Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The confusing area of bundled internet?

The confusing area of bundled internet?

Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The confusing area of bundled internet?

Originally Posted by IvanM
TPG is cheap and you get what you pay for.
What does that mean though?

Since it was installed I never have a need to communicate with them, it was the same with iinet, the service was reliable. Optus on the other hand, paid more, but was on the phone all the time for a slanging match with tech support.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:12 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Optus and Telstra service is awful. TPG service years ago was tripe. With TPG you get high download quotas and you share with users who like those quotas. Basically you will not get the same throughput and latency as you would with Internode and IINet. If you have not noticed and service has been fine then the price is right. You get what you pay for.
Originally Posted by bcworld
What does that mean though?

Since it was installed I never have a need to communicate with them, it was the same with iinet, the service was reliable. Optus on the other hand, paid more, but was on the phone all the time for a slanging match with tech support.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Optus and Telstra service is awful. TPG service years ago was tripe. With TPG you get high download quotas and you share with users who like those quotas. Basically you will not get the same throughput and latency as you would with Internode and IINet. If you have not noticed and service has been fine then the price is right. You get what you pay for.
There are people on this forum though who have been TPG subscribers for years, and they say they haven't noticed any deterioration in their service performance as TPG's pricing has become more & more aggressive. You pay more for Optus, you get less IME...so 'you get what you pay for' doesn't necessarily hold true. No arguments that iinet's customer service is the best out there, well that I've experienced anyway.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:30 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

As I say if you do not notice the difference then you do not need the extra performance you pay for with a better ISP. To see what people are saying about their ISPs have a look here.

http://whirlpool.net.au/survey/2009/

The performance of TPG has not deteriotated, it has always been below the best performers.

There are people on this forum though who have been TPG subscribers for years, and they say they haven't noticed any deterioration in their service performance as TPG's pricing has become more & more aggressive. You pay more for Optus, you get less IME...so 'you get what you pay for' doesn't necessarily hold true. No arguments that iinet's customer service is the best out there, well that I've experienced anyway.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

+1 for that.

Then as a broadband customer you can add a heavy use cap mobile phone plan for $30 per month, no contract.

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_servi...cing/homephone

http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.html
bc, 1. do you get free modem with this $59 plan.
2. do you need to pay Telstra for opening the phone line
3. What are the installation costs like
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Called up TPG today, they said they may take upto 25 working days to activate the connection. Thats appalling
5 days to setup intallation forms/feasiblity checks
10-20 days to setup home phone, opening line and activation

Same with Iinet. Thats why Royal service of Bigpond rocks, they set me up within a week last time.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Called up TPG today, they said they may take upto 25 working days to activate the connection. Thats appalling
5 days to setup intallation forms/feasiblity checks
10-20 days to setup home phone, opening line and activation

Same with Iinet. Thats why Royal service of Bigpond rocks, they set me up within a week last time.
Part of the reason they have to cover themselves with these appalling long timescales if because they might be forced to wait for Telstra to do something...and Telstra can take as long as it likes. Personally I think these other companies deserve a fair go over the evil Telstra.

My TPG install was completed in about 10 days from sign up - I had issues with the line in my building which they were then fairly proactive in resolving.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Part of the reason they have to cover themselves with these appalling long timescales if because they might be forced to wait for Telstra to do something...and Telstra can take as long as it likes. Personally I think these other companies deserve a fair go over the evil Telstra.

My TPG install was completed in about 10 days from sign up - I had issues with the line in my building which they were then fairly proactive in resolving.
They are the most economic - $60 pm for unlimited. The only other providers which gives comparable package is Optus $60pm for 100 gig naked dsl. Even iinet is expensive as they charge $70. I think I have to go with TPG only I wont get free wireless router though
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

i went with iinet a couple of years ago, supplied my own modem and they had the rest up and running in 2 days. their customer service is second to none
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

This one looks good $65 and no connection fee. ADSL 2+ isn't metioned though.. What difference does ADSL 2+ makes?

Optus - Up to 120GB Broadband
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically as with everything, you get what you pay for. That may seem like a good deal but you'd be dealing with Optus. The last one you liked the look of may look like a good deal but you're dealing with Bigpond. I wouldn't go near either of them with a barge pole.