Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CA/CPA Advice needed please!

CA/CPA Advice needed please!

Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CA/CPA Advice needed please!

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
When CPA graduates fail to:
  • Understand difference between prepayments and accruals
  • Understand accounting for financial leases
  • Ensure basic subsidiary ledgers reconcile to main GL
  • Balance the daily bank rec with adjustment journal ???? just to make it look right
  • Make payments in company Z yet the entries in company Y without any thoughts of intercompany entries

But they do:
  • Forget about audit trails (the auditors need to be telepathic)
  • Use pencil (helps when you have to rub out all your workings)
  • Keep any workings in their heads
  • Make payments by EFT but use cheque reference numbers
  • Amalgamate when setting up for first time in SAP the BOMS into one category ie Labour/Materials/OVerheads all into Labour - because its easy to enter
  • Bypass regimental financial controls when it gets too hard

Are people getting my drift

I should write a book
Oh God Intercompany transactions.........

Why can't we make prior period adjustments?

Why can't I defer revenue recognised last financial year?

Why can't I transfer a prior year cost to the Balance Sheet?

But I've moved it to the Intercompany account - why do I need to let the other company know?

What do you mean a reconciliation isn't just a transaction download?

Not everyone is that bad, but I have had two people ask me all of the above in the last couple of months. And they're both one exam away from qualifying.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

annamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant futureannamichelle2310 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NikiL
Oh God Intercompany transactions.........

Why can't we make prior period adjustments?

Why can't I defer revenue recognised last financial year?

Why can't I transfer a prior year cost to the Balance Sheet?

But I've moved it to the Intercompany account - why do I need to let the other company know?

What do you mean a reconciliation isn't just a transaction download?

Not everyone is that bad, but I have had two people ask me all of the above in the last couple of months. And they're both one exam away from qualifying.
Oh Gawd
I am none the wiser now as to which path to follow!!!!!
In fairness though, I already have the knowledge as studied ACCA so maybe CPA is the way forward????
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annamichelle2310
Oh Gawd
I am none the wiser now as to which path to follow!!!!!
In fairness though, I already have the knowledge as studied ACCA so maybe CPA is the way forward????
Don't fret AM - we can smell the panic from here! You'll be just fine which ever path you follow (in fact as you can see from these posts you will be an accounting god compared to the competition!)

For my own stupid PQ's error (and this one really has to take the biscuit) checking over the month's asset additions I found a new entry for a dust pan and broom...........
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
Don't fret AM - we can smell the panic from here! You'll be just fine which ever path you follow (in fact as you can see from these posts you will be an accounting god compared to the competition!)

Agreed, but if neither mean any greater number of exams, I'd personally sit CA, particularly if you want to have the option of practice or commerce.

For my own stupid PQ's error (and this one really has to take the biscuit) checking over the month's asset additions I found a new entry for a dust pan and broom...........

What was the estimated life?? Oh God thats made me feel better after spending 3 hours trying to explain how the provision for your liability should be on the BS not the P&L...........