cost of living

Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:55 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
They usually eat less because as the body ages it needs less in the way of calories.

For many older people eating on a budget has been a long term habit. Variety doesnt always come in as a high priority - doesnt necessarily mean that the food isn't healthy though.
And no doubt some "forget" to eat or regularly cut a meal out here and there.
Most of us budget to some degree ie; I dont buy steak when its $20 a kilo, nor do I buy cauliflower when it's $4 a hit. I, like most of us will look for alternatives.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:09 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say: hope people(in the UK) don't use my food bill as an average of someone in Perth, because it is very modest living, and we eat out reasonably regurarly(are often away at least a weekend a month), and hardly any drinks, and no alcohol included. No chips, biscuits, chocolate included either. Oh, and we don't have kids(and even if you times by 2, it probably still wouldn't be correct).

Mussels. eeeewwwww! (ok never had them, but dissected them in Biology....). I'm not good with seafood. That's why it's mostly frozen stuff if I do buy it. I avoid all the eyes staring at me in the fish section. Even prawns, love em, but only buy cooked prawns. Sometimes I get that crab/seafood salad mix.
Made sushi for the first time a few weeks ago, used those crab sticks that are in freezer section. (a lot of work btw, especially cooking the rice, but will do it again, though not often. Buying is pretty cheap and easy in some places! )

Btw, one of the recipes I make reguraly that I mention (From Jamie Oliver I must admit)
Aubergine cut up, fry in generous lugs of olive oil, with dryed chilli crushed and koriander seeds powder.
Fry till golden, then add tin of chopped tomatoes(get cheap tin of whole tomatoes, cut up yourself)
Cook for a while, add pepper, salt, red wine vinegar.
Add handfull of black olives(I use green, cheaper and already depitted)
Add some basilicum (fresh, but I use dried)
Meanwhile cook pasta(officially broken up pieces of lasagne sheets, but you can use any).
Chuch cooked pasta into wok with sauce etc, and finished!

If you want meat, you can add mince, that goes quite well with it I think.

If you use a big aubergine, and about 2 hands of olives, and enough pasta, this will feed 4, so for us, we freeze half.
No way does this cost more than $10 to make! Without mince, even less!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:58 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Just wanted to say: hope people(in the UK) don't use my food bill as an average of someone in Perth, because it is very modest living, and we eat out reasonably regurarly(are often away at least a weekend a month), and hardly any drinks, and no alcohol included. No chips, biscuits, chocolate included either. Oh, and we don't have kids(and even if you times by 2, it probably still wouldn't be correct).

Mussels. eeeewwwww! (ok never had them, but dissected them in Biology....). I'm not good with seafood. That's why it's mostly frozen stuff if I do buy it. I avoid all the eyes staring at me in the fish section. Even prawns, love em, but only buy cooked prawns. Sometimes I get that crab/seafood salad mix.
Made sushi for the first time a few weeks ago, used those crab sticks that are in freezer section. (a lot of work btw, especially cooking the rice, but will do it again, though not often. Buying is pretty cheap and easy in some places! )

Btw, one of the recipes I make reguraly that I mention (From Jamie Oliver I must admit)
Aubergine cut up, fry in generous lugs of olive oil, with dryed chilli crushed and koriander seeds powder.
Fry till golden, then add tin of chopped tomatoes(get cheap tin of whole tomatoes, cut up yourself)
Cook for a while, add pepper, salt, red wine vinegar.
Add handfull of black olives(I use green, cheaper and already depitted)
Add some basilicum (fresh, but I use dried)
Meanwhile cook pasta(officially broken up pieces of lasagne sheets, but you can use any).
Chuch cooked pasta into wok with sauce etc, and finished!

If you want meat, you can add mince, that goes quite well with it I think.

If you use a big aubergine, and about 2 hands of olives, and enough pasta, this will feed 4, so for us, we freeze half.
No way does this cost more than $10 to make! Without mince, even less!
Sounds yum

The chili mussels are yum and no eyes just beards u pull off. But don't use local mussels as they are way too tiny NZ GreenLIppers ONLY way to go!

For 2: 1kg greenlipped mussels
half brown onion finely chopped
2 lge cloves garlic crushed
2T tomato paste
440ml can tomatoes chopped
half tspn paprika
half tspn dried mixed herb(italian blend)
half cup white wine(optional, can use water or lager)
2tspn minced chili(or 2 red chilies finely chopped)
1T extra virgin olive oil
salt, ground black pepper
lemon slice & fresh chopped corriander or parsley to garnish
water as needed (maybe half a cup)

saute onion lightly in pan with olive oil, crush garlic into pan, mix in minced chili, tomato paste, paprika, herbs, tomatoes. Add about 1T of wine and 1/4 cup of water. Simmer for around 30 mins adding more water if needed to prevent drying out.

Clean and debeard mussels. Place in a lge pot(stockpot ideal). Pour in half cup wine or lager and stem with lid on for about 10 mins or until all mussels are open. Discard any unopened (usually they all open ok, maybe one stubborn one now and then)

Take empty shell tops off and arrange bottom shells with mussels in on plates or lge bowls. Pour salsa over and into the shellfish and garnish with lemon and parsley/corriander.

Serve with hot crusty bread (good italian or turkish is great) and aside salad if desired.