cost of living

Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:10 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by jad n rich
With that increase in the bidding any takers yet?
Someone might do it for $27.50 per person per day taking into account all expenses, sundries, and inconveniences
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:10 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Will be interesting. Okay I rarely use homebrand food. So you would save some money there but I like what I like and some things I am not prepared to compromise on.

The $10 included a kilo of bananas. Sliced cheese while onvenient works out a lot more expensive in the long run. And while a block of cheese may cost, it's very versatile, lasts and can be used in lunches, home made pizzas, cheese sauce etc.

I paid $11 for 1.5 (5 large) chicken skinless breast fillets (reduced from $17)
A kilo of premium mince (lot less fatty than hamburger/regular but tastier than heartsmart), cost around $10 a kilo
I use extra virgin olive oil and also canola oil for cooking (depending on what I'm making)
I also buy nescafe gold or moccona freeze dried coffees (or similar) and I like dilmah tea and some of the others like lipton vanilla tea now and again

I dont buy muesli bars or fruit juice except occaisionally (prefer to spend the money on fresh fruit)

Instant coffee by the way is only good for a couple of months once opened then it goes funny.
Curries: try pataks or sharwoods curry pastes (they taste good and last a lot longer than curry sauces) OR get a selection of spices and make ur own ; ie tumeric, ground corriander, cumin, garam masala, fenugeek, fresh chili, garlic, ginger etc
Your mushroom purchase worked out as $15 a kilo; thats twice as much as if you bought them loose! grab a brown paper bag and weigh 200g of loose ones next time maybe

If you go to those little fruit n vege shops u can score stuff like pak choy for about $1 a bunch and for under $10 all up, can make yourself a nice stir fry for you both for a couple of nights. Noodles are good for it and all you need is a selection of fresh veg chopped, some oyster sauce, some ginger and chili, and ur away laughing .
Anyway, good luck and remember that your health and energy levels come first.
See, this is why you can't make general assumption based on a few grocery bills:

I usually buy a block of cheese, but have gotten lazy recently, and it's stopping me from using more cheese(which is unhealthy, I used to eat lots)
I often buy the gourmet mince, if I see it's on special. This is the first time I've bought 'hamburger' mince(and only noticed it just them when I looked at docket )
I use the same oils(olive and canola), though the homebrand (signature) varieties.

Yep, I sometimes buy those curry pastes, but when on special I buy the others, easier, and can use in one go(for 2 meals).

I have made a lot of curry and stuff from scratch, and will do again, I go through patches of being 'into' cooking and not.
Have a whole range of spices and herbs, heaps more than anyone else I know!
Normally always buy loose mushrooms, don't know why I didn't this week

I have fish and oyster sauce too, and noodles, and often make fresh meals with those(with mushrooms, beans, zucchini, carrot, frozen pea's, whatever)

So as I said, we're not that abnormal, looking at one grocery bill really doesn't work.

I think our breakfasts and lunches make it all very cheap, and our dinners usually make up for it.

And yes, I buy a lot of homebrand stuff! (had coles 'savings' peas from a can the other day, eewwww gross, not having those again!!!)
Usually stuff is just as good as A brand though. Though often if A brand is on sale, I get that if it's cheaper than homebrand.(happens a lot with milk for example, though I really don't taste the difference!)
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:14 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

$27.50 to be precise
More like $30.

And that exludes eating out at least once a week, and a few lunches.

But, as I've said(5 million times!!!), we'll see what it actually is after a few months.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:23 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone

So as I said, we're not that abnormal, looking at one grocery bill really doesn't work.
. Nah, your not abnormal, and looks like you do have some variety and tasty meals. More fruit, fish and less polony, and only moderate amounts of cheeses be good.

I think the thing is we all try to be smart shoppers and like to think we do a more than half ok job with it. And yes you spend more some weeks than others,we all do, especially if your freezer and cupboards are depleted.!

I think though that the I dea of spending $220 a month for two people is what got this on a roll LOL. Maybe in that month you did. But maybe in the month before you spent your $400 or so stocking up, ya know.

