Casuals

Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:04 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

My hubby is a mechanic, qualified as a car, motorcycle and agriculture mechanic, whilst in Brissy could only get casual employment had 3 jobs in 6 months, pay $13 - $17.50. Best pay was in a factory building trucks. He took anything that was going, this was it, they like to take you on whilst they have a busy spell and then 2 weeks later after you have slogged your guts they finish you because they no longer have enough work. I am not putting Australia down or trying to change anyones mind but this is the reality be prepared for it. Our removal guy who came to pack us up to return home had been casual for 3 years and hardly dared take anytime off because they may finish him!!!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:23 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Casuals

Kong,

I have been reading your posts this last few days, and I have kept out of the verbal slangings coming across your way, I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion

BUT

You are becoming damned boring and tedious with your posts now, you must really jerk off when you receive all these replies to your threads.

Why don't you do us all a favour and sod off for a few days, let us be with our dreams. Everyone will make their own mistakes and learn from them, they don't need you putting negative thoughts into their heads. Yes we know it will be hard but it is what we have chose so just leave us all alone for a short while ay what?

Christine
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
Personally I will shovel shite until I find a job as I'm sure most would.

Best of intentions and all that but the harsh reality is that there are plenty on here who have gone to australia, haven't been able to secure a job within their particular field and so return to the uk as its easier for them to get said job - they aren't prepared ( for whatever reason ) to shovel said shite.

separates the wheat from the chaft?

No malice meant - i'm a shite shoveller too.
With all due respect, it's easy to say you'll shovel shite - and perhaps you have actually been in a position to shovel shite - but the reality is that it's hard and demoralising. After all, you've spent most of your working life trying to move upwards. To suddenly hit the bottom of the pile is a shock to the system...no matter how many times you try to convince yourself you'll do anything.

I was quite fortunate that I found a decent job in my field within about 6 weeks of looking (same for husband). In the interim, I temped. My god, I felt worthless, undervalued, my confidence was knocked...worst of all was that I didn't know how long I was going to be shovelling the shite and I feared that my skills and personality would stagnate. Oh yeah, add to that the fact you're in a strange country, you have no social life, no friends and nothing is familiar.

As I say, good on you if you have been thru this before. If you have, you will no doubt appreciate that it can be an emotional drain - not just on you but on those close to you. If you haven't, then I hope no-one makes you feel less of a person if you come to a conclusion that things aren't working in Australia and you eventually decide to return home.

Incidentally, just interested who the 'plenty on here who have returned to the Uk cos they couldn't get a job' are?
HP
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walla1
Hi Megalania

Personally I will shovel shite until I find a job as I'm sure most would.
And how long will you be happy doing that? 2 months? A year? Strange, when I was in Oz, I never saw any Poms shovelling shite. It seems to be done by others.

People who claim to be willing to do that are kidding themselves...big time. But then it's all part of the dream, I suppose...

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jul 9th 2004 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casuals

Originally posted by kong
More Interesting news form "the land of oppurtunity" Hope the pommie refugees don't mind giving up their 20-30 days paid holiday, bank holiday/sick pay. Pah, who cares about employment rights and guarantees on pay/working hours and not been laid off with an hours notice?? Who needs such trappings when you have the beach??

Seems like the Aussie employment market is resembling that of the third world as it is revealed that;

More than half jobs now casual
By Aban Contractor
June 7, 2004

More than half of all new jobs created in the past 16 years have gone to casual workers with just over a quarter now employed on a casual basis, making them ineligible for paid sick leave or holiday pay.

Research compiled by the federal parliamentary library shows that almost 60 per cent of casual employees do not know how much they will earn in a week and more than one in three would prefer to work longer hours.

They are less likely to be covered by workers compensation and more likely to work on weekends, not have undergone training and have no superannuation coverage.

"This analysis lends weight to the argument that casual employment is not a preferred option for many workers, but rather an alternative to unemployment when no ongoing jobs are available," the paper, Casual employment: trends and characteristics, says.

"... In the 15 years to 2003, male casual employment grew by 151 per cent compared with an increase of 62 per cent in female casual employment. Today there are about an equal number of males as there are females in casual work."

