Cost of living

Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by chris955
You still pay all the same things here, they may have a different name but its the same. We find it is more expensive here, especially food but other things are cheaper.
I agree, things do seem more here (apart from petrol). Think it's right to think of 2.5 exchange rate or would do my head in! The Oyster Bay wine I love is cheaper in Tesco for example, my mobile is a lot more and sky tv also (have cancelled mine as just download everything now). I think you could live more frugally if necessary but guess it's what you're used to.

I only grow my own herbs but a mate of mine bought a massive water trough and grows loads of stuff herself. You run the risk of everything being eaten by possums and things so I gave up when all my tomatoes on the truss were eaten.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Grown by your ever friendly, subservient 3rd world slaves/serfs
I watched a UK consumer show last year that highlighted how some fruits and vegetables are grown overseas and the process of getting them from the country of origin to the supermarket. It was enlightening.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I watched a UK consumer show last year that highlighted how some fruits and vegetables are grown overseas and the process of getting them from the country of origin to the supermarket. It was enlightening.
So how are the vegetables that are imported here grown and handled then?

This is a worldwide issue....not just UK
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. There is a price to be paid for ever cheap, airfreighted, year round available fruit and vegetables - and it ain't paid by Tesco's customers.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. There is a price to be paid for ever cheap, airfreighted, year round available fruit and vegetables - and it ain't paid by Tesco's customers.
or woolworths or coles...
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
So how are the vegetables that are imported here grown and handled then?

This is a worldwide issue....not just UK
I would imagine it is the same, I will not buy imported fruit or vegetables here or the UK.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:13 am
Bitter and twisted

I would imagine it is the same, I will not buy imported fruit or vegetables here or the UK.
What about all the coffee that people seem so fond of over here.

....or the dried fruit or.......
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There is no point as they are rarely cheaper than locally grown.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:14 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Grown by your ever friendly, subservient 3rd world slaves/serfs
Living in Lincolnshire.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Living in Lincolnshire.
definitely. Most will be in the UK's foodbasket though, aka the 3rd world.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:16 am
Bitter and twisted

There is no point as they are rarely cheaper than locally grown.
You mean the ones that the Vietnamese/chinese work gangs tend on the Australian farms
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

What about all the coffee that people seem so fond of over here.

....or the dried fruit or.......
I shall clarify, I will not buy imported fresh fruit or vegetables.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:18 am
Bitter and twisted

definitely. Most will be in the UK's foodbasket though, aka the 3rd world.

I thought you were being a bit less childish nowadays
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

You mean the ones that the Vietnamese/chinese work gangs tend on the Australian farms
As long as they are paid and treated according to the law of the land then who cares.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:20 am
Bitter and twisted

As long as they are paid and treated according to the law of the land then who cares.
Are they

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.