Reload this Page >

Casual Internet connections in NZ

Casual Internet connections in NZ

Old Jul 16th 2003, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
Tony

I'm not aware of a no contract one but with Telecom you are not tied in, so as long as you pay in advance and cancel the contract before you go then I don't see what the problem is.

You'll get all the access numbers you need, surf the web as much as you like and then the day you leave give them a call and cancel.
OK, thanks. I'll look into it.
Old Jul 16th 2003, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Sofistek, you can buy a Quik Internet Quick/Start Prepay Internet pack at branches of Dick Smith Electronics and online which gives you 20 hours for NZ$24.95. You can then buy refill packs when it runs out. Details at http://www.quikstart.co.nz. The pack includes a CD to set up the connection on your PC.

Hope this helps,
Ben
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Superb, Quik Internet sounds just about right for me. No strings attached internet connection. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Ben.M
Sofistek, you can buy a Quik Internet Quick/Start Prepay Internet pack at branches of Dick Smith Electronics and online which gives you 20 hours for NZ$24.95. You can then buy refill packs when it runs out. Details at http://www.quikstart.co.nz. The pack includes a CD to set up the connection on your PC.

Hope this helps,
Ben
Thanks, Ben. That seems ideal. I'll certainly be checking that out.

Tony
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Will I have to buy a different plug for my laptop? Also what about telephone connectors for the modem, are they the same in NZ and the UK?

If I do need to buy these things is there anywhere in the UK that I can buy these?

Cheers,
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

From memory telephone connectors are the same as UK but you'll need an adapter for your laptop plug. Probably easier to buy one there, (Dick Smith Electronics?).

Ben
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

The telephone connectors are the same but you will need to buy an adaptor for your plug.

From memory they are about $12NZ at Dick Smiths or The warehouse
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much chaps, it is all starting to sound very easy!

Cheers,
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is another company that have an internet service specifically for travellers. And they have access numbers in New Zealand. They are at http://www.net2roam.com/

Has anyone used net2roam? Has anyone used quik internet? It seems that to set up the quik internet account initially, a NZ address is needed. Is this true?
Old Aug 9th 2003, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

I have a Quik Internet pack but have never used it. At what point does it ask for an address? I thought the whole point was that you didn't need an address to use it...

Ben
Old Aug 9th 2003, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I have a Quik Internet pack but have never used it. At what point does it ask for an address? I thought the whole point was that you didn't need an address to use it...

Ben
Ben,

I was just checking out the site and it looks like, once you have your pack, you have to set up an account, using a code from the pack, and also give your address. The form assumes it's an NZ address but I don't know if it's mandatory or not. Perhaps you could try setting up your account and let us know how it goes?

Cheers,
Tony
Old Aug 9th 2003, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

The pack says, No Contract, No Monthly Bill, No Conenction Fee, etc, so there is no need for them to know an address. If it's required you could just make one up or give your temporary address.

I don't want to set it up yet as you have to top it up every 60 days to keep it active. If I set it up when I get there hopefully I will have a fixed address and a 'proper' ISP within 60 days and so won't have to top it up.

You could always email them to ask...

Ben
Old Aug 9th 2003, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

The pack says, No Contract, No Monthly Bill, No Conenction Fee, etc, so there is no need for them to know an address. If it's required you could just make one up or give your temporary address.

I don't want to set it up yet as you have to top it up every 60 days to keep it active. If I set it up when I get there hopefully I will have a fixed address and a 'proper' ISP within 60 days and so won't have to top it up.

You could always email them to ask...

Ben
Their terms and conditions imply that they will need a reliable way to contact you, if they have to. I tried their "Contact us" link but it produced a "page not found" error. Kind of fills you with confidence.

I'll try to find out.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Tony

I read your thread just as I was leaving the UK for our trip to NZ and was concerned about how we were going to get access as I was bringing my Laptop with me.

Well I didnt need to worry as it is a piece of cake. I went to Dick Smiths, picked up a Quik Internet Pack for $24.75 for 20 hours. Followed the mickey mouse instructions and hey here we are on the net catching up with our old friends on Brit Expats.
As they say it does what it dsays on the can, no contract, no menthly bill, no connection fee. Before we left I had my laptop rebuilt and reformated and it had not poreviously had any internet connections setup and still I had no problems.
You just buy topup packs as you would with a mobile.

As for telephone connections, the motel I am staying in has 2 phone points, 1 for dial up and 1 for ADSL (I think) We were recommedned to use the dial up as it is only $2 per hour. The conector on my cable fits both sockets with no adapater required (it is the small sized one)
The connection is a little slow at 31,000 however this could be the phone line or my laptop.

The feeling of getting connected so easlily and being to email family is great.
For those considering bringing your laptop, go for it.

Anyone need more info, let me know.

Paul
Old Aug 15th 2003, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Good to know the Quik Internet pack works!

Where are you staying? Would be good to build a list of "Internet friendly" motels...

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.