Tasmania, Queensland and South Australia - each with well over a quarter of all workers in casual jobs - have the highest incidence of casual employment. NSW is fourth with just over one in four workers.

Labor's workplace relations spokesman, Craig Emerson, said the figures destroyed Federal Government claims that all casuals freely chose to be casuals, adding that the trend was set to accelerate with one in three workers expected to be casual by the end of the decade.

"This research also confirms that the alarming growth in casual work as a form of employment is not good for Australia's skills development," he said yesterday. "Businesses don't have the same incentives to invest in the skills of casual workers as they do in a permanent workforce."

But the Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations, Kevin Andrews, said the Australian Government supported casual employment as a legitimate and essential part of a flexible labour market.

"We need a flexible labour market to create more jobs and higher wages for more Australians," he said. "Casual work is often the preferred option of people such as students balancing work and study or mothers returning to the workforce."

The ACTU secretary, Greg Combet, said there were 2.2 million casual workers in Australia who had no access to paid sick leave or paid annual holidays. Sixty per cent of those people - more than 1.3 million - were long-term casuals who had been with their employer for more than a year.

"Around 450,000 casuals have been with their employer more than five years - these people are permanent employees in all but name," Mr Combet said. "On a personal level, casuals have difficulty borrowing for a home or car, accessing childcare and managing their household budgets. They even miss out on paid leave to care for a sick child."

The paper found that more than one in five casuals were in the 25-34-year age group and, with the exception of students, casual employment was probably "an involuntary work arrangement" for many workers.

Forty per cent of casuals had a post-school qualification and only 11 per cent had a bachelor degree or higher whereas the corresponding figure for employees in permanent work was 59 per cent and 24 per cent.

ALL aboard the Dreamland Express!!

OK we have done the standard 2 pages of Kong is posting rubbish but what he has posted is completely TRUE.

And employers take advantage of it, quiet day you get the call dont come in, quiet day they can send you home after 2 hours minimum work and they do. Busy day ring at 9am for a 10 am start, worse still 6pm come in now. Work conditions are NOT what they are in the UK. But yes you do get about an extra $2.00 an hour for the inconvenience

Plenty of people with qualificatons are employed this way too, not just the unskilled.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 9th 2004 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:53 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
With all due respect, it's easy to say you'll shovel shite - and perhaps you have actually been in a position to shovel shite - but the reality is that it's hard and demoralising. After all, you've spent most of your working life trying to move upwards. To suddenly hit the bottom of the pile is a shock to the system...no matter how many times you try to convince yourself you'll do anything.

I was quite fortunate that I found a decent job in my field within about 6 weeks of looking (same for husband). In the interim, I temped. My god, I felt worthless, undervalued, my confidence was knocked...worst of all was that I didn't know how long I was going to be shovelling the shite and I feared that my skills and personality would stagnate. Oh yeah, add to that the fact you're in a strange country, you have no social life, no friends and nothing is familiar.

As I say, good on you if you have been thru this before. If you have, you will no doubt appreciate that it can be an emotional drain - not just on you but on those close to you. If you haven't, then I hope no-one makes you feel less of a person if you come to a conclusion that things aren't working in Australia and you eventually decide to return home.

Incidentally, just interested who the 'plenty on here who have returned to the Uk cos they couldn't get a job' are?
HP
Hi HIddenPaw and others

I did shovel shite for 6 years when I left school as a labourer in a print factory because I left school unemployed under Thatchers Government when they stopped apprenticeships. Northern Town, coal mines and heavy industries such as the ship yards. So I know what it's like and would do it again. My first child was born when I shovelled shite so I know how to get by. I got educated as an adult and found the "ladder" to where I am now. I now have a national postion with a leading learning disability organisation so there you go.

My point that I was trying to make is you will do anything to get by and if that's shovelling shite then so be it.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to be where I am now in Oz, somewhere in the middle would be fine, don't want the pressures I face today.

There you go, will step off my high horse!!

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Walla
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

As in Britain Oz companies employ casuals but keep them for years because of the lower compliance costs and because they are easier to fire. It is the way the world is going.

