Or was that lovable?

Counting the days ...

Dinnie

Oh !

How long?? Where you heading for ??

It is lovable..well, I love it
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by OzTennis
A comparative view on cost of living and living standards between 2 countries, let alone the whole world could take you a lifetime and academics disagree on how you measure this. All of the anecdotal evidence in here is just that. If you want to wade through some stats which show the UK very slightly better off in average real terms* try:

www.bls.gov/fls/flsgdp.pdf

Inevitably the fact that the AUD has strengthened/£STG weakened to the tune of approximately 25% over the last 4 years or so has had an impact on cost of living Oz vs UK. In the recent times of weak $/strong £ there was absolutely no question about it, cost of living was lower in Australia. Swings and roundabouts? Who knows?

* a further complicating factor is that income is more unevenly spread in the UK so perhaps your 'typical average person in the street' is more common in Australia.
Well said; it's definitely about swings and roundabouts.

Groceries are generally cheaper in the UK, but I find that everything comes in such tiny portions that you have to buy more items than you would in Australia (resulting in a lot more garbage every week); and of course, the quality is lower.

The cost of public transport in the UK is ludicrously high, unless you use nothing but local buses. Property is outrageously expensive; give me Australian prices any day!

Cars are much cheaper in the UK, but (a) the suburban road system is poor, (b) parking is virtually impossible unless you have plenty of cash to throw around (or don't mind walking the last 2 miles to your destination), (c) civic planning is virtually non-existent, and (d) the roads are permanently clogged with traffic.

I think its all down to where you live (ie. city or suburbs), and how you choose to live.

On the basis of 2 years in the UK and 30 years in Australia, I would have to say that UK = lower quality of life, far greater disparity between rich and poor, and a lot more pressure to keep up with the Joneses.

Give me life in Australia any day - even if I have to pay a little more for it.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice
Default Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Oh !

How long?? Where you heading for ??

It is lovable..well, I love it
We fly out of Manchester on January 15!!

I'm from Melbourne originally so going home in one sense but leaving another which is equally as emotional.

So glad you love it! Where are you?

We will most likely try and live in Brunswick as it is between my brother (Hurstbridge) and my sister (Ascot Vale). Not quite halfway in between but Hursty is just that bit too far from town which is where I'll most likely work.

Why are you still up on a school night?!

Dinnie
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:08 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dinnie
These are the results of the Mercer cost of living survey for 2004.
My big problem with Mercer is they don't do this survey based on disposable income of the local population. It's all based on earning US dollars. It's used for calculating living expenses for US workers posted to other countries not people living and working in that country. I think this ranking is very misleading.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's right. And you get a subsidy on that conversion - plus a long-term payment plan, if you don't have all the cash upfront.

Thus:
  • Australia has been one of the leading countries to encourage autogas development over the last 30 years. The environmental benefits are crystal-clear. Government tax breaks have also made it economically viable. Check out the current tax breaks below.

[...]

Conversion costs are generally $1,700 to $2,200. The subsidy is $500 per qualifying vehicle, reducing the cost by 20-30%.

Source.

See also:
  • Autogas is used as a motor fuel because of its inherent environmental benefits. It has lower exhaust emissions than petrol, costs less and can reduce engine wear.

• These benefits have been recognised by consecutive federal governments for more than 30 years and bipartisan policy has been to keep autogas free of the excises added to petroleum fuels. As a result, autogas in Australia sells for up to 50% less than petrol and diesel.

Source.

Thank you Vash, I hadn't considered the option and will now do so. Is it much the same cost for any car?

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

We fly out of Manchester on January 15!!

I'm from Melbourne originally so going home in one sense but leaving another which is equally as emotional.

So glad you love it! Where are you?

We will most likely try and live in Brunswick as it is between my brother (Hurstbridge) and my sister (Ascot Vale). Not quite halfway in between but Hursty is just that bit too far from town which is where I'll most likely work.

Why are you still up on a school night?!

Dinnie
Because I'm forty with no kids !!! LOL

Am in Elsternwick

I flew from Manchester - a year ago - and haven't looked back
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Dinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really niceDinnie is just really nice

Originally Posted by fnord
My big problem with Mercer is they don't do this survey based on disposable income of the local population. It's all based on earning US dollars. It's used for calculating living expenses for US workers posted to other countries not people living and working in that country. I think this ranking is very misleading.
Possibly but overall, as Vash said, quality of life is better. Not a valid argument I know but I'm knackered and not had enough caffine today.

I hope wherever in Oz you end up Fnord you love it.

Dinnie
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Because I'm forty with no kids !!! LOL

Am in Elsternwick

I flew from Manchester - a year ago - and haven't looked back
But don't you miss the German Markets in Albert Square? I know I will...

Elsternwick - my brother lived there for a while. Fabby little suburb. Do you go to the Turtle Cafe and the Beach House? Can't wait to revist all my old cafe haunts!!

Dinnie
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

But don't you miss the German Markets in Albert Square? I know I will...

Elsternwick - my brother lived there for a while. Fabby little suburb. Do you go to the Turtle Cafe and the Beach House? Can't wait to revist all my old cafe haunts!!

Dinnie
Go to the Turtle Cafe

Why the ? Bored or knackered ?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by fnord
"Based on earning US dollars"? I don't find that anywhere in their criteria.

The results are based on local factors specific to each country; income is totally irrelevant.

For example, the criteria for their "health and sanitation" rankings are as follows:
  • Scores are based on the quality and availability of hospital and medical supplies and levels of air pollution and infectious disease. The efficiency of waste removal and sewage systems, water potability and harmful animals and insects are also taken into account.