I should eat more pasta too as that is great food and helps keep the budget down.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:30 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

PS (#101):

It also excludes most drinks. Only included about 2 litres of milk week, and maybe a litre of juice.
Beer and wine is not included(and I don't drink much alcohol anyway, certainly not at home), and we've nearly totally gone off coca cola and 7up.

It also excluded other things from supermarkets like toothpaste, shampoo, they are all on other lists.

One of those average meals like pasta and curry I would calculate at coming to about $7 for 2 people(includes meat, veggies, sauce, herbs, rice or pasta). So say 5 of those meals a week would be $35.
Then say a cheap meal at about $5. $40.
Then add breakfast and lunch: boring sandwiches and a few snacks.
Say 2 loaves of bread a week: $5. So that's $45. Add toppings and OLIVE OIL margarine. And snacks. And some eggs and buns for the weekend etc. Yoghurt. Milk. A bit of fruit.
Yep, 60/70 still sounds about right.

Sorry for making so many posts, but I keep thinking of other stuff....
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:37 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

. Nah, your not abnormal, and looks like you do have some variety and tasty meals. More fruit, fish and less polony, and only moderate amounts of cheeses be good.

I think the thing is we all try to be smart shoppers and like to think we do a more than half ok job with it. And yes you spend more some weeks than others,we all do, especially if your freezer and cupboards are depleted.!

I think though that the I dea of spending $220 a month for two people is what got this on a roll LOL. Maybe in that month you did. But maybe in the month before you spent your $400 or so stocking up, ya know.

I should eat more pasta too as that is great food and helps keep the budget down.
Yes, a bit more fruit and fish would be good. Still, we're healthy, are nearly never sick...
Polony... it's actually..uumm. will go see... oh, it is Polony... Wastonia chicken and ham? Pascal has it on his bread sometimes. Buy it once a month aprox. I don't like it at all, eewww.
Cheese: yep, cutting down on that already. Sometimes now have tuna sandwiches, or boiled egg. Trying to get more creative for lunch, but am not used to it, and I'm not a morning person, so always rush rush.

220 was low for that month probably, I've put 250 on my spreadsheet.
Yes, stocking up will be more, maybe 300, who knows...

Pasta is cheap(home brand, can't taste the difference!). So is rice. Brown rice, very healthy. Get is when on sale.
I also often get veggies on sat afternoon at Action. Last week got 5 cobs of corn for $1.50! And they were fine, had to eat them quickly though.
Also eating more pumpkin now (we didn't have pumpkin or corn cobs, or sweet potatoe in Holland. We had other things though).
Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:43 am
Banned

PS (#101):

It also excludes most drinks. Only included about 2 litres of milk week, and maybe a litre of juice.
Beer and wine is not included(and I don't drink much alcohol anyway, certainly not at home), and we've nearly totally gone off coca cola and 7up.

It also excluded other things from supermarkets like toothpaste, shampoo, they are all on other lists.

One of those average meals like pasta and curry I would calculate at coming to about $7 for 2 people(includes meat, veggies, sauce, herbs, rice or pasta). So say 5 of those meals a week would be $35.
Then say a cheap meal at about $5. $40.
Then add breakfast and lunch: boring sandwiches and a few snacks.
Say 2 loaves of bread a week: $5. So that's $45. Add toppings and OLIVE OIL margarine. And snacks. And some eggs and buns for the weekend etc. Yoghurt. Milk. A bit of fruit.
Yep, 60/70 still sounds about right.

Sorry for making so many posts, but I keep thinking of other stuff....
Actually Simone its all been quite interesting.
I tend to include shampoo and toothpaste etc as they are grocery items but only bought infrequently due to the fact they last a while.

I too have been known to buy some homebrand stuff ie; kidney beans or canned tomatoes
And Lordy Lordy, I scored a kilo of jumbo franks (saveloys) for $2 the other day
Toast and cereal for brekky is pretty standard in most households Id say. I usually have a cooked brekky one day out of the weekend

Sandwiches are also pretty standard fare for lunch, though I hate taking them for lunch in the warmer weather as they become unappealing and can even give you food poisoning in some cases
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:06 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Actually Simone its all been quite interesting.
I tend to include shampoo and toothpaste etc as they are grocery items but only bought infrequently due to the fact they last a while.

