Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is cairns the place to be?

Is cairns the place to be?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is cairns the place to be?

Originally Posted by Bix
It's not what you know, it's who you know.
You'll have to settle for the Sun
What a page 3 feature?????

WW
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
What a page 3 feature?????

WW
Good for house selling
Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:45 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi Snappy

When you talk of construction are you including large infastructure stuff hospitals, schools, pipe lines you know heavy engineering. That is our bread and butter OH does not do domestic stuff, unfortunately not qulaified to do that, although he can.

You have been kind enough to tell me of companies up there just wondered if the builds were there to support it. The reason I need to know is that we have a contact on Gold coast that can get us work as soon as we land but I want to be in Cairns so it really is important.

sorry to be a pest

kaye
Not too sure how much work in heavy engineering but I will ask the construction lot next time I meet with them. I woudl of thought though that taking in say some of the newer suburbs have started to attract the larger shops i.e. Woolies out at Redlynch, extension at Smithfields etc and the new road construction work going on aroudn the area at the moment there would be sufficient work...but I will see if I can get names and numbers for your hubbie from this mob that comes down.

Back as you were....minds in the gutter as usual Bix
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:31 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, its not the be all and end all if there are no new builds going up we have a fall back with boilermaking and welding but we need to cover our bases and the heavy stuff is what he currently does.

Thanks for all your help it really is appreciated.

kaye
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

We loved Cairns when we visited last month and hope to move out there next year. We originally wanted to emigrate to either the gold coast or sunshine coast and just went to Cairns to go to the barrier reef, but we fell in love with the place it is stunning. Everywhere we went was beautiful its like a tropical paradise. We are also from north east england wardy
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:07 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ronnie and Deb

Where abouts in the north east are you, if you are a geordie you may want to keep it quiet as soon as they hear you are they want to sell their houses, and get out of cairns...not sure why

We hope to be heading there ready for the new school year in Feb cant come quick enough for me. we were originally heading brisbane way to, but we visited one subub while there and it was so perfect, it made me reassess what I wanted and we have come up with cairns.

when next year are you hoping to arrive

Kaye

Last edited by wardy2; Jul 29th 2007 at 1:10 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Kaye
We are from Stockton-on-Tees not far from Middlesbrough but when we go abroad everything thinks we are geordies 'we sound nowt like em man'
We are just waiting for our visas and selling our house of course then we are off. It will probably be early next year. Were are you moving to in Cairns? We have secured some land on Trinity Park subject to contract of course.
We are a bit nervous about the heat that is the only thing that is worrying us. But i just keep thinking we will have air conditioning and others adjust so why should't we. Have you got a job? I am a nurse so hope to get one over there when we have settled in. Good luck to you anyway X Debbie
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:16 pm
aka DORIS

Hi Debbie

We are too hoping to be in cairns early next year and looking maybe to be in Trinity Beach.

We are waiting for a CO I wish it would hurry up its driving me mad.

Just finishing off house hoping to have it on the market 2nd week of August.

I dont work at the minute having a break to look after kids their sports schedule keeps me busy travelling round the country.

I was a project worker (mental health) and have a degree in socila policy, neil (OH) is the breadwinner (very traditional aren't we) he works in air, pipe fitting, welding and lots of other things. I suppose I will have to get a job when we arrive because the kids want a pool and Neil wants a boat, so will have to find something but i'm not bothered what I do to be honest.

Hope you get your visa soon

kaye x
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ronnie and Deb
Hiya Kaye
We are from Stockton-on-Tees not far from Middlesbrough but when we go abroad everything thinks we are geordies 'we sound nowt like em man'
We are just waiting for our visas and selling our house of course then we are off. It will probably be early next year. Were are you moving to in Cairns? We have secured some land on Trinity Park subject to contract of course.
We are a bit nervous about the heat that is the only thing that is worrying us. But i just keep thinking we will have air conditioning and others adjust so why should't we. Have you got a job? I am a nurse so hope to get one over there when we have settled in. Good luck to you anyway X Debbie
SMOGGIES!! :smile:
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wardy2
Neil wants a boat,
Remember, the bigger the boat, the more mates...

WW