Source.

This has nothing to do with disposable income, nor does it rely on the assumption that you're a US worker posted overseas.

See also:
  • Mercer’s study is based on detailed assessments and evaluations of 39 key quality of life determinants, grouped in the following categories:

• Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc)

• Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services, etc)

• Housing (housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services, etc)

• Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc)

• Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

• Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc)

• Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transport, traffic congestion, etc)

• Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports, and leisure etc)

• Schools and education (standard and availability of schools etc)

• Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom, etc)

Source.

So again, income is totally irrelevant; nothing is measured by US dollars or disposable income.

I would say that it's a very accurate ranking, myself.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Cost Of Living Melbourne V England=THE SAME

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thank you Vash, I hadn't considered the option and will now do so.
No worries, mate; my pleasure.

Is it much the same cost for any car?

Cheers

Buzzy
Pretty much, as far as I can tell; I'd imagine that the only significant differences would be due to engine size.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]Well said; it's definitely about swings and roundabouts.

QUOTE]

Swings and roundabouts was intended to refer to the exchange rate. If, as all the wannabe's on this site hope, the dollar weakens or the pound strengthens (less likely now with Gordon's Budget forecasts of growth so overly optimistic) then the cost of living will become relatively cheaper in Australia.

Just to complicate the issue further most of us on here will have a mixture of £'s earned in the UK at a different time at a different exchange rate that you might have earned interest on and $'s earned in Australia - so just using the current exchange rate to make a comparison of prices does not give an accurate view (which part of your wealth are you spending in the shops?) Still, it keeps threads like this going arguing about it.

OzTennis
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Go to the Turtle Cafe

Why the ? Bored or knackered ?
Knackered.

Feeling the stress of the impending move and in honesty am not coping very well! I keep wanting to cry and laugh hysterically at the same time. We are leaving so many wonderful people behind but there are so many more waiting for us in Melbourne. I'm feeling torn!

I will miss England immensely. I never, ever thought I'd feel this way but I will. The rolling green hills, the Yorkshire Dales (God I'll miss them), the people, the idiosyncracies that make this place so special. I am quite sad.

Then there is the logistical nightmare that is moving your life from one country to another. I'm sure many here have been through it and survived but I'm beginning to doubt I'll come out the other end intact!

I wrote myself a personal disclaimer this week - I'll share it with you...

I am having a meltdown of epic proportions and no longer have my wits about me. I can see them. They are running off into middle distance as we speak and I can hear their inane giggling as they mock me. I can no longer process sentences that use numbers so please restrict your use of them accordingly. My long suppressed emotions are erupting into the stratosphere revealing to me, once again, that the people I know and love here in the UK will soon be half a world away. This thought alone has led to my present state so considering the additional logistics of packing up our house, finding the cash to put it on a boat heading in the vague direction of Melbourne, working productively at my job until 3 days before we leave the country and maintaining a sane and sensible relationship with my husband and those close to me is, at times, just too fe**ing hard.

:scared:
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
"Based on earning US dollars"? I don't find that anywhere in their criteria.

The results are based on local factors specific to each country; income is totally irrelevant.

For example, the criteria for their "health and sanitation" rankings are as follows:
  • Scores are based on the quality and availability of hospital and medical supplies and levels of air pollution and infectious disease. The efficiency of waste removal and sewage systems, water potability and harmful animals and insects are also taken into account.

Source.

This has nothing to do with disposable income, nor does it rely on the assumption that you're a US worker posted overseas.

See also:
  • Mercer’s study is based on detailed assessments and evaluations of 39 key quality of life determinants, grouped in the following categories:

• Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc)

• Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services, etc)

• Housing (housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services, etc)

• Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc)

• Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

• Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc)

• Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transport, traffic congestion, etc)

• Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports, and leisure etc)

• Schools and education (standard and availability of schools etc)

• Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom, etc)

Source.

So again, income is totally irrelevant; nothing is measured by US dollars or disposable income.

I would say that it's a very accurate ranking, myself.
Clever clogs.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Knackered.

Feeling the stress of the impending move and in honesty am not coping very well! I keep wanting to cry and laugh hysterically at the same time. We are leaving so many wonderful people behind but there are so many more waiting for us in Melbourne. I'm feeling torn!

I will miss England immensely. I never, ever thought I'd feel this way but I will. The rolling green hills, the Yorkshire Dales (God I'll miss them), the people, the idiosyncracies that make this place so special. I am quite sad.

Then there is the logistical nightmare that is moving your life from one country to another. I'm sure many here have been through it and survived but I'm beginning to doubt I'll come out the other end intact!

I wrote myself a personal disclaimer this week - I'll share it with you...

I am having a meltdown of epic proportions and no longer have my wits about me. I can see them. They are running off into middle distance as we speak and I can hear their inane giggling as they mock me. I can no longer process sentences that use numbers so please restrict your use of them accordingly. My long suppressed emotions are erupting into the stratosphere revealing to me, once again, that the people I know and love here in the UK will soon be half a world away. This thought alone has led to my present state so considering the additional logistics of packing up our house, finding the cash to put it on a boat heading in the vague direction of Melbourne, working productively at my job until 3 days before we leave the country and maintaining a sane and sensible relationship with my husband and those close to me is, at times, just too fe**ing hard.

:scared:
I know where you are coming from Dinnie, and like you say..there are many people here that do too..

But just remember this..you have people here you know, and you are coming home....to a place that has a massive heart and arms that are wide open.
So when you want to say **** it - say it........ then remember why you are coming back.

Maybe I'll see you in the Turtle Cafe sometime ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.