Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Casual Internet connections in NZ

Casual Internet connections in NZ

Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

We are staying in the Academy Motel Inn at Botany Downs, near Howick.
Very nice place. Would highly recommend. Very friendly people. The room is better than our house with a corner jet bath which the kids love, and underfloor heating. We have a 2 bedroom appartment

Paul
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pastor Flaps
Hi Tony

I read your thread just as I was leaving the UK for our trip to NZ and was concerned about how we were going to get access as I was bringing my Laptop with me.

Well I didnt need to worry as it is a piece of cake. I went to Dick Smiths, picked up a Quik Internet Pack for $24.75 for 20 hours. Followed the mickey mouse instructions and hey here we are on the net catching up with our old friends on Brit Expats.
As they say it does what it dsays on the can, no contract, no menthly bill, no connection fee. Before we left I had my laptop rebuilt and reformated and it had not poreviously had any internet connections setup and still I had no problems.
You just buy topup packs as you would with a mobile.

As for telephone connections, the motel I am staying in has 2 phone points, 1 for dial up and 1 for ADSL (I think) We were recommedned to use the dial up as it is only $2 per hour. The conector on my cable fits both sockets with no adapater required (it is the small sized one)
The connection is a little slow at 31,000 however this could be the phone line or my laptop.

The feeling of getting connected so easlily and being to email family is great.
For those considering bringing your laptop, go for it.

Anyone need more info, let me know.

Paul
That's great, Paul.

In the end, I decided to go with net2Roam. I thinks it's pricier at 16p per minute (if you don't buy huge amounts of credit). But my main concern is e-mail and it doesn't take long to download a few pieces of e-mail and send a couple. And I was able to check it all out here before I leave. It's easy to set up and to top up.

However, now you've shown Quik Internet to work, I might also pick up a pack and that will give me more options or low cost browsing, if I need it.

What address did you use on the on-line sign up?
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The connection is a little slow at 31,000 however this could be the phone line or my laptop.

Paul
Paul,

A motel owner I contacted said that most motels have lower speed connections, about the speed you mentioned. I don't know why that is but it sounds like you won't get much faster than that.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

With Quik Internet I have setup a new email address whilst we are in NZ which I have communicated to all our friends and family, which means we can write our emails offline in Outlook, and then logon and download. This saves loads of time from using my usual Hotmail address.
As we currently have our house sale going through due to complete 2 weeks after we return is is essential we can keep in touch with our solicitor.

Paul
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

With Quik Internet I have setup a new email address whilst we are in NZ which I have communicated to all our friends and family, which means we can write our emails offline in Outlook, and then logon and download. This saves loads of time from using my usual Hotmail address.
As we currently have our house sale going through due to complete 2 weeks after we return is is essential we can keep in touch with our solicitor.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I was referring to the home address that the sign up page has on the Quik Internet site, when activating your account to begin with. Did you just use the motel address? I would guess that they don't do any checks on it, so you could put anything.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:56 pm
hippychick1966

Thumbs up Re: Casual Internet connections in NZ

Originally posted by sofistek
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get some deal for making occasional Internet connections whilst over in NZ for a short while? I'll be over there next month for a few weeks and would really like to be able to hook up for short periods from my motel room(s). Has anyone done this? I don't mind paying a few cents per minute for a phone call, but don't really want a full blown ISP contract. At least not yet.

Cheers,
Tony

Have you tried registering with ekit.com. Try logging on to www.bridgetheworld.ekit.com for further details. You can use this service to access e mails, sending text messages and making telephone calls by registering and using a PIN number.

Good luck

Cheryl

Old Aug 16th 2003, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep - when we stayed in a motel in Papamoa the connection speed was about 31,000. When we moved into our house it was up in the 40's.

Nicola.

Paul,

A motel owner I contacted said that most motels have lower speed connections, about the speed you mentioned. I don't know why that is but it sounds like you won't get much faster than that.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:46 am
Just Joined

jon k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Casual Internet connections in NZ

Yeah, I guess that would do it, provided I can connect from a motel/hotel room phone. Has anyone done this? Thanks for the suggestion, Tori; if you have any info, please pass it along.

Thanks to Rich for his comments! Hey, it's probably the biggest money spinner on the Net, so don't knock it. However, I was thinking more in terms of being able to download my mail and hang onto it (the mail, that is) for later reference.

If you are carrying a lap top I'm sure that a lot of the Internet Cafes I saw last Christmas had the option to plug in your laptop!

Better ask those in the know though.

jon
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Casual Internet connections in NZ

Originally posted by jon k
If you are carrying a lap top I'm sure that a lot of the Internet Cafes I saw last Christmas had the option to plug in your laptop!

Better ask those in the know though.

jon
Thanks, Jon. I think I'm set, now, though. Providing I can plug in a modem in my room, I have an account with Net2Roam, as an expensive backup, but will be checking out Quik Internet when I'm there.