Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:07 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

i bet you are paid bi-weekly here

Originally Posted by DianneH68
I find it hard to spend the money I earn here, whereas back home I always ran out of money at the end of the month.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:09 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It can take time to find the right places. My wife had the same problem when we moved back to the UK !

We rarely buy Bread, Milk, Fruit, Vegetables and Meat in Woolworth's, or any supermarket. It could often be double what we normally pay at our butcher or Fruit & Veg shop.
We're currently in newstead which doesn't help .. theres bugger all around except a small wollies in hamilton ..

We're doing a birkdale 'drive through' tonight and then coming to bayside at the weekend to try and find a more long term rental ... once we have that we'll start shopping around for better deals on the weekly shop

I need to find somewhere to live where the wife can get about easily with the pushchair as we only have one car and i'll need that for work .. so bayside looks like its pretty self contained (manly/wynnum/birkdale) so thats where we're looking there
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brisnick
i bet you are paid bi-weekly here
You're right there! I've never heard of being paid fortnightly before but it's great! You hardly seemed to have spent anything before you're getting paid again
Got paid today (again!) actually so it's off to the pub in a minute
Got to make the most of it before heading back to very expensive London on Saturday
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:30 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

I ride a Honda C90 which in the Uk does 100 miles for £1 ... ish!

I eat apples and do not drink milk!

I am drunk and PLEASE excuse this post ...

Sowwy ...
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
i'd rather have petrol. cheaper to run (ltrs/100km and price per litre)
Not so:
Fuel prices from WA Fuel Watch site:
ULP=104.6c/l
Diesel=115.9c/l

Fuel consumption figures for a mark 5 2.0litre Golf (officical figures from VW, might not be accurate but good as a yardstick):
FSi Petrol=8l/100km=fuel cost of $8.37
TDi Diesel=5.7l/100km=fuel cost of $6.61

Saving of $1.76/100km, $176/10 000km, $1760/100 000km

Servicing costs are the same. The fuel duty on diesel is dropping slightly in January. As Diesel gets more popular the cost will come down. The quality of diesel is improving. The arguement for diesel gets stronger with larger engines (3.0litre & above) & less so for smaller engines (below 2.0litre). Diesels are perfect for Australian roads as they are ideal for cruising (the diesel Golf will do 1000km on one tank).

I will never buy a petrol car again.

Wakey, wakey Australia.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Wakey, wakey Australia.
My cab does 18 to the gallon diesel, should I ship her over?

(ignore him! ... )
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
I am with you mate.
If only Govt could give us subsidies.... (changes in IT slab structure...) it would help (A LITTLE).
I am wondering about it since couple of months now of total 5 months I have been here.
- Bart
I am suprised that IT doesn't seem to earn the wages in the top end of the field... mind you the UK seems to have dropped out wage wise within IT too.

Reckon you could earn more if you were a tradie! Good hours too. My tradie works about 4 hours a day

I am not sure how the Ozzies cope with the cost of living here let alone how they manage to pay for private school!

That must be why it seems like they all go to bed at 8pm
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

For a family things are much more noticeable..

I find that we eat at home more than the UK! mainly due to where we are plus I like to make sure that the girls have a good diet.

I am still in shock as to the cost of living here compared to wages within IT.
We are looking at heading back next yearish so we can hopefully earn some mega bucks to bring back again in a few years! I reckon without the financial strain, Australia could be great fun.

Going keep my little hut here though and lease it - anybody interested???
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not so:
Fuel prices from WA Fuel Watch site:
ULP=104.6c/l
Diesel=115.9c/l

Fuel consumption figures for a mark 5 2.0litre Golf (officical figures from VW, might not be accurate but good as a yardstick):
FSi Petrol=8l/100km=fuel cost of $8.37
TDi Diesel=5.7l/100km=fuel cost of $6.61

Saving of $1.76/100km, $176/10 000km, $1760/100 000km

Servicing costs are the same. The fuel duty on diesel is dropping slightly in January. As Diesel gets more popular the cost will come down. The quality of diesel is improving. The arguement for diesel gets stronger with larger engines (3.0litre & above) & less so for smaller engines (below 2.0litre). Diesels are perfect for Australian roads as they are ideal for cruising (the diesel Golf will do 1000km on one tank).

Wakey, wakey Australia.
I agree. I drive a diesel Jaguar X type here. It is the cheapest car I have ever had to run (previous cars include Suzuki Vitara, Toyota Avensis, Vauxhall Cavalier and Fiat Panda). It does 40 - 65mpg, costs £112 per year to tax and £265 per year to insure fully comp. If I bought the equivalent petrol Jag in Oz it would cost three times as much to run.

I wish I could economically take it with me..........

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I agree. I drive a diesel Jaguar X type here. It is the cheapest car I have ever had to run (previous cars include Suzuki Vitara, Toyota Avensis, Vauxhall Cavalier and Fiat Panda). It does 40 - 65mpg, costs £112 per year to tax and £265 per year to insure fully comp. If I bought the equivalent petrol Jag in Oz it would cost three times as much to run.

I wish I could economically take it with me..........

Cheers

Buzzy
If the car is THAT important, I'd stay put!

Sorry, but to me Oz is a damm sight more than 'what car I can afford to drive'.

I'd happily have the Panda 45 over there compared to the Jag whatever over here!

Sorry, no mean to dig but for someone who is struggling like fucnk to get there in the first place, cars seems soooo imimmaterial

Sorry, but pennies worth!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Paul2004
If the car is THAT important, I'd stay put!

Sorry, but to me Oz is a damm sight more than 'what car I can afford to drive'.

I'd happily have the Panda 45 over there compared to the Jag whatever over here!

Sorry, no mean to dig but for someone who is struggling like fucnk to get there in the first place, cars seems soooo imimmaterial

Sorry, but pennies worth!
Errr sorry I upset you Paul, but this thread was discussing diesel v petrol, that's all. No need to throw the toys out of the pram!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cam_uk
We're currently in newstead which doesn't help .. theres bugger all around except a small wollies in hamilton ..

We're doing a birkdale 'drive through' tonight and then coming to bayside at the weekend to try and find a more long term rental ... once we have that we'll start shopping around for better deals on the weekly shop

I need to find somewhere to live where the wife can get about easily with the pushchair as we only have one car and i'll need that for work .. so bayside looks like its pretty self contained (manly/wynnum/birkdale) so thats where we're looking there
When you get here, i'll let you know where some of the good spots are for decent prices Capalaba has a good butchers

Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Errr sorry I upset you Paul, but this thread was discussing diesel v petrol, that's all. No need to throw the toys out of the pram!

Cheers

Buzzy

Ohhhh damm! ... sorry, I read it sooo wrong ... ... Cost of living Melbourne Vs England ... Diesle Vs Petrol .... Oh I see it now ...

All picked up now ... ... as you was ...
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I can't believe the price of caviar over here.
When the butler told me the cost I nearly died.

LOL
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:57 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I can't believe the price of caviar over here.
When the butler told me the cost I nearly died.
How dare he! I hope you sacked him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.