Cairns

Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

richayl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cairns

Originally Posted by Bix
Keep your eye on here for both rental and purchase property. There is not a lot that misses this site.....
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=res

Official suburb profiles:
http://cairns.qld.gov.au/community/p...b_profiles.htm
http://www.domain.com.au/public/subu...irns#mapanchor

My personal view:

BEACHES:
Palm Cove – Caters for holiday trade with seafront hotels, apartments and restaurants along the Esplanade. Very nice. Housing could be pricey. Away from the beach will be cheaper.
Clifton Beach – No Esplanade as such. New small shopping centre out at the main Roadside. No real holiday industry here. Expensive at the water front.
Kewarra Beach – More affordable areas. Large development taking place. Not much in the way of facilities but not far to travel to them.
Trinity Beach – A mini Palm Cove. Very nice.
Trinity Park – No beach. Water inlet. Big money going in here. Want to park your yacht at the bottom of the garden ?
Yorkeys Knob – Marina and small beach. In flight path.
Holloways Beach - Flight path. Mmmmmm not my cup of tea.
Machans Beach - Flight path. Poor reputation.

NORTH:
Smithfield – Being developed a lot. Big shopping centre just revamped. Smithfield Heights area is very good. Gateway to the Tablelands and Kuranda.
Caravonica – Some very nice new housing.
Kamerunga – Mainly rainforest type living. Pole homes.
Freshwater – Older but seems okay.
Stratford – Tipped to become the next Edge Hill.
Redlynch – Offers a lot. New suburb spread over several km.
Brinsmead – Old and new. Better stuff tends to be up the hill. Good.
Park Ridge – East is virtually millionaire territory. West can be pricey. Good.
Whitfield – Older leafy burb. Some good, some bad.
Edge Hill – Older leafy burb in excellent location and has a good reputation. Where the yuppies live.
Kanimbla – New burb nearing completion. Looks good.
Mooroobool – Prime example of where good meets bad. Some very good and some very bad. City Views within Mooroobool is where a lot of big money people live.

CITY SUBURBS:
Old and undesirable places to be living unless it’s in a gated apartment complex:
Aeroglen – Read airport.
Bungalow – Old housing meets industrial.
Manoora – Probably the worst burb in Cairns.
Manunda – Similar
Parramatta Park – Just made the news due to increasing crime rate.
Portsmith – Not much housing. Industrial leading to the port.
Westcourt – Bordering the main Mulgrave Road.
Woree – Same as Westcourt.

SOUTHSIDE:
Earlville – Older. Better stuff is at the back toward the hills.
Bayview Heights – Where the original money people of Cairns live – or lived ? Better at the back toward the hills. New development there.
White Rock – Lived there 3 months. Never again
Forest Gardens - New burb nearing completion. Some good stuff.
Mount Sheridan – Older leafy burb.
Bentley Park – Nicknamed Nappy Valley. Cheaper housing. Lot of development out the back where it is now adjoining Edmonton.
Edmonton – High velocity expansion. Will be the largest burb I would think in terms of housing stock. Plans to join it with Gordonvale which is a 10 minute drive to the South so that will be a major development with new shopping centre. Plans to build another town centre.
Gordonvale – Semi rural. Farming and cane field country. About to go big over the next few years.Gateway to the Tablelands.
hi, you seem to be the Cairns 'daddy' so could you give us some idea on what the workfront is like please? Hubby is a joiner / supervisor and I am a secretary - got our own building and joinery company in England but really fancying Cairns at the min, just going through Vetasses assessment and hoping to be there towards the end of this year. Can't seem to find a lot advertised in the way of trades or any idea of wages, any help would be most appreciated.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:39 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns is in the middle of large expansion.

Residential housing, apartment blocks, industrial units and a brand new second city centre is supposed to be happening soon. I heard they intend 2010 as a completion date.

The building industry is in boomtime big style and as a result tradies are doing very well and are in short supply.
A lot of the raw materials come from down South and these are also in short supply and the prices have risen sharply.
A lot of firms boast order books lasting a few years.

How long will it actually last is anybodies guess.
Things like interest rates, empty investor properties, a downturn in mining or the holiday industry could all affect it.
However as it stands today the population is increasing by over 100 per week and it's all looking rosy.