I too have been known to buy some homebrand stuff ie; kidney beans or canned tomatoes
And Lordy Lordy, I scored a kilo of jumbo franks (saveloys) for $2 the other day
Toast and cereal for brekky is pretty standard in most households Id say. I usually have a cooked brekky one day out of the weekend

Sandwiches are also pretty standard fare for lunch, though I hate taking them for lunch in the warmer weather as they become unappealing and can even give you food poisoning in some cases
Luckily I can put lunch in fridge at work! But yeah, melted cheese sandwiches.... :scared:

Kidney beans, that reminds me, I used to make chilli con carne quite often(from scratch), haven't in a while! Kidney beans, tomatoe, capsicum, corn, rice. Jamie Oliver has a nice recipe for it, and eat it with bread instead of rice is an option too.

We don't often have a cooked breakfast, but Pascal was inspired yesterday and bought bacon and sausages. And I had got those hashbrowns as a coincidence! And we had eggs and baked beans. Oh, how unhealthy!!! Mm, I must get his shopping dockets, otherwise it won't be added to my total for this month!!!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:23 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
Who gives a damn about petrol prices ?

I have alternative means
Hey thats I like it... I am gonna do thing first is to get a bike first....
Is it you.???
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:39 am
ABCDiamond

I would like to find the couple who can survive on $58 worth of food a week. I'll ask them to come do my budgeting LOL
That $58.02pw figure was for the Modest Lifestyle ie: Better than just surviving on the age pension but still only being able to afford fairly basic activities

The comfortable lifestyle figure was $162.24 pw for food

Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That $58.02pw figure was for the Modest Lifestyle ie: Better than just surviving on the age pension but still only being able to afford fairly basic activities

Probably one other thing to remember is that the figures given were for aged pensioners who very often eat quite differently to younger people (my mum still ate "cheap" meals that she had eaten since WW2 ) & usually eat alot less as well.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:06 am
Banned

Luckily I can put lunch in fridge at work! But yeah, melted cheese sandwiches.... :scared:

Kidney beans, that reminds me, I used to make chilli con carne quite often(from scratch), haven't in a while! Kidney beans, tomatoe, capsicum, corn, rice. Jamie Oliver has a nice recipe for it, and eat it with bread instead of rice is an option too.

We don't often have a cooked breakfast, but Pascal was inspired yesterday and bought bacon and sausages. And I had got those hashbrowns as a coincidence! And we had eggs and baked beans. Oh, how unhealthy!!! Mm, I must get his shopping dockets, otherwise it won't be added to my total for this month!!!
On subject of good tasty economic meals, one of my favs is Chili Mussels. I get NZ greenlipped ones from woolies for around $4 a kilo; enough for two and have them with crusty bread and sometimes a side salad :P

Don't forget the tomato paste, garlic and ground cumin in ya chili con carne
Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I'd like to see the people that publish these things try and get by on $29.01 a week each for food. Wouldn't you ABC?
Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Probably one other thing to remember is that the figures given were for aged pensioners who very often eat quite differently to younger people (my mum still ate "cheap" meals that she had eaten since WW2 ) & usually eat alot less as well.
A good variety of healthy foods that are needed for the body costs money, even if the quantity eaten is less. And do they eat less by choice or cos they feel they have to? Reminds me of the old people who died some years back all cos they were afraid to turn the heaters on due to the cost of electricity. Think that was in Uk, could be wrong tho.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:41 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

A good variety of healthy foods that are needed for the body costs money, even if the quantity eaten is less. And do they eat less by choice or cos they feel they have to? Reminds me of the old people who died some years back all cos they were afraid to turn the heaters on due to the cost of electricity. Think that was in Uk, could be wrong tho.
They usually eat less because as the body ages it needs less in the way of calories.

For many older people eating on a budget has been a long term habit. Variety doesnt always come in as a high priority - doesnt necessarily mean that the food isn't healthy though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.