Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cocaine Offence - Spouse Visa

Cocaine Offence - Spouse Visa

Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cocaine Offence - Spouse Visa

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I think that the point here is that alcohol could in many ways be classed as a class A drug. The drain it extols on the NHS, Ambulance/Paramedic service, Police and Civil Servants in various forms is unbelievably high.
Some years ago i attended some drink drive lectures and the lecturer was a police Sergeant. He laid out various things on a table, including a "fake" joint, some talk and some small pills. Among the items were some small bottles of alcohol.
He asked all of those present to list in order what we felt were the most dangerous in terms of what they did to you. Need less to say we all got it wrong. Alcohol, in the police forces opinion, not mine or a scientists, but in the police's opinion presented the greatest risk and danger to all those around.
It was interesting to hear how people who deal with this everyday view the problem.
It depends on which perspective you view it from: there are not that many cases (I would assume anyway, but I think it's a reasonable assumption) of burglaries, muggings and the rest committed in order to fund alcohol abuse whereas any policeman will tell you that a very large proportion of *this* crime is done by people trying to buy their next fix.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
It depends on which perspective you view it from: there are not that many cases (I would assume anyway, but I think it's a reasonable assumption) of burglaries, muggings and the rest committed in order to fund alcohol abuse whereas any policeman will tell you that a very large proportion of *this* crime is done by people trying to buy their next fix.

I know what you are saying, and i also know that it has changed in the last few years but Charlie has always been a bit of a pricey drug. Its always been a richer mans drug, and because of that it has tended to be a bit removed from the whole breaking into and burglary scenario.
I'm not endorsing it at all, but it has to be accepted that it is at least on a par with drink. The monthly cost of the police action when it comes to drink related problems is phenomenal.

The current percentage of Charlie use in the UK is estimated at about 2.5%, while44% of 18-25 year are drunk every week end, and 25% of the population drink in excess of the recommended level every year.
As a foot note about 2600 people died in 2005 from drug overdoses, while in the same year 22,000 died from alcohol abuse.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:35 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
I don't think many would argue that alcohol isn't a major problem. However, it *is*, for better or worse, legal in most of the world and the US showed graphically how prohibiting it once it is established as a social "drug" causes profound and unpleasant consequences.

I am afraid that this woolly-headed "it's not their fault" thinking gets up my nose (that's not a pun, BTW). If someone gets plastered, drives and kills a pedestrian it's not the alcohol's fault - it's the direct responsibility of the person who knowingly consumed the drinks. If you can't accept that, then in effect no-one is responsible for anything at any time. The same goes for drug users - there's not exactly a dearth of information around as to the effects of the various substances so when you first take one you are perfectly aware of the possible consequences and should be held to account further down the line.

Yes, I *do* have sympathy for those hooked but I have a hell of a lot more for those who suffer for others' addiction whether it is through mugging, burglary or denial of health services because the doctors are spending half their time and facilities pulling these people back from the brink they themselves have jumped over.
agree with all of that .Not long ago i had a young lad of 23 years old working for me as a labourer ,he had a girlfriend and 3 young daughters .He was also a recovering drug addict and his parents had paid out 2000 dollars for him to have a naltrexone implant put in his stomach to take away the HIT they get from drugs .
He was fine for a whille then he met up with an old druggie mate from jail and they went on a car stealing and burglary spree untill they got caught ,he ended up in casuarina prison for a month untill released on bail ,he came back to work and on the second day he seemd depressed and gave himself a hot shot on the job at smoko time and just put himself to sleep ,he was as addicted to the feel of the steel as the drug itself and now his girlfriend and children are claiming benefits and are hapless awaiting victims for the next drug pushing bastard that comes around the school playground.

Last edited by sassenach; Nov 4th 2006 at 11:46 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:39 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
agree with all of that ,as you have stated its the knock on effects to families and society in general .There is something insidious about drugs they are expensive for those that are totally dependant which quiet often leads to violent crime and house burglaries so they can get enough goods together to satisfy their 500 dollar a day habit ,which by and large they would have no chance of earning legally .The few alcoholics i have come across ,admitly suffer from the same symptoms as a druggie but there reliance is on something not as expensive and will go for anything that is cheap ie Grappa and the cheapest shite vodka ,thus economically they are not dependant on robbing off the rest of us ,nevertheless the penalties their families pay is identical to a drug abuser .
In my opinon these people are weak willed and although deserve a certain amount of sympathy ,if they refuse to help themselves why should we as the larger community keep trying to help them .
But an addict is an addict, if they get of drugs/drink they'll probably get addicted to something else like gambling, which can also be just as bad.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:19 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulbarnet123
Hi All,

Im trying to obtain a spouse visa for my girlfriend. I have residency but havent migrated as yet. However!!! Last weekend my girlfriend went out had some drinks and someone offered her cocaine!! She tried it and as a result was caught arrested and placed on bail to return in two weeks. We still dont know what is going to happen, but it could mean court and then a fine.

This is her first ever offence and she has learnt one hell of a hard lesson, but this still doesnt help us now we are going to go for her spouse visa.