I know of 2 carpenters who came to Cairns in the last 12 months and both walked into work as soon as they wanted it.
Both were fully qualified with C&G and were able to obtain the Queensland licences without a problem. Basically just had to make out the forms and pay the fees. The story goes that even relatively unqualified carpenters can earn a good living doing more manual type work.
One of them chooses the amount of hours he works in a week as he has enough for 24/7 if he wants.

A year ago the bloke I worked with went to work as a building site inspector. He said the fully qualified carpenters were the trade in most shortage and were earning over $100k for a basic 5 day week plus every second Saturday morning. Don't know if that's the case today but suspect not too much has changed.

Now I'm not in the trades and only have these second hand stories to relate but I suspect the wages are very good and only limited by the hours you want to do. At a guess I would say not many qualified ones are earning less than $70k and it could be a lot more.

There are always secretarial type jobs going and a lot related to the holiday industry. Pay is probably on the lower side.
It seems pretty common to combined secretarial / receptionist / admin type jobs and often these ask for MYOB experience. It seems to be a very popular accounts package here.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:45 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

OOOoooohhhhh so it does look like my hubby should find work in Cairns He's a civil site engineer.
Beth x x
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
civil site engineer.
Tell me, what does that mean Beth ?
Is it boss of the building site ?
Or more technical ?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:06 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Tell me, what does that mean Beth ?
Is it boss of the building site ?
Or more technical ?
He is a Civil Engineer in the UK, and he works out on site. He normally has the drawings (already designed by the architect) and instructs the diggers etc where to work.
He has worked in building new roads, upgrading water pipes, building superstores, sewerage works (nice), installing a nuclear power plant.....anything that requires an engineer on site to specify what the drawings say.
Beth x x
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
He is a Civil Engineer in the UK, and he works out on site. He normally has the drawings (already designed by the architect) and instructs the diggers etc where to work.
He has worked in building new roads, upgrading water pipes, building superstores, sewerage works (nice), installing a nuclear power plant.....anything that requires an engineer on site to specify what the drawings say.
Beth x x
Thanks for that.

There's also a major road development at some time.
They're making the road from Smithfield up the hills to Kuranda on the Tablelands into a dual carriageway.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:25 am
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by Bix
Thanks for that.

There's also a major road development at some time.
They're making the road from Smithfield up the hills to Kuranda on the Tablelands into a dual carriageway.
Brilliant news Just going to read through your thread about where to live in Cairns now.
Beth x x
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix
Cairns is in the middle of large expansion.

Residential housing, apartment blocks, industrial units and a brand new second city centre is supposed to be happening soon. I heard they intend 2010 as a completion date.

The building industry is in boomtime big style and as a result tradies are doing very well and are in short supply.
A lot of the raw materials come from down South and these are also in short supply and the prices have risen sharply.
A lot of firms boast order books lasting a few years.

How long will it actually last is anybodies guess.
Things like interest rates, empty investor properties, a downturn in mining or the holiday industry could all affect it.
However as it stands today the population is increasing by over 100 per week and it's all looking rosy.

I know of 2 carpenters who came to Cairns in the last 12 months and both walked into work as soon as they wanted it.
Both were fully qualified with C&G and were able to obtain the Queensland licences without a problem. Basically just had to make out the forms and pay the fees. The story goes that even relatively unqualified carpenters can earn a good living doing more manual type work.
One of them chooses the amount of hours he works in a week as he has enough for 24/7 if he wants.

A year ago the bloke I worked with went to work as a building site inspector. He said the fully qualified carpenters were the trade in most shortage and were earning over $100k for a basic 5 day week plus every second Saturday morning. Don't know if that's the case today but suspect not too much has changed.

Now I'm not in the trades and only have these second hand stories to relate but I suspect the wages are very good and only limited by the hours you want to do. At a guess I would say not many qualified ones are earning less than $70k and it could be a lot more.

