Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is cairns the place to be?

Is cairns the place to be?

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

jamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nice
Question Is cairns the place to be?

Hi is there anyone out there? Thinking of moving to cairns in the near future and was wondering if theres a demand for plumbers. Really got my heart set on cairns
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:29 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is cairns the place to be?

Originally Posted by jamieffi
Hi is there anyone out there? Thinking of moving to cairns in the near future and was wondering if theres a demand for plumbers. Really got my heart set on cairns
Cairns is fab... Loved it when I was up there last year... Wish I was there now instead of freezing my nuts off in Sydney...!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

jamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nice

Nice one! Why dont ya just back up there?
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

any trades people in australia is in demand...plumbers earn a good income in Oz....go for it!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:55 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Good for a holiday, but do you think it's too small for live there full time.

Originally Posted by DrWho
Cairns is fab... Loved it when I was up there last year... Wish I was there now instead of freezing my nuts off in Sydney...!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I agree with merlin - lovely spot but to live there can be a different matter.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamieffi
Yep, there are regularly plumbers jobs available.

From the time you have licence stuff sorted it would probably take you all of 2 weeks to get a job.

Rooksies hubby got a job within 1 week of looking but before he started was offered another in the Gasfitting side which he prefers so took that instead.

If you haven't already done so put "Cairns" in the search box and that will bring up loads of threads to give you a flavour of the place. Lot's and lots of reading in there.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

120,000+ (and growing at 13%) is too small?????

I'm starting to think it may be starting to get too big...

WW
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

WW
Judging by the increaseing number of threads about Cairns that seem to be popping up lately I think its going to get bigger quite quickly! When we first started using these forums if you asked a question about Cairns people asked "where's that"
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:29 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure of the population but when I was there it didn't seem very big.
And your nearest big city (Brisbane) is 1600k's away.

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

WW
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Sure as hell isn't the place to be if you like surfing (like me). But if you're into scuba (like my kid brother, who lives there) then it certainly is.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:35 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

And your nearest big city (Brisbane) is 1600k's away.
Hallelujah brother

Tis a valid point and one of many reasons for picking Cairns.

But if you indeed need or want a big city then Cairns is not for you.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:54 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Well iv just moved here, 4 weeks ago. First impressions we love it. Im from a small town of 30,000 so this is big enough for me. Its got everything on your doorstep. I was talking to a guy the other day and he said there are on average 80 people moveing to Cairns every week. Im a sparky by trade and can honestly say there is more work here than you can shake a stick at. I was at one of the biggest developments at the weekend, 800 homes to be built on this one site alone. They say by 2020 the population will be 200,000 thats a third more than now!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:30 am

I lived in a small town before moving out here so not really a big city person. But I could get to London in 40 mins or so if I wanted to see a show / decent night club etc. Thats what put me off a small place here.

80 people a week is not that many, I think it's 1500 a week down here!

Originally Posted by stu:0
Well iv just moved here, 4 weeks ago. First impressions we love it. Im from a small town of 30,000 so this is big enough for me. Its got everything on your doorstep. I was talking to a guy the other day and he said there are on average 80 people moveing to Cairns every week. Im a sparky by trade and can honestly say there is more work here than you can shake a stick at. I was at one of the biggest developments at the weekend, 800 homes to be built on this one site alone. They say by 2020 the population will be 200,000 thats a third more than now!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:35 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in a small town before moving out here so not really a big city person. But I could get to London in 40 mins or so if I wanted to see a show / decent night club etc. Thats what put me off a small place here.

80 people a week is not that many, I think it's 1500 a week down here!
The other thing i think you have to think about is time to get to work and back. 5 or 10 mins and im home. I had a friend move to Perth, took him hours there and back. He lasted 6 months before moving back to the uk. I here Brisbane is going the same way. We did fancy been down Brisbane way but sitting in traffic puts me right off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.