Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cat owners in Oz........

Cat owners in Oz........

Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat owners in Oz........

Originally Posted by stenik
Forgot to say man called horse............your siamese is beautiful!! Please explain how I can post pics on here..........mine has completely different markings to Sara, but is my baby!
Beneath the box you type your reply in, is a button that says 'manage attachments' click on it, find the pic, upload and bobs your auntie's husband.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

stenik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Gordon used to sit on top of open doors He is too big now, his mother was British Shorthaired the vet reckons and we know his dad was siamese.

Yes we bought him with us, he never grew out of eating towels and even ate some carpet on the cat ladder in quarantine. I love him so much. He also bites you if you dont feed him on time, starts off gentley and then increases in pressure until you give in.

He only eats one brand and one flavour of cat meat - 'Snappy Tom', salmon and tuna flavour plus biscuit, we tend to give him what he wants being a senior boy of nearly 9 years old.
Yeah, Chintzie bites us too! How dare we pet her without permission! We absolutely adore her tho........ She is so precious us .

Nikki x
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Beneath the box you type your reply in, is a button that says 'manage attachments' click on it, find the pic, upload and bobs your auntie's husband.
Thank you! Will give it a go.....)x
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

This was Chintzie when she was still quite young. Still loves to be inside anything! Under duvet, in jumper, under anything that "was" hanging on radiator!
Attached Thumbnails Cat owners in Oz........-dscf0706.jpg  
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I dont have any single towel that hasnt been eaten, he really tucks into them as well and enjoys chewing the threads, bitter spray, chilli sauce doesnt work and he can open cupboards and we cant lock damp towels away and sometimes he breaks into the bathroom to get them.

Here is my big boy! Bearing in mind this is a large size dog bed he has taken over, you get the gist of how big he is.
WOW!! He os a big fella! He looks nice and silky smooth........
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have three cats, Frank, Eric and Dagwood and Dagwood is a kitten, Frank is white with blue eyes and she is not deaf, the other two are ginger and white. Thought I would keep the keep out of the sun theme going.

Had many cats over the years always two or three.

Where I live we have to keep our cats on our property all the time, they are not allowed to nip over next door to the neighbours, fortunately on acreage its easy to confine them to our property. I only let them out in the day time and they always come in at night, well they have to, cats are not allowed out at night.

We have to register our cats with the council and they wear collars with discs like the dogs. They also have to be microchipped.

I feed them on dry food, Royal Canin Oral Sensitive which saves me a lot of money having their teeth cleaned. The young one is on the kitten science diet.

I use revolution for fleas and worming. However when there are no fleas around like now with all the rain they do not get a dose as I worry about the chemicals long term.

Love cats
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:00 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Since others have posted pictures, here are our two just after we got them from the pound. They were skin and bones, riddled with fleas and worms, and Molly (the black and white one) was really ill for a time and had to be given rehydration fluids every hour for about a week (it was like having a newborn again ). The vet guessed she was five weeks old when we first got her, so she was way too young to be away from mum. We have had them for almost a year now and wouldn't be without them! Molly is absolutely lovely with our daughters, especially our eldest. She makes a certain sound when she sees her! Tabitha (the grey one) is a bit more stand-offish, but will come for a fuss and a cuddle providing it is on her terms! The second photo of Molly shows what a lump she is now. We call her 'Cat-Dog' because she wags her tail and rolls over like a dog.
Attached Thumbnails Cat owners in Oz........-img_3560-copy-.jpg   Cat owners in Oz........-img_3592-%5Bdesktop-resolution%5D2-copy-.jpg   Cat owners in Oz........-img_8977-copy-.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:12 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Domestic pet cats slaughtering indigenous wildlife to the point of threat is a total myth.

I have worked on projects tracking the metrics of native wildlife proliferation in Australia, including the impact of introduced species like the domestic cat. In fact we just starting into a project to measure the impact of petroleum companies on just such habitats in WA. Compared to the impact on indigenous wildlife caused by man (directly or indirectly) the kills made by domestic cats are a tiny drop in the ocean.

If government was really concerned about this issue they would restrict the expansion of commercial and industrial building into known habitats by requiring full wildlife impact analysis on all new projects. Far too much land is being "bought" by corporations and industrial developers without any consideration to it's impact on these species.

I should state that we have two cats, both indoor cats who do venture out for a walk now and then. Neither bring home kills and I doubt they could be arsed to be honest. Both are registered, chipped and well cared for.

Some "mousers" may catch the odd lizard or pretty birdy but that isn't made a dent in the numbers.

Last edited by bigAPE; Jan 12th 2011 at 7:17 am.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stenik
....mine has completely different markings to Sara, but is my baby!
Mine is a Seal Point I think your little girl is a Tortie Point with maybe a bit of Lynx.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Santa brought us this little fella.

Really we got him to keep Edward company and after an awkward first week they are now inseparable.

He is a really agile kitten, he climbed up to the top of the tree in 0.5 seconds. Edward (a very unagile persian) couldn't jump onto the bed until he was 6 months old. We keep saying our Australian cat is a lot sportier than his English brother.
Attached Thumbnails Cat owners in Oz........-rupert261210.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Domestic pet cats slaughtering indigenous wildlife to the point of threat is a total myth.

I have worked on projects tracking the metrics of native wildlife proliferation in Australia, including the impact of introduced species like the domestic cat. In fact we just starting into a project to measure the impact of petroleum companies on just such habitats in WA. Compared to the impact on indigenous wildlife caused by man (directly or indirectly) the kills made by domestic cats are a tiny drop in the ocean.

If government was really concerned about this issue they would restrict the expansion of commercial and industrial building into known habitats by requiring full wildlife impact analysis on all new projects. Far too much land is being "bought" by corporations and industrial developers without any consideration to it's impact on these species.

I should state that we have two cats, both indoor cats who do venture out for a walk now and then. Neither bring home kills and I doubt they could be arsed to be honest. Both are registered, chipped and well cared for.

Some "mousers" may catch the odd lizard or pretty birdy but that isn't made a dent in the numbers.
Great. Just make sure that when your cats are on their walks they don't shit in my garden. I'm sick of neighbourhood cat crap in with my vegetables.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:40 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE

I think the staff at Currumbin wildlife park or Perth zoo would beg to differ. With each endangered species, whether or not officialdom protect them, each one torn apart by someones precious pussy, it impacts on the species depending on how many there are left.

If every single owner took responsibility for their own cat, took control and kept them confined so they couldnt hunt endangered animals, then it would make a difference.

Nature is nature and if a cat comes into my garden then chances are my dog will kill it, he loves his own cat but as nature would have it, would more than likely kill anyone elses that came into our garden but hey, no great loss or impact.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Jan 12th 2011 at 11:07 am.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Mine is a Seal Point I think your little girl is a Tortie Point with maybe a bit of Lynx.
She is exactly that. Well spotted....! Apparently, she is a modern type. )
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Indented Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Our cat stays in the house. I don't think it's necessary for domestic cats to go outside and kill wildlife.

Keeping a cat in the house ?. My god if it got free it would not come back.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Indented Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Great. Just make sure that when your cats are on their walks they don't shit in my garden. I'm sick of neighbourhood cat crap in with my vegetables.
A friend of mine said she read in a magazine to put a life size photo of yourself on your veg patch and this will keep the cats away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.