Do you have any comparative stats Kong or is this another mindless c&p.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walla1
Hi HIddenPaw and others

I did shovel shite for 6 years when I left school as a labourer in a print factory because I left school unemployed under Thatchers Government when they stopped apprenticeships. Northern Town, coal mines and heavy industries such as the ship yards. So I know what it's like and would do it again. My first child was born when I shovelled shite so I know how to get by. I got educated as an adult and found the "ladder" to where I am now. I now have a national postion with a leading learning disability organisation so there you go.

My point that I was trying to make is you will do anything to get by and if that's shovelling shite then so be it.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to be where I am now in Oz, somewhere in the middle would be fine, don't want the pressures I face today.

There you go, will step off my high horse!!

Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Walla
Fair play to you Walla, if you've done it. The thing is you shovelled shite when you left school and since then you have climbed upwards. BUT - have you ever dropped back to the bottom again, against your will? I mean, imagine if your company demoted you to position of mailroom boy? One of the sad facts is that people in the workplace will treat the mailroom boy like a piece of shit because they think he's stupid, or can't be arsed to better himself, etc - you may be surprised at the sort of predjudices you come up against when you get labelled with a crap job!!! When you're used to dealing with the Diretor and all of a sudden even the receptionist (no disrespect to receptionists) turns her nose up at you?

Of course people will get by..survival instinct and all that. WHat I was trying to say is that it isn't as easy as people like to think...and surely people can't be ridiculed because they chose to cut their losses and move back to UK.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:46 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Fair play to you Walla, if you've done it. The thing is you shovelled shite when you left school and since then you have climbed upwards. BUT - have you ever dropped back to the bottom again, against your will? I mean, imagine if your company demoted you to position of mailroom boy? One of the sad facts is that people in the workplace will treat the mailroom boy like a piece of shit because they think he's stupid, or can't be arsed to better himself, etc - you may be surprised at the sort of predjudices you come up against when you get labelled with a crap job!!! When you're used to dealing with the Diretor and all of a sudden even the receptionist (no disrespect to receptionists) turns her nose up at you?

Of course people will get by..survival instinct and all that. WHat I was trying to say is that it isn't as easy as people like to think...and surely people can't be ridiculed because they chose to cut their losses and move back to UK.
Anyone going unprepared to another country, for example Aus, will take a step or three down and will have to work hard to move up to the level of in-competence they previously attained.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I'd like to hear from trades men and women:

Could you have obtained your Aus trade certificates whilst in the UK through distance learning and examination?

Last edited by Megalania; Jul 10th 2004 at 2:33 am.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 5:26 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HiddenPaw

Well, no, I haven't gone "downwards" since I started in my profession but I'm sure my survival instincts will help me manage, I hope!! However I've been at the "bottom" and I know how to get by, I've learned to deal with employment snobbery all be it through whit, shit and sarcasm!!

Time will tell it's like anything I suppose. I have never once ridiculed anyone who has returned back to the UK, in fact I only have admiration for people that have (did you think I have been ridicling people that have returned?). I may have to come back myself if things don't work out, I'm a realist. I know it will not be easy but I'm giving it a shot anyway and if all else fails I'm sure that print factory still open....!!!

Walla

Walla
Old Jul 10th 2004, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania
I'd like to hear from trades men and women:

Could you have obtained your Aus trade certificates whilst in the UK through distance learning and examination?
Megs
My other half has been studying for a restricted letting agents licence via correspondance. We will need this to start our business when we arrive. He was able to study this through the Tafe in Qld.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 6:52 am
Banned

Originally posted by debsy
Megs
My other half has been studying for a restricted letting agents licence via correspondance. We will need this to start our business when we arrive. He was able to study this through the Tafe in Qld.
Ta - buy or build the business?

Qld: Skills recognition

Qld: Recognition of work or training (trade recognition)
Old Jul 10th 2004, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania
Ta - buy or build the business?

Qld: Skills recognition

Qld: Recognition of work or training (trade recognition)
To buy and run the business.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 7:04 am
Banned

Originally posted by debsy
To buy and run the business.
Imagine you know - I'll say it anyway - spend money on a good accountant / lawyer / valuer to look over the business thoroughly - consider it another "license fee".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.