There are always secretarial type jobs going and a lot related to the holiday industry. Pay is probably on the lower side.
It seems pretty common to combined secretarial / receptionist / admin type jobs and often these ask for MYOB experience. It seems to be a very popular accounts package here.
Thanks so much for that, very informative and helpful. Really like the look of Cairns and with all that going on workwise it looks really promising....
We're a young couple with 3 year old twins and a 13 year old daughter, is there plenty for us all to do? Heard the fashion shopping's not up to much is that right? We're all quite into our clothes..... perhaps we'll finally save some money then!!!! How long have you been there and do you love it???
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by richayl
Thanks so much for that, very informative and helpful. Really like the look of Cairns and with all that going on workwise it looks really promising....
We're a young couple with 3 year old twins and a 13 year old daughter, is there plenty for us all to do? Heard the fashion shopping's not up to much is that right? We're all quite into our clothes..... perhaps we'll finally save some money then!!!! How long have you been there and do you love it???
The beauty of Cairns is that there is so much to do and see and all within a relatively short distance.
The nature and countryside is absolutely knockout stuff so plenty to keep you amused that will only cost petrol. Free entertainment on the Esplanade on a pretty regular basis. Free firework displays on the Esplanade at least 3 times a year. Free BBQ's in lots of park and beach areas. Free childrens playgrounds that are clean and vandalism free. Free bloody great swimming lagoon.
Lots of clubs for all sorts of sports and activities.
As it's a big holiday place there are lots of pay venues and activities too. Locals often get discounts though.
Over 300 places you can eat from top notch restuarants to fish and chippies.
Cairns is kept remarkably clean and litter free.
You get damned good value for your council rates here.
It's a family friendly society tolerant of childrens needs. I have found the populace to be more sociable and friendly than the other parts of Aus I've visited.
Hubble bubble if you want it or laid back central as you desire.
Plenty of choice for old and young.

Fashion is a perception of the eye
How many variations of shorts and tops are there cos that's what you will be living in.
I suppose it depends where you come from and what you're used to. I came from the sticks and think the fashion is fine.
Cairns is a place where dress wise anything goes. You literally wear what you want and no-one cares.

I've been here for over 3 years and can't stand the place but they won't let me leave
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

CassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really niceCassienJames is just really nice
Smile Re: Cairns

hi, in the process of getting a visa and been looking at cairns alot which looks amazing! would you be able to tell me is there much work for plasterers there, iam am experienced in internal drywall, external rendering and what sort of salary i would be looking at! many thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix
The beauty of Cairns is that there is so much to do and see and all within a relatively short distance.
The nature and countryside is absolutely knockout stuff so plenty to keep you amused that will only cost petrol. Free entertainment on the Esplanade on a pretty regular basis. Free firework displays on the Esplanade at least 3 times a year. Free BBQ's in lots of park and beach areas. Free childrens playgrounds that are clean and vandalism free. Free bloody great swimming lagoon.
Lots of clubs for all sorts of sports and activities.
As it's a big holiday place there are lots of pay venues and activities too. Locals often get discounts though.
Over 300 places you can eat from top notch restuarants to fish and chippies.
Cairns is kept remarkably clean and litter free.
You get damned good value for your council rates here.
It's a family friendly society tolerant of childrens needs. I have found the populace to be more sociable and friendly than the other parts of Aus I've visited.
Hubble bubble if you want it or laid back central as you desire.
Plenty of choice for old and young.

Fashion is a perception of the eye
How many variations of shorts and tops are there cos that's what you will be living in.
I suppose it depends where you come from and what you're used to. I came from the sticks and think the fashion is fine.
Cairns is a place where dress wise anything goes. You literally wear what you want and no-one cares.

I've been here for over 3 years and can't stand the place but they won't let me leave
Thanks ever so much for the help, you say you're not a tradie anymore, what do you do?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:33 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by CassienJames
hi, in the process of getting a visa and been looking at cairns alot which looks amazing! would you be able to tell me is there much work for plasterers there, iam am experienced in internal drywall, external rendering and what sort of salary i would be looking at! many thanks.
Sorry James, I don't really know to be honest.
Most internal walls are giprock panels so mainly filling I guess ?
External rendering yes.

The way the building is going I would have thought there would be work though.

One or two jobs advertised here.....
http://searchjobs.careerone.com.au/s...51&search.y=12

Look out for Youngy or Stu who are sparkies up here. I believe they are on new builds most of the time so should be able to offer better information.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:36 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by richayl
Thanks ever so much for the help, you say you're not a tradie anymore, what do you do?
I just hunt zebras

Never have been a tradie Hayley.
Always been a penpusher.
I'm the logistics manager for a mining company.
I get stuff from A to B.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:42 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there much work in mining up there or is it all Townsville way or possible fifo.

May be an option if hubby needs the work

Glad you said that about plenty to do someone on wanted down under thread says there nothing for children that cant be right can it.

Thanks

Kaye
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:50 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Hubby been looking at the work situation in Cairns......looking really good
Girls all really happy that if we do move to Cairns we can have a pool in the garden
It's down to me then
Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!!
Beth x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.