a look around wynnum last night and really liked it... going to go to the realtors on saturday
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dinnie
The UK supermarket model is not unique - its just like the US.

Yes they have strong purchasing power which is why they sell everything from books to butter and almost below cost. Who suffers though? Britains farmers for starters. And along the food chain it goes, local retailers, local producers. Companies shipping their manufacturing over to the East where they exploit labour. Its evil is what it is.

Convenience stores are fighting to stay alive in the face of a Tesco on every corner. If this country doesn't wake up and see that in less than 5 years every unique trader and retailer will be bullied out of business and we'll be forced to buy EVERYTHING from 3 places - Tesco, Sainsbury and Morrisons. No competition, and remember, no competition is not a good thing.

How were small convenience stores supposed to 'adapt' exactly?

Dinnie

Lived in Los Angeles for a few years, all the big supermarkets Vons, Jons etc coming to UK to Check out Tesco-supermarkets that sell Petrol, Supermarkets cross selling credit cards, car insurance-this biz model is unique compared to US (just my belief, also have some MBA case study on this somewhere on this as well.)

Did you see yesterdays FT-big article on supermarkets in UK funding growth on supplier credit terms. Glad I am not a supplier to Tesco can you imagine going to negotiate 06 supply conditions to that giant
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:40 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

There is no question that the Coles Myer Group have a strangle hold on country. The addition of Aldi a few years back rocked the model slightly but it hasn't taken off as well as hoped.

The bread being cheap is what is called a KVI (Known value item). Basically the principal is you know how much you should be paying for certain items and they sell them cheap so your overall perception is the shop is cheap. They make there margins on the "other" stuff.

Another example is Bunnings. They are decimating the competition with there aggressive pricing and loss leaders yet you'll still find that a healthy % of their products have upwards of 40% margin on them.

I recently bought a stereo for my daughter (shh its for xmas) from Harvey Norman. It was $150 but I got it for $130. You can bargain with them and you just have to understand there margins. If you are in Good Guys if you look at the Pay Cash Pay Less signs you will notice a little code on them. They tell the staff how much they can give off. Cover this with your haand and see them sweat. When they give you this price it is NOT the best that they can do and you can always get more off. Where we are I have found Retravision to be the most agreeable to bargaining.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blairdoesntcare
Melbourne is an expensive city to live in - Australia is not cheap at all.

Our food bill is the same, outgoings are the same. Yes meat is cheaper, BUT bread and Milk are more expensive.

Petrol Is half price, but as most cars are petrol (not many diesels around) you will find that you put in double the amount of petrol than if you drove a diesel in the UK. Also note that car servicing is a rip off down under - and for some very strange reason, the Car manufacturers think that they servicing a lot more often in Oz than the UK. For example Honda cars need servicing every 6000kms - of 3,600miles - in the Uk its every 12,000 miles! The climate here is probably the same as southern Spain - cant understand that one either!

Make sure if you are heading down under to budget well!!

So walked down from bank underground from work today…took breakfast on the move as late for work..one slice of toast 90p, one apple 70pence, one banana 70 pence.

Aus is more expensive then UK? I think not.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
So walked down from bank underground from work today…took breakfast on the move as late for work..one slice of toast 90p, one apple 70pence, one banana 70 pence.

Aus is more expensive then UK? I think not.
What a crap example, your going to the extreme there
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
What a crap example, your going to the extreme there
These are the results of the Mercer cost of living survey for 2004.

The cost of living survey's index of cities in 2004:

1 - Tokyo, JAPAN
2 - London, UK
3 - Moscow, RUSSIA
4 - Osaka, JAPAN
5 - Hong Kong
6 - Geneva, SWITZERLAND
7 - Seoul, SOUTH KOREA
8 - Copenhagen, DENMARK
9 - Zurich, SWITZERLAND
10 - St. Petersburg, RUSSIA
11 - Beijing, CHINA
12 - New York City, USA
13 - Milan, ITALY
14 - Dublin, IRELAND
15 - Oslo, NORWAY
16 - Shanghai, CHINA
17 - Paris, FRANCE
18 - Istanbul, TURKEY
19 - Vienna, AUSTRIA
20 - Sydney, AUSTRALIA

67 - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
87 - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
94 - Perth, AUSTRALIA

Oh, and this bears mentioning too:

A separate survey of 215 cities found Australian cities continued to rate among the highest for high quality of life. The Age, June 24, 2004

I think you have to look at the overall picture over time and you can not do that until you have lived in a place for a time. You can't possibly compare weekly shops in Oz to the UK when you've not had a chance to look around, understand how things work in your new place.

When I first moved to London it took me an age to work out a: where to shop for food, b: what the heck to buy c: the local SPAR may have been convenient AND they sold Ben & Jerry's but in the long run it was not very beneficial to my pocket or my weight!

I guess what I am trying to say is you can't say things like 'Melbourne has the same cost of living as the UK' cause it is just patently not true. You will freak people out and scare them off considering Australia as a place to live. You must like some aspects of it?

Anyway, I need to do some work!!

Dinnie

Last edited by Dinnie; Dec 7th 2005 at 9:23 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not so:
Fuel prices from WA Fuel Watch site:
ULP=104.6c/l
Diesel=115.9c/l

Fuel consumption figures for a mark 5 2.0litre Golf (officical figures from VW, might not be accurate but good as a yardstick):
FSi Petrol=8l/100km=fuel cost of $8.37
TDi Diesel=5.7l/100km=fuel cost of $6.61

Saving of $1.76/100km, $176/10 000km, $1760/100 000km

Servicing costs are the same. The fuel duty on diesel is dropping slightly in January. As Diesel gets more popular the cost will come down. The quality of diesel is improving. The arguement for diesel gets stronger with larger engines (3.0litre & above) & less so for smaller engines (below 2.0litre). Diesels are perfect for Australian roads as they are ideal for cruising (the diesel Golf will do 1000km on one tank).

I will never buy a petrol car again.

Wakey, wakey Australia.
LPG is the fuel of the future, not diesel. That's why Australia has plenty of LPG cars (and LPG outlets) while the UK has virtually none.

Wakey, wakey Amazulu.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
LPG is the fuel of the future, not diesel. That's why Australia has plenty of LPG cars (and LPG outlets) while the UK has virtually none.

Wakey, wakey Amazulu.
That's right! Cheap to run, cheap to convert - hurrah!

How I miss the smell of a car run on gas....
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:04 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

That's right! Cheap to run, cheap to convert - hurrah!

How I miss the smell of a car run on gas....
How much to convert?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

How much to convert?
I'm going back 6 years and it used to be around $1,500. No idea what it would be now but unless LPG has gone up to a buck a litre it is still the cheapest and cleanest way to go.

Dinnie
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:07 pm

I'm going back 6 years and it used to be around $1,500. No idea what it would be now but unless LPG has gone up to a buck a litre it is still the cheapest and cleanest way to go.

Dinnie
Still around 42 cents
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Still around 42 cents
Hmmm - I suspect we'll get a LPG run car then. Considering we've been paying around 95p for diesel here that is almost free!!

I love your dancing Spiderman fraser ...

Dinnie
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP
If you are in Good Guys if you look at the Pay Cash Pay Less signs you will notice a little code on them. They tell the staff how much they can give off. Cover this with your haand and see them sweat. When they give you this price it is NOT the best that they can do and you can always get more off. Where we are I have found Retravision to be the most agreeable to bargaining.
I thought it was funny how quickly they can arrive so confidently at a initial discount without any consultation. They have a cue!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

- in just over a month I'll be shopping there for real. I'll post then and either eat humble pie or still maintain its cheaper to live in Oz than it is in the UK.

Dinnie
Do not kid yourself. When earning Aussie dollars, living in Oz IS NOT cheaper than the U.K. Please repeat this mantra, otherwise you could be in for a huge shock.....

And when you've spent the equivilent (dollars for pounds) on your grocery shopping for the week but you've only got dollars left to spend in the bank account and not the equivilent in Pounds stirling, then you'll see....

Sorry but it's the hard truth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.