Does anyone know if this will preclude her from being issued a visa?

Cheers,

From a very worried Paul.
Leaving the arguments for and against drug taking aside for a moment, a couple of things spring immediately to mind.

1. How much coke are we talking about?
2. Did she have legal representation at the police station?
3. What did she/didn't she say in her interview?

The reason that she has been bailed is so that the substance can be sent off for testing to make sure it IS coke, and not Vim or something that looks like coke. They can't charge or anything else on the basis that it looks like coke, or that she thought it was coke. If it was just a line or so, then it will be simple possession. If it is more than that, then they may be looking at possession with intent to supply.

IF this is her first offence AND she admits to the possession, then there's a very good chance that she would be eligible for a caution in this instance, which isn't a conviction as it doesn't carry a sentence. If I remember correctly, Possession with intent to supply is not an offence eligible for a caution.

It will depend on what her legal rep (if any) has advised her to say. If she has flatly denied the offence, and it transpires that it was coke, then the police will have no option to charge her with possession, which will go to court, and then she will have to try and convince the magistrates that she is innocent.

If I were her I would:

1. Seek immediate legal help, even if she has to pay for it, though remember always that legal help is free if you are at a police station. Talk to the legal advisor, and ask their honest advice. If it goes to court, then it will be considered a conviction as opposed to a caution, and there is no retreating from that once she has been charged.

2. Think about the interview, what was said, and what was not said. They will probably interview her again when the results are back, in which case she could then seek to receive a caution by admitting her [first] offence. There are a number of statutory defences to possession, but given she has been interviewed already, changing her story to one of these half way through the process isn't going to help her.

I think the best that she could hope for in this circumstance is to receive a caution for possession.

As to how such a caution would effect a visa application I have no idea, though people have been granted visas with potentially worse crimes on their sheets. I would post on the immigration forum, and maybe a visiting agent can advise you further...

S
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:10 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I'm going for an eye test! I read that last header as "Canine Offence" and my mind boggled
You cheeky devil - I know what you were thinking :scared:
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:35 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

A caution goes on record though doesn't it? Regarding police clearance checks.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
A caution goes on record though doesn't it? Regarding police clearance checks.
Yes it does.
-------------
The original poster really needs professional advice from an agent. It is not an automatic refusal case, but does need to be presented in the best way possible.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
As to how such a caution would effect a visa application I have no idea, though people have been granted visas with potentially worse crimes on their sheets.

S
Yes they have, but generally speaking it was for crimes committed a fair few years ago and they have had a clean sheet since. In this instance, because it is such a recent offence DIMA may not look so favourably on it, whether she has been an angel before or not.

Be interested to hear the result though.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:50 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Leaving the arguments for and against drug taking aside for a moment, a couple of things spring immediately to mind.

1. How much coke are we talking about?
2. Did she have legal representation at the police station?
3. What did she/didn't she say in her interview?

The reason that she has been bailed is so that the substance can be sent off for testing to make sure it IS coke, and not Vim or something that looks like coke. They can't charge or anything else on the basis that it looks like coke, or that she thought it was coke. If it was just a line or so, then it will be simple possession. If it is more than that, then they may be looking at possession with intent to supply.

IF this is her first offence AND she admits to the possession, then there's a very good chance that she would be eligible for a caution in this instance, which isn't a conviction as it doesn't carry a sentence. If I remember correctly, Possession with intent to supply is not an offence eligible for a caution.

It will depend on what her legal rep (if any) has advised her to say. If she has flatly denied the offence, and it transpires that it was coke, then the police will have no option to charge her with possession, which will go to court, and then she will have to try and convince the magistrates that she is innocent.

S

Thats what I said, but you used more words
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sassenach]I dont have a problem with your answer ,and i indeed know people who take Class A drugs and a fair few of them work for me ,and when you get wives and girlfriends ringing you up asking why jimmy hasnt been working this week and they havent got money to pay the rent and for food ,when infact jimmy has been working but has given it all to some low life drug dealer .These problems also occur with alcoholics and i dare say there are a lot more problems associated with alcohol ,but i have yet to see an alcoholic go right off on one like somebody who is on crystal meth does .[/QUOTE
Get a new drug free girlfriend .Theres enough wackos here in aus as it is

]good ,perth would be a better place without them all druggies are scum

from reading your views i see how so many of your staff turn to drugs

i dont think for one minute this girl is druggie scum
people make wrong moves and and learn from it
looks like she will pay dearly
lucky for you, you are holy`er than though
unfourtunatly we are all not the same

Last edited by rodandhayley; Nov 5th 2006 at 7:56 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

and no i dont take or condon drugs
Old Nov 5th 2006, 7:49 pm
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck mate,

She was really unlucky getting caught, bet she feels like shit. I hope you manage to sort something out.

Vics x
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:09 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russmcp
Thats what I said, but you used more words
Yeah, you're right - I'm good at that!

I must have missed your post when I read through the thread, else I wouldn't have bothered!

Doh!

S
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else think its weird that since the initial post there has been nothing else since!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.