Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buzzy's House Build

Buzzy's House Build

Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Buzzy's House Build

Originally Posted by CDM
Is it also much cheaper to build yourself in Melbourne (and by this I mean to have a house of your own choosing/specification built - I'm not a builder myself)? If so, what's the 'catch'? Why isn't 'everybody' doing it.

- CDM
It is not cheaper to have a custom-built house necessarily. It is probably cheaper to buy a project home.

Thousands and thousands of people are doing just this.

Buzzy
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:22 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buzzy's House Build

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It is not cheaper to have a custom-built house necessarily. It is probably cheaper to buy a project home.

Thousands and thousands of people are doing just this.

Buzzy
That's not a concept I'm familiar with. Can you explain what a 'project home' is?

- CDM
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
That's not a concept I'm familiar with. Can you explain what a 'project home' is?

- CDM
You go to a project home 'village' where there are lots of sample houses, all built by different building companies, all beautifully decorated and finished. It's a bit like buying a house from a shop - you pick your house, you pick your facade, you pick your bricks, you pick your tiles, you pick your kitchen etc, etc and then the building company plonks the house down on your own land. If you don't have any land there is usually someone in the same 'village' that will sell you some.

The reason most people don't do it is because the houses might look flash but are derogatively known as McMansions. They're not usually the highest quality and the available cheap land is usually on the furthest outskirts of civilisation, in characterless new suburbs which involve a long commute to get anywhere.

If have the cash you can get one of these houses built on a better plot closer in - but you will pay much more for it. If you have even more cash you can get an architect to design your house.

Check out here for a typical village. http://www.homeworld.com.au/ They're good fun for an afternoon out but I wouldn't buy one of those houses in a fit.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:05 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
If have the cash you can get one of these houses built on a better plot closer in - but you will pay much more for it.
In Melbourne if you have land in the inner suburbs, which is not on a new estate, the project home builders won't build there due to difficulty of access, increased cost of transport etc. Not sure if this is the case in other cities.

Buzzy
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:56 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

In Melbourne if you have land in the inner suburbs, which is not on a new estate, the project home builders won't build there due to difficulty of access, increased cost of transport etc. Not sure if this is the case in other cities.

Buzzy
Simon I checked with Metricon, Porter Davis, Henley and they all came in with the same price subject to soil test reports).

In terms of subdivision they would also do it but the price was double doing it independently.

I completed my soil test independently and yet they initially said they would have to take the results of their own. After discussion they revoked and said they would accept the results.

In the end I decided their buildings did not offer what I as looking for and are going through the road of self design and self build.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

Engineering, engineering.....

We have had to have another round of soil tests as builders tendering wanted to know whether there was anything solid in the hill we are removing.... which there wasn't

Also the house site has had to move a couple of metres so as to avoid tangling with a tree.

This part of the process is doing my head in.

On the plus side, I was up on the block yesterday evening and a flock of a dozen or more Sulphur Crested Cockatoos came silently flying through the dusk, settled for a few minutes for a rest in our trees before taking off again in the direction of the Dandenongs. Very lovely. Then the frogs started up their evening chorus which makes us feel like we're out in the midst of Africa or something.

It is such a beautiful spot. I can't wait til we're living there.... this bit is taking tooooo long. :curse:

Buzzy
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:45 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Engineering, engineering.....

We have had to have another round of soil tests as builders tendering wanted to know whether there was anything solid in the hill we are removing.... which there wasn't

Also the house site has had to move a couple of metres so as to avoid tangling with a tree.

This part of the process is doing my head in.

On the plus side, I was up on the block yesterday evening and a flock of a dozen or more Sulphur Crested Cockatoos came silently flying through the dusk, settled for a few minutes for a rest in our trees before taking off again in the direction of the Dandenongs. Very lovely. Then the frogs started up their evening chorus which makes us feel like we're out in the midst of Africa or something.

It is such a beautiful spot. I can't wait til we're living there.... this bit is taking tooooo long. :curse:

Buzzy
Before you know it, you will be sipping margarita's on the deck enjoying that great view. Whats a few months compared too 20 years
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

It will be worth the wait!!! I love this country so much and smile every morning I open the curtains/blinds....so beautiful!
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Engineering complete - check.
Builders preparing quotes - check.
MAJOR are-we-doing-the-right-thing nerves increasing - check.

aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh

Buzzy
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Engineering complete - check.
Builders preparing quotes - check.
MAJOR are-we-doing-the-right-thing nerves increasing - check.

aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh

Buzzy
Just think of the fun of signing all those BIG cheques every month or so! And how you will miss it when you sit watching the sunset and remembering the days when you could still afford to have a beer whilst doing